Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney´s Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix = DTS? In R4, it is...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 01:57 AM

I have the brazilian, NTSC R4 edition of LION KING, and it´s exactly like the american one (including the option of portuguese subtitles and dubbing, of course).

But the strange thing is, when I select the "Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix" sound option, it not only appears listed as "DTS" on the menu; it also leads you to a DTS logo ("the DTS track can only by played on blah blah blah..."), and the DTS led lights out on my HT set!

Am I missing something? I´ve heard that you have to PAY DTS to put their logo on the cover, so that means Disney renamed DTS just to... do something I´m not sure of?

Weird...

Edit: I would gladly put screengrabs to prove it, but I don´t have a suitable place to host ´em.

http://www.dvdshow.c....nhas_&res=1484

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 02:13 AM

Apparently the Lion King is getting DTS for the Enhanced mix for many other regions outside R1. Interesting that it wasn't mentioned on the packaging. I'd love for some folks to post their impressions of the DTS version...especially if they can compare to the 5.1 DD enhanced mix on the R1.

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 02:24 AM

I think it´s exactly the same "enhanced mix", only, uh, encoded as DTS or something like that.

Posted Image

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 03:29 AM

Yes, you're right.

Because of the all-out uncompromised nature of the 5.1 DD enhanced mix (no dialog norm to my knowledge, and no downmix considerations), this should make for the best consumer-level DD/DTS comparison yet. Any differences we hear are only a result of the codec and bit-rate it uses...*not* mix or mastering differences.

If you get a chance to compare...let us know what you think!

I plan to eventaully get a Malata multi-region DVD player and you can bet that a DTS Lion King will be one of the first titles I buy to spin on it!

dave Posted Image

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 03:35 AM

Quote:
Any differences we hear are only a result of the codec and bit-rate it uses...*not* mix or mastering differences.

But in some cases (like Argento´s Opera), the DTS track has a completely different *mix*, am I right?

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 03:45 AM

Yes,

sometimes the 5.1 DD and DTS tracks use different mixes...or more often they use the same mixes but perhaps with some modifications to one track or the other(like dialog normalization or EQ adjustments to the DD track) or level differences etc.

The Lion King DVD should offer consumers as close to a true apples/apples A/B comparison of the DD/DTS as we can get.

Looking forward to some other-region reviews!

dave Posted Image

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 07:44 AM

Why the hell didn't Disney use DTS for the enhanced track in Region 1 anyway?? Their Platinum titles are really, really ill conceived IMHO.

Dan

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Why the hell didn't Disney use DTS for the enhanced track in Region 1 anyway??

And I don´t think it was for lack of disk space.

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
I have the brazilian, NTSC R4 edition of LION KING, and it´s exactly like the american one (including the option of portuguese subtitles and dubbing, of course).

Sergio, I thought that Brazil was a SECAM country. Are there a lot of NTSC DVDs?
¡Time is not my master!

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
[/b]Sergio, I thought that Brazil was a SECAM country. Are there a lot of NTSC DVDs? [/b]

Actually, SECAM is the french video system.

Here´s the deal: Brazilian´s TV reception system is PAL-N, a version of the german PAL modified to be compatible with NTSC. As we prepare for HDTV, soon all our sets will be pure NTSC.

(Meanwhile, all TV sets available here work on PAL-N and NTSC - and, if you hook your DVD thru the Component Video input, you can watch european PAL DVDs with just a small shimmering in the brigher scenes (due to the differences in frame - IIRC, PAL is 24 fps and NTSC, 30 fps). But you get used to it, and, at least in my case, there´s no image distortion when you put on a PAL widescreen DVD (my set is an old 4x3).)

But ALL out home cinema gear, since the first days of VHS, is NTSC. All the tapes, laserdiscs and DVDs we have are NTSC.

One good thing is that, with DVD, there´s only TWO color systems: PAL and NTSC (even french DVDs are PAL, not SECAM as their VHS tapes). So, if you have a codefree, dual-system set up, you can happily sit down and watch DVDs from the entire world (like I do).

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Cristiano Leal

Cristiano Leal

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 04 2003 - 11:55 AM

BTW: It's PAL-M and not NTSC.

Posted Image

Cristiano

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 04 2003 - 01:16 PM

The UK also has DTS (only for the disney enhanced track though)on it's release. no idea how it compares to the DD5.1 as the disc won't be out for another 2 weeks. in the meantime check this review:
Lion King UKR2 review

and if you really wanna be angry at us:
check the soundtrack options for T3
then again you probably know that already, but I haven't checked the forum for quite some time, sorry

HTH

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 04 2003 - 10:53 PM

Quote:
BTW: It's PAL-M and not NTSC.

The popular name is PAL-M, but the correct technical name is PAL-N. Trust me.
Foi por isso que as primeiras gambiarras pra VHS eram chamadas de "N-Linha".

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 04 2003 - 10:54 PM

The brazilian edition of HULK will also come with DTS sound....:b

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 12:55 AM

I went to a special presentation of The Lion king dvd two weeks ago in my country and got to listen to the new Enhanced Surround Souns option (DTS in this case) and I can say it sound absolutely fabulous.

I also asked some members from the Disney staff if more titles will be released with DTS sound in Europe and they confirmed with me that at least Finding Nemo and next years Aladdin will have DTS Sound.
Looks like to other winners from Disney in region 02 Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Runar_R

Runar_R

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 01:17 AM

Quote:
I also asked some members from the Disney staff if more titles will be released with DTS sound in Europe and they confirmed with me that at least Finding Nemo and next years Aladdin will have DTS Sound.

Hmmmm..... so now I'll have to decide if I can hold out on getting Nemo untill sometime next year in R2 with DTS, or get the R1 version without DTS next month? (Who am I kidding? Patience is not one of my strong points.....Posted Image ).
I must admit that this development of R2 getting more and more titles in DTS while R1 seems to be getting fewer puzzles me a bit. I can't see any particular reason for it. It's not that long ago R2-customers were annoyed about DTS getting cut when released in R2 (like Sleepy Hollow). Does anyone have an idea what has brought on the current situation?
"These are the moments I live for.
I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this.
The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised."
-Planetary, Warren Ellis

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm..... so now I'll have to decide if I can hold out on getting Nemo untill sometime next year in R2 with DTS, or get the R1 version without DTS next month? (Who am I kidding? Patience is not one of my strong points..... ).

same herePosted Image
I won't wait. but if the DTS and picture turn out to be better than the R1 I'll buy the R2 as well.(and try to get rid of the R1)

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 04:06 AM

I realy don't understand either but it seems to be a continuing thing here in Europe that more and more titles are being issued with DTS sound while in America it becomes less and less.

Look at Japan for instance, they get The Core , Blade , Solaris , Tomb Raider and so much more titles with DTS while the region 01 counterparts don't.
I guess it has to do with a discission the studio's make, the one can live with a bit less video quality and the other cannot.

For me personally I like this development and yes I can't wait either and will buy Finding Nemo next month and next year just so I won't miss out from both worlds Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 05:01 AM

Grrr. I want all these R1 titles in DTS too!

Hopfully there will be some non-PAL other-region DVDs with DTS...I'd like to get them but I don't want the PAL audio speed-up issue if I can avoid it.

-dave Posted Image

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Joseph_mx

Joseph_mx

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted October 05 2003 - 05:15 AM

David, TLK region 4 in Mexico has DTS and is NTSC
Joseph

"C'mon, he's insane. Look. Right now he's probably dancing around in his
grandma's panties, yeah, rubbing himself in peanut butter." - Brad Pitt -Seven

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow