Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is it me or is Madden 2004 too hard?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 02:38 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like this game. I respect that it take talent and football know-how to play this well. But I find it too hard in Pro-mode. I have no problem scoring, but preventing the cptr to score is impossible. What I hate most is when you have to switch (during gameplay) to a cornerback or a safety to cover a long pass, the guy always pauses for a second because the analog stick is not going in the same direction as the receiver. That hitch is enough for them to drop a bomb on you. I can't get the running game goin' and I get picked off at least 5 times during the game.

I've played about 35-40 games and I've won 1. I know I suck. There's my gripe for tonight. I'm gonna play another one....

#2 of 19 Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 03:36 PM

So after some bitchin and whinin'.....I won!

5min quarters....

didn't throw an INT
picked off 3 of them
397 total offense
rushed for 147 yards when I average less than 40.

could've held them to 10 points if I ran the clock down. but I let them have another TD.

so, my season is 2-13. Hee hee

It's in the game!!!!!

#3 of 19 Guest_RossTerry_*

Guest_RossTerry_*

Posted October 05 2003 - 06:03 PM

how would you compare it to NCAA 2004, if youve played it?

#4 of 19 Robin Banks

Robin Banks

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 05:04 AM

Too hard?! On Pro level? You are joking right? LOL! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You haven't tried the All-Madden level, huh? Posted Image

I only play on the All-Madden level. The rest of the levels are TOO EASY!

LOL! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 of 19 Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 05:22 AM

Rather than laughing at him, why don't you do something a little more constructive, like give him some tips.

#6 of 19 Chris Rock

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 05:29 AM

Quote:
I only play on the All-Madden level. The rest of the levels are TOO EASY!

Ahhh, an example of why I don't play sports games online.

#7 of 19 Randall Z

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 07:58 AM

I thought Madden was much more difficult this year than last. But after about 20 games on all-pro, I have gotten the hang of it and have the Skins contending for the division title (just like real life).

I would say it has a totally different feel than NCAA 2004. I think the gameplay on on NCAA is a little better. That's helped by the more wide open style of play in college ball. The atmosphere is also much better than Madden. And the commentary in Madden is terrible compared to NCAA.

That said, Madden is still a good game. The gameplay is much improved over last year's version, and the addition of the owner mode makes this game incredibly deep.

I enjoy being able to switch back and forth between the two.

Posted Image
Z

#8 of 19 Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 11:39 AM

I felt that this year's Pro level was much easier than last year's Pro level. From what I played of it last year, I thought it was a decent challenge. I played it less this year, and I won a game by something like 70 to 0.

I haven't tried the higher levels though, so I can't comment on any changes there.

-Dave
DVD List

#9 of 19 Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 01:16 PM

Post edited by moderator due to flaming content

#10 of 19 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 01:26 PM

Um, Ryan, what Robin said wasn't cool, admittedly, but it looks like you need to read this link before you get booted from the board.

#11 of 19 Philip_S

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 02:41 PM

I'm with you. Every game I played resulted in me either getting my ass handed to me, or coming up short at the end. It's just impossible for me to play defense in Madden. On the other hand, in NCAA2004, my created dynasty is in every game and my defense is tops in the country.

Maybe it's because I'm playing as my pathetic Bears in Madden? Getting whipped all the time certainly made it easy to switch over to ESPN NFL2k4

#12 of 19 Robin Banks

Robin Banks

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 11:26 AM

Post edited by moderator for flaming content

#13 of 19 Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 12:19 PM

Quote:
There is always somebody who will misinterpret what you post.
Misinterpretation can be reduced by being a little more careful in what you write. It's hard to interpret phrases like "your little feelings" as anything but condescending.

-Dave
DVD List

#14 of 19 Noah Gottula

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 08:21 AM

Back on topic. Im by no means an expert at this game, but heres some tips, most newbies dont know.

1. Pick a good team, both on defense and offense (they dont have to be the highest ranking, but you're gonna have alot harder time to win all your games if you play as the Texans.)

2. Run Run Run. Running play should make up at least 50% of your total offense (most newbies almost never pick a running play).

3. When running the ball don't constantly use the sprint button. Only use it when you are breaking away from the defenders. (most newbies will always hold down the sprint button any time they are running the ball)

4. On defense don't switch to the guy closest to the ball, let the computer handle it. (this is especially important when defending the passer)

5. Before the snap hold down the black button. This will show you the routes your recievers are running when on offense, or will show you where your defenders are playing on defense. Pay attention to what it shows, and then pay attention on how your players react after the snap.

6. Play that section called Football 101 in Game modes or whatever. Listen to Madden on why he says you choose particular formations/plays.

7. Read the Defense. I know this is easier said then done, especially if you dont know what you're doing. But before the play, look at how the defense is set up. Are the linebackers showing blitz? Is one of your recievers uncovered? Where are most of the defenders located? Etc. Eventually you will get good at this.

8. If you follow all of the above you will eventually start winning games, coming up with your own strategy, and start understanding the game of football much more.

#15 of 19 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 07:42 PM

Folks please keep the thread on topic and civil.

Thankyou
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#16 of 19 Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted October 11 2003 - 01:52 PM

Madden defense. Avoid playing a db, you're more likely to make a mistake resulting in a score than the computer. Linebacker is your best bet. Play a linebacker and cover the appropriate receiver, which will be typically either a tight end or a running back. Make note of what type of coverage you're into. If you've selected a zone defense, then play zone coverage, if it's man-to-man, pick up the appropriate receiver. The most frustrating thing about madden defense is that you can completely shut the running game down but the computer will tear you up with the pass play. It's amazing how many pass plays in a row the cpu will complete.

Madden offense. Audibles and hot routes are the key to scoring against the cpu for me. If you're running to the right, and the cpu's stacked to the right side, flip the play with playmaker or audible into another play. Look for situations where a db is isolated against a wide receiver and exploit that.

The cpu is cheap, cheap, cheap. Keep your cool when you build up a lead and watch as your team develops a case of fumbleitis. Absolute amazing stuff. I build up a lead, and my punt returner fumbles the ball which bounces right into the arms of a cpu defender who rambles in for a touchdown. Watch in horror as your teammates flail about on kick return coverage and fail to complete tackles resulting in another td for the cpu.

What I'm saying is that madden gets worse when you build up a lead. But, hey if I can beat the cpu on pro, so can you. I'm 0-5 in the HTF Espn league, so, I ain't exactly a great gamer. There's hope, just keep trucking. I'm going to stress the audibles and hot routes on offense. This will help you break big plays. On defense, learn pass coverage with your linebackers and you might even pick off one or two.
Xbox live gamertag.

stillfastasleep

Current xbox live games.Nhl2k3, Nba2k3, MotoGp2, GR:IT

#17 of 19 mike_frontier

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor

• 670 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 02:08 AM

I have all the maddens and 2004 is the hardest imho. I play in PRO and what I find to be a easy give is the pass the ball to your RB alot on screens.

Just hike the ball,,,keep moving the QB back and mabe try a PUMP and then toss or power throw the ball to the RB. majority of the time the CBs and LBs are double teaming the receivers and forgets the RB's or FBs for that pass. This way you can get a easy 5-15 yards a carry.

The game is sick at first.. but it really will come to you.

What I try to do is NOT get the best team and then trade off my high paid players for rookies and build them up.

Right now I am using the ravens and I swooped up Galloway (WR) from Dallas and it seems they cover him double. But thats ok... my RB, FB, TE and Sanders is open for that coming catch.

Also what I do a lot is sub the QB if he plays like crap. I find that useing the 2nd or 3rd stream QBs can be a advantage b/c now the defense feels they do not have to work as hard. IMHE this game is pretty smart.. but do not let it out smart ya. Try diffent stragity and it will work out. I am with the Ravens and I am 4-0. I killed the Chargers 54 -7 and then last night I played the CHEIFS and there record was an 1-4 and they were ahead of me by 14 untill the middle of the 3rd when I switch out REDMAN with 2 turn overs and put in the ROOKIE BOLLER which I got the win coming out with an 10 point led at the end of the game
31 to 41 I win!!
Good Luck. Madden Football is the shizNit!
Mike AkA-Frontier
My dvd collection and still more to add. **UpDated**
http://www.dvdaficio...San&id=mikeysan

#18 of 19 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 03:34 AM

I don't play Madden anymore (because I no longer really follow pro teams) but I play the NCAA series (and have 2004). Are they still similar in gameplay?

Defensively, I find that I like to play DTs or DEs and rush the QB or run stop. On run plays, if the guy I'm controlling is out of the play, I'll switch to the closest player (usually a LB) and try to pursue and make the tackle. On pass plays I'll rush the QB and then switch to a DB to try and intercept at the last moment. I love it when it says "User Pick" so I know the CPU didn't do it for me. I don't get burned often (it does happen, but mostly I knock the pass down if I don't intercept), but I have to use speed burst to make up ground, and then hit Y to jump and try to break up the pass or intercept. I play a lot of cover 2 and 3 in passing situations so there's usually another DB back there to cover my ass if I blow the assignment.

#19 of 19 Eman_Ramos

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted October 16 2003 - 05:39 AM

Hot Routes and Audibles are your friends.

I try to only play on All-Madden mode too, but I end up my ass handed to me. Maybe it's cause I play with the Chargers...

And use MOTION. Is the defense playing man-to-man? Send your WR in motion to the opposite side, and run a sweep to vacated area. That usually works in NCAA.
Eman's Random Thoughts
Eman's 2005 Movie List
Eman's DVD Collection
Charter Member of the HTF San Diego Chargers Fan Club. Hop on the Boltwagon!

Forum Nav Content I Follow