What's new

Disney´s Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix = DTS? In R4, it is... (1 Viewer)

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
I have the brazilian, NTSC R4 edition of LION KING, and it´s exactly like the american one (including the option of portuguese subtitles and dubbing, of course).

But the strange thing is, when I select the "Enhanced for Home Theater 5.1 DD mix" sound option, it not only appears listed as "DTS" on the menu; it also leads you to a DTS logo ("the DTS track can only by played on blah blah blah..."), and the DTS led lights out on my HT set!

Am I missing something? I´ve heard that you have to PAY DTS to put their logo on the cover, so that means Disney renamed DTS just to... do something I´m not sure of?

Weird...

Edit: I would gladly put screengrabs to prove it, but I don´t have a suitable place to host ´em.

http://www.dvdshow.com.br/padrao.php...nhas_&res=1484

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the Lion King is getting DTS for the Enhanced mix for many other regions outside R1. Interesting that it wasn't mentioned on the packaging. I'd love for some folks to post their impressions of the DTS version...especially if they can compare to the 5.1 DD enhanced mix on the R1.

-dave :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you're right.

Because of the all-out uncompromised nature of the 5.1 DD enhanced mix (no dialog norm to my knowledge, and no downmix considerations), this should make for the best consumer-level DD/DTS comparison yet. Any differences we hear are only a result of the codec and bit-rate it uses...*not* mix or mastering differences.

If you get a chance to compare...let us know what you think!

I plan to eventaully get a Malata multi-region DVD player and you can bet that a DTS Lion King will be one of the first titles I buy to spin on it!

dave :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes,

sometimes the 5.1 DD and DTS tracks use different mixes...or more often they use the same mixes but perhaps with some modifications to one track or the other(like dialog normalization or EQ adjustments to the DD track) or level differences etc.

The Lion King DVD should offer consumers as close to a true apples/apples A/B comparison of the DD/DTS as we can get.

Looking forward to some other-region reviews!

dave :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Why the hell didn't Disney use DTS for the enhanced track in Region 1 anyway?? Their Platinum titles are really, really ill conceived IMHO.

Dan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have the brazilian, NTSC R4 edition of LION KING, and it´s exactly like the american one (including the option of portuguese subtitles and dubbing, of course).
Sergio, I thought that Brazil was a SECAM country. Are there a lot of NTSC DVDs?

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
[/b]Sergio, I thought that Brazil was a SECAM country. Are there a lot of NTSC DVDs? [/b]
Actually, SECAM is the french video system.

Here´s the deal: Brazilian´s TV reception system is PAL-N, a version of the german PAL modified to be compatible with NTSC. As we prepare for HDTV, soon all our sets will be pure NTSC.

(Meanwhile, all TV sets available here work on PAL-N and NTSC - and, if you hook your DVD thru the Component Video input, you can watch european PAL DVDs with just a small shimmering in the brigher scenes (due to the differences in frame - IIRC, PAL is 24 fps and NTSC, 30 fps). But you get used to it, and, at least in my case, there´s no image distortion when you put on a PAL widescreen DVD (my set is an old 4x3).)

But ALL out home cinema gear, since the first days of VHS, is NTSC. All the tapes, laserdiscs and DVDs we have are NTSC.

One good thing is that, with DVD, there´s only TWO color systems: PAL and NTSC (even french DVDs are PAL, not SECAM as their VHS tapes). So, if you have a codefree, dual-system set up, you can happily sit down and watch DVDs from the entire world (like I do).

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
The UK also has DTS (only for the disney enhanced track though)on it's release. no idea how it compares to the DD5.1 as the disc won't be out for another 2 weeks. in the meantime check this review:
Lion King UKR2 review

and if you really wanna be angry at us:
check the soundtrack options for T3
then again you probably know that already, but I haven't checked the forum for quite some time, sorry

HTH

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I went to a special presentation of The Lion king dvd two weeks ago in my country and got to listen to the new Enhanced Surround Souns option (DTS in this case) and I can say it sound absolutely fabulous.

I also asked some members from the Disney staff if more titles will be released with DTS sound in Europe and they confirmed with me that at least Finding Nemo and next years Aladdin will have DTS Sound.
Looks like to other winners from Disney in region 02 :D

Runar_R

Second Unit
I also asked some members from the Disney staff if more titles will be released with DTS sound in Europe and they confirmed with me that at least Finding Nemo and next years Aladdin will have DTS Sound.
Hmmmm..... so now I'll have to decide if I can hold out on getting Nemo untill sometime next year in R2 with DTS, or get the R1 version without DTS next month? (Who am I kidding? Patience is not one of my strong points.....:D ).
I must admit that this development of R2 getting more and more titles in DTS while R1 seems to be getting fewer puzzles me a bit. I can't see any particular reason for it. It's not that long ago R2-customers were annoyed about DTS getting cut when released in R2 (like Sleepy Hollow). Does anyone have an idea what has brought on the current situation?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Hmmmm..... so now I'll have to decide if I can hold out on getting Nemo untill sometime next year in R2 with DTS, or get the R1 version without DTS next month? (Who am I kidding? Patience is not one of my strong points..... ).
same here;)
I won't wait. but if the DTS and picture turn out to be better than the R1 I'll buy the R2 as well.(and try to get rid of the R1)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I realy don't understand either but it seems to be a continuing thing here in Europe that more and more titles are being issued with DTS sound while in America it becomes less and less.

Look at Japan for instance, they get The Core , Blade , Solaris , Tomb Raider and so much more titles with DTS while the region 01 counterparts don't.
I guess it has to do with a discission the studio's make, the one can live with a bit less video quality and the other cannot.

For me personally I like this development and yes I can't wait either and will buy Finding Nemo next month and next year just so I won't miss out from both worlds ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Grrr. I want all these R1 titles in DTS too!

Hopfully there will be some non-PAL other-region DVDs with DTS...I'd like to get them but I don't want the PAL audio speed-up issue if I can avoid it.

-dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks