What's new

Dawson's Creek Season 2 announced (and music replaced!) (2 Viewers)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,

just saw this over at DVD Times:

Columbia Tristar have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Dawson's Creek - The Complete Second Season for 16th December 2003 with a retail price of $49.95. This four disc set contains the episodes from season two presented in 1.33:1 Full Screen with English Dolby Surround audio and the following extra features:

Spanish and Portugese subtitles
Audio Commentaries
Interactive Tour of Capeside
Dawson's Creek Summer Diaries

Brand new music selected by the executive producer
Now, first of all: 22 episodes on 4 discs? 4 DISCS?? Are they mad? Unless they're going the DVD-18 route as Warner did with ER Season 1 this is going to be a mess. And considering how they handled Dawson's Creek Season 1, overcompressing the hell out of the show (at least the Brakfast Club episode) just to fit it on 3 discs, I'm not getting my hopes up as far as DVD-18 is concerned. Hope I'm wrong, though.

And secondly, the line "Brand new music selected by the executive producer" can obviously only mean one thing, namely that they didn't get (or didn't wanna pay for) the music rights and there'll be replacements. While I'm glad that the new music is being selected by the producers, therefore having at least an "official ring" to it, I still find it rather "interesting" (for lack of a better word) that they not only openly admit it, but they actually spin it to make it sound like a cool new feature instead of the annoyance that it really is.

The above link also has the cover art by the way.

Chris

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
That's a very bad idea. We're looking at

Disc 1 - 6 episodes 2.01 - 2.06
Disc 2 - 6 episodes 2.07 - 2.12
Disc 3 - 5 episodes 2.13 - 2.17
Disc 4 - 7 episodes 2.18 - 2.22

Very bad move...

Hopefully they'll do DVD-18 and spread the episodes out more evenly, that's just too much per disc...

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
i'm sure a soundtrack full of village People songs will be very entertaining. :D

Is it really that expensive to licence music? I heard 10 g's a song on average? Aren't the companies starting to take the piss now? This show is pretty popular. It would sell. Whats the problem?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Obviously I'm not happy with music changes, but right now I just hope that the "brand new" only refers to the fact that music has been replaced (which is bad enough) and not to the songs themselves, because I'm gonna be majorly pissed off if I'm watching a 1998/99 show with 2002/3 music!

Chris

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I hope they at least licensed the music heavily associated with the show. (ie everything that made it onto the soundrack album)

Kami

Screenwriter
6 episodes on a disc? That works out to an average video bitrate of about 3.5Mbit/sec. Not too good by todays standards. I'm thinking it is DVD-18.

Rob Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking forward to this announcement but now I'm really annoyed. I'd rather pay a bit more and have better picture quality and the original music.

I had hoped that season one would sell well enough to justify more discs for future sets but it hasn't happened.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dawson's Creek season 2 was 22 episodes. If they're using DVD-18s, wouldn't everything fit onto 3 discs?

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I bought season 1 because from what i can tell , all the music that was played then is intact.If there going to be replacing music for season 2 no sale.Ill wait for reviews, if they only replaced a few songs ill still get it, but if they replaced a great deal of them forget it.

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Not sure what "brand new music..." means, but I'm glad this show is at least being released. My friend lent me Season 1, and I had never watched the show, but I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was so funny, I thought it was just all drama.

At least the producers are involved (supposedly), instead of just the suits picking the cheapest music available. Probably have even more Canadian female artists, if that's possible. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If there are no original songs, forget it. It's on twice a day on TBS... Tivo or record the eps. to a blank DVD or S-VHS... At least you'll have it the real ORIGINAL way...

D

rhett

Supporting Actor
I think it is rather cheap of Columbia to change the music on us. While above all I am just happy that the series is being released on DVD, I can't help but feel a large part of it has been changed. For me, these teenage films are all rooted in nostalgia. You watch to be taken back to a time of youth innocence, and that sense of the past is removed when new music is added instead.

I can't really say I am surprised though...the first season has several changed music queues. The pilot had music from Alanis Morissette, and some other smaller bands that was changed for DVD. The changes however, were with similar music from the time (some better, some worse). As long as they include music from the 1998 scene on second season, I guess I won't complain too much. I've never seen the second season, so at least my mind isn't spoiled with any preconcieved expectations.

Anyway, I just picked up the second season, and plan to watch it sometime over the holidays. All the discs have a nice little animated menu with some nostalgic instrumentals, which is a nice change over the previous release. Anyone else pick this up?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I need to write up my review of the set today or tomorrow.

I'm really, really bad with knowing songs and bands that sing them, so unfortunately I'm not much help when it comes to noticing any music changes. I was more bothered by the compression on the set, and the fact that they squeezed 6 episodes onto 2 discs. There's a reason every other company has 22 episode seasons on 6 discs; anything less than that and you're looking for trouble. Honestly, I thought the show looked better when I watched it on digital cable.

Gord

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
This is the last season of Dawson's Creek that I will ever get on DVD. Although that I feel season one is a full rounded finished story, I will get season 2 because it is still Kevin Williamson’s show and has his stamp all over it. (it's his last season)

I also hated Season 2’s finale. Instead of an arc(season one), season 2 feels like a sinusoidal graph! Victim of the first season’s success. They should have kept it as a mini series.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Ha! ;)

Actually, I think she was better with him compared to Dawson...but neither was right.

I just like that by the end of the season there's some closure, season 2 ends on a kind of cliffhanger that I wouldn't want my DVD sets to end with. (season 3 was also from when I was in 8th grade, so there's some nostalgia value there...)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I think this is one of the very worst picture quality DVDs ever to have been released. I'm watching this on a 65" Widescreen HDTV (not zoomed in) and it looks absolutely horrifying. It's WAY too compressed, and I agree with the poster above that said it looked better when it was being broadcast on TV.

At first, I thought it was just the 1st DVD (maybe I had gotten a defective disc) but when I finished all 4 of the DVDs I realized it was all of them. They weren't defective, just badly compressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks