What's new

The Kitten Problem (1 Viewer)

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Ok,
I, personally, was raised as a dog-kinda-guy. I've been allergic to cats forever, and honestly never really gave them a second thought.

That in mind, my mom (very anti-cat, like me) calls me the other says and tells me this story about how my brother heard a cat crying the other day, before school, opened one of the tiny woodsheds we have, and found a baby kitten crying in an old trashcan (filled 3/4 with wood) we had in there.

Of course, my brother picked her up and brought her inside immediately. My mom quickly dug out an old dog carrier we had, put the kitten in it, and drove to the closest pet store, where the woman told her what she needed to buy.

I went and visited her on Thursday (no class and nothing to do) and I swear she is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

My Mom was immediately looking for a good place to give her away to, but over the past few days I really think she's grown as attached to her as I have.

I was at home all night tonight, and I couldnt put her down. We have two dogs, and I was around when we got both of them, but I have never been this attached to anything. Shes completely Grey (light colored), can't be more than 5 weeks old, has that cutest face ever, and light grey eyes that completely match her fur.

Amazingly, I've been around her for hours and hours and havent so much as sneezed. (Strangely, this summer, for the first time ever, my allergies weren't a problem).

So, my mom found a girl at work that wants to take her. She has another cat thats 1 yr old, and the girl lives at home with her mother and goes to community college.

I don't get attached to stuff very often, and its breaking my heart to see this kitten go (on Tuesday), and I can easily tell my parents and brother feel the same way.

Can anyone offer some guidance or anything? This little kitten has really stolen my heart, and I don't know what to do about it.

JQ

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
If you have the financial resources and the time to spend with the little furball, I'd definitely keep it. :)

Cats are quite a bit of comfort in a way Dogs aren't... Cats develop a relationship more on your level, where I have found Dogs to be more worshipful. Soon I will be adopting my second cat (if you are away a lot during the day, don't have less than 2 cats... they get really bored without you). If you haven't already done so, you should take it to the Vet for a checkup and see about her shots. Declawing is a choice that will have to be made. And if you keep the cat I implore you to make in an indoor cat only... studies show that indoor cats live, on average, 4 years longer. Most domestic breeds can live up to 20 years (or older), so it's quite a committment (although not on the Avian level :D ).

I'm taking in a 14 year old Tortie BSH Mixed (Callie) alongside the cat I already have, a 4 year old Ginger Aby/DSH Mixed (Goldie). My aunt is giving up Callie because with the other cats in the house, she doesn't get the attention she deserves plus Goldie was raised in the same household with her, so they get along well. Callie is a third generation Williams cat, and would you believe her mother is still living?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
if you keep the cat I implore you to make in an indoor cat only... studies show that indoor cats live, on average, 4 years longer. Most domestic breeds can live up to 20 years
Again, I totally agree. Our cats are all indoor cats. (Well, they DO get to go outside once in a while. But on a leash, and remaining in our yard under supervision.) Cats do not need to go outdoors. Period. Our cats have lived up to 20 years! We had one ol' fella (Barnum) who we lost a couple of years back. He was 20. We lost another cat last year (Casey)...she was 17. So there IS a commitment here. Be ready for it.

But that all being said, the relationship between a cat and a human is very different than the relationship between a dog and a human. And it's a very special and rewarding one. :D

PS - Our current population:
Sisko - 14 year old male grey tabby
Tazzie - 16 year old female brown/blonde tabby
Rio - 6 year old female long-hair tabby (looks like a small Maine Coone)

Good luck Jason! If you guys keep kitty, you'll have a really fun time. I'd suggest you pick up a book on raising a kitten, so you'll know what to expect. And be prepared to have her spayed when she's old enough. You don't want her going into heat on a regular basis! ;)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
JQ, you will only grow more attached. If you have the resources, I would care for it. If not, quickly find someone that can. Kittens tend to be more desirable in earlier stages. This little one deserves a home.

But that all being said, the relationship between a cat and a human is very different than the relationship between a dog and a human. And it's a very special and rewarding one.
I was going to say the same thing. I would add that with any rescued animal, there is even more of a special bond.

Kitty threads make me happy. Kitties and their human friends deserve their own forum.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
This little kitten has really stolen my heart, and I don't know what to do about it.
That kitten has played you like a dime-store fiddle! Don't fall for its charms! It's a bloodthirsty killer!

The whole "stuck-in-the-shed" thing was just a scam for food!

:) Just kidding. Not many can resist the power of kittens. :)

Tim K

Second Unit
Well, it is possible that you have "outgrown" your allergies. If you were allergic as a kid there is a good chance that you are no longer. I was allergic to cats as a kid, but now I have one (by marriage) that is no problem to me. We have a dog too...I don't want anyone thinking I am a cat person :)

I'd recommend finding someone that has a cat and spend some time playing with it. If not, go to the local shelter and play with one of theirs. If you are really serious you might want to go to an allergist and get tested to see if you are still allergic. You don't want to take this kitten, and then find out later that you are allergic. I'm no expert, but I suppose it is possible that because its a kitten maybe something about its fur or skin is not making you react?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
the relationship between a cat and a human is very different than the relationship between a dog and a human
I always have issues when I hear statements like these. The relationship you have with a pet is determined by the love you give it. Cats and dogs both have feelings (as well as other animals) and if you treat them with love and respect, they'll give you love and respect right back at you.

To think that one species is "better" or more loving than the other is a bad thing to do. Please don't judge a cats or dogs nastiness on the animal or species, it's usually the owners attitude that is inherent in the animal (i.e. if you think cats are more loving than dogs, than a dog won't treat you as well as a cat would because you're not giving the dog your fullest attention- and vice-versa).

So the next time you think that a dog can't be as cuddly as a cat, think again, it's probably because of your attitude that makes them seem un-cuddly. Just as Jason has proven with the cat. His relationships with cats in the past may have tainted by his attitude that they aren't friendly. Given the chance to love one, he is quickly finding out that it is possible to love a cat.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
As cute as it is, if you're allergic to Dander, the thing will make your life miserable, and it takes a long time for dander to filter out of a house once a cat has left it. Let go of the kitten.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
it is different.
But as a guy who onwed various animals, I can't say that the relationships I had with each were diffrerent. Just because I can't cuddle with my birds doesn't mean the relationship is different than my dogs. I love them both the same.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
And I hope you don't make it. Sorry David, I'm one of those "never-declaw" people. It has been studied to death. Claws aren't just weapons and/or shredding tools. Removing a cat's claws is something akin to removing the first joint on your fingers.
While I never stated my position on declawing, I certainly understand both sides of the issue. It *is* a choice that has to be made, and some people feel strongly enough on both sides that the decision becomes a foregone conclusion. Both of my cats are declawed (Goldie just her front paws, Callie all 4), which happened before I got them. Would I have had them declawed if it were my choice? I'd have to really think about it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since Dogs are pack animals and Cats are not, there *are* differences in the way they relate to humans.
Well, if you take a grown dog away from a pack, yes, I'd agree, but raising a pup and loving it wouldn't make it any less social than a kitten.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Well, if you take a grown dog away from a pack, yes, I'd agree, but raising a pup and loving it wouldn't make it any less social than a kitten.
I was actually saying that Dogs are *more* social than Cats because they are pack animals. Dogs will 'adopt' you into their family pack. Cats will create 'family' bonds when introduced into a situation, but by their nature usually prefer to be by themselves.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Be weary of the kitten. When he is on the floor looking around, you just watch, he is plotting....always plotting...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Kittens sure are cute as hell, but I don't think anything is more lazy than a cat. As long as you have a window and something soft to sit on then you have one happy cat. Much easier pets than dogs.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, my dog is fascinated by a few very distinct things

1) a large yellow tang in my saltwater fishtank
2) television
3) the pantry where she helps herself to dog biscuits

she can watch any of the above for hours on end. Makes keeping her entertained pretty easy.

as for the relationship issues, I care for my fish/shrimp/clams/coral/snails/anemones just as much as I do my dog, and spend countless more hours every week caring for and feeding the whole crew than I do the dog, she just hangs out and watches :)
So I don't think the interaction or feedback from the animal makes much difference, though my tang can definitely tell who I am and comes up to the glass when I walk up as if to say "hey the big dude with the food is back! The salad bar must be OPEN!"

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
If worse comes to worst, and your allergy symptoms return, there are always antihistamines.

It really ticks me off when people send their pet to the "shelter" because someone in the family suddenly becomes allergic. Take a damn pill fer cryin' out loud!

Of course, some people really ARE extremely allergic--I'm not referring to those folks. Rather, I'm talking about those who simply use that excuse when they don't want to be bothered with their pet any more and sentence their pet to near-certain death.

For those interested in dog vs. cat discussions, I highly recommend an essay called "The Sociobiology of Humor in Cats and Dogs" by James Gorman, part of his collection "The Man With No Endorphins" (Random House 1989). Humor based on science. All quite amusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks