What's new

Ridley Scott SEs? (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think Ridley Scott is one of the best modern directors. I can't get enough of his films. Sadly, a large portion of his films is out in barebones DVDs or not out at all. Seeing as how he seems to be a fan of elaborate mult-disc sets with commentaries and deleted scenes, what are the chances that some of the other films get such treatment? I know there's plans of a massive SE of Blade Runner, but who knows when that will happen. Maybe Charlie de Lauzurika (did I spell that right?) can chime in, if he can, if there might be SEs of GI Jane, White Squall, 1492, Black Rain, and Someone to Watch Over Me. Conquest of Paradise is the most obvious choice for a lavish 2-disc set, but I'm hopeful the other will be upgraded as well. I believe there's a laserdisc commentary for some of them even. Oh and I can't wait for the Matchstick Men DVD. Hopefuly a 2-disc set also! :)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
It's probably safe to say that all of Scott's new films from this point onward will get the 2-disc SE treatment, including Matchstick Men. Scott seems to be enthusiastic for them.

Regarding his previous work, most of the stuff that his fans would consider truly seminal (with the enormous exception of Blade Runner) already is available in some sort of SE -- Alien, Legend, Thelma and Louise, The Duellists, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down. This isn't to say that the films you've mentioned aren't worth an SE, but I doubt we'll see much clamoring for these titles from the fans.

However, this is where Charlie De L. could chime in and tell me I'm wrong and a White Squall SE is in the works right now...

--Jefferson Morris

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you're right about existing SEs. I have them all except Alien, but that will change soon. :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Well, Charlie de Lauzirika has recently chimed in (here), and regearding the S.E. of Blade Runner he said:
I'm sorry to say it never got even close to finished. Some significant work was initiated, some fantastic material discovered, but on the whole, very little was actually finished before legal issues forced a halt to production. That's really all I can say at this point. Wish I had better news.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Black Rain is one of the best movies of the 1980's and one of Ridleys best. A fantastic central performance by Michael Douglas , lush neon visuals and one of Han Zimmers best ever scores. The fans aren't clamouring for this on S.E. DVD? Bollocks. :D

Haden

Supporting Actor
A Black Rain:SE has been rumored for over a year now. It was originally supposed to come out in the 4th quarter of 2003, but obviously it's been delayed.

Runar_R

Second Unit
There is a version of GI Jane out in Scandinavia which has a few more features on it than the current R1. For one it has a DTS-track. And the following features:
- Biografies
- Featurette (4:35)
- Trailers - "foreign" og "domestic"
- B-roll Footage (11:35)
- Interview with Demi Moore (12:47)
- Interview with Viggo Mortensen (13:45)
- Interview with Ridley Scott (10:50)
- Music Video: "Goodbye" by The Pretenders
- TV-spots

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
Such a shame about Blade Runner.

Still, we've got some great Scott SEs to be happy with, so I won't complain.

BTW, Charlie, you do awesome work.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply, Charlie. Sorry for the typo in your last name. Hopefully the Matchstick Men DVD is a 2-disc set. But this is WB. Is it possible for you to disclose any info about it at all? And hopefully the situation with Blade Runner changes. This has a chance to be another in-depth set like the Black Hawk Down 3-disc set. And as Jason pointed out earlier, 1492 really needs to come out too. A great film. And if we can get the other catalog titles re-released with a commentary and minimal extras - well, I could die happy shortly afterwards :D (Am I the only one that LOVES Ridley's commentaries? It's like listening to a friend tell stories; very engrossing...)

ErichH

Screenwriter
As owner of ALL Ridley movies available, I'd like to see some of the less popular films like GI Jane get a better release. GIJ is one of the worse sounding and looking DVDs I've ever seen.
I wouldn't watch it as much as the others, but my current copy never gets played.

ScottFree is in the same boat as everybody else. Work on new films and Do SE work on the most popular titles.

Ever wonder what happened to Fincher's The Game SE ? Phooof...

At least we have the incredible Kubrick set. Amazing work on the older films from the greatest director of our time.

Ridley & H Zimmer - Always a Great Combo!
E

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I've been holding off for years (like many others) but I guess it is finally "safe" to buy the current DVD version of Blade Runner. It sounds like the SE project for this title is dead in the water and probably never going to happen:frowning:

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget "Hannibal". One of the finest DVD sets ever produced. Extras aside, this disc has always seemed under-appreciated as far as audio/video. Spectacular set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
What exactly is the legal problem holding up Bladerunner?
Yeah that'd be interesting information, but Charlie said he can't speak about it. I don't really know what it could be. An issue with different versions of the film maybe? Or maybe they want a Vangelis isolated score (would be a dream come true and put an end to those endless bootlegs).

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought the "new" cut of BLADE RUNNER was at least completed ON FILM, if not for the DVD set. I have a friend who worked at a film restoration house in California that did the work on the BLADE RUNNER recut, and he told me- in December 2002- that they had finished work on recutting the BLADE RUNNER camera negative over a year prior, which would mean the film work was done sometime in 2001. Another friend was doing the sound work for his film at Skywalker Sound in Marin County, CA, in the spring/summer of 2002, and while he was there, they were doing sound work on the "new cut" of BLADE RUNNER. He specifically told me about how one of the sound editors there was spending hours and hours trying to isolate and clean up a line of dialogue that had a bunch of other sound over it (rain, etc.), so I'm guessing this was sound taken from the "workprint" version that was meant to be re-instated into the "new cut".

So, does the "new cut" at least exist on film?

BTW, in a previous thread Charles hinted that the reason for the recent BLADE RUNNER "legal troubles" could be acertained from reading FUTURE NOIR. I'll have to dust off my copy and give it a close read again soon.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks