Posted October 02 2003 - 05:08 PM

Tarantino lays out his multi-release plans

#2 of 101 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 05:13 PM

"I can't imagine a better movie when it comes to great DVD stuff. I'm gonna really play fair as far as the DVD's concerned, you know? We'll come up with separate DVDs for Volume 1 and Volume 2 and I'll do special stuff for each of those. Then we'll come up with a real big version with them both together but I won't repeat the special stuff I put on Volume 1 and Volume 2. I'll do something whole other from that. I might even do some other little movie thing just to go on that special double feature version...I'm all about being a collector man. You know? Come out with all the different junk you can.""

Looks like we have to double-dip or worse to get all the goodies.

#3 of 101 MatS

MatS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 05:24 PM

at first it sounded like he was mocking PJ but then I realized he was being sincere

hell why not, if PJ can do it so can he, at least he is telling everyone upfront

step 1: let's see how the movie (Part 1) is come next week

#4 of 101 john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 06:58 PM

Gordon Liu (Master Killer ) and Sonny Chiba (THE STREET FIGHTER) in the same film ???? You Better Believe im in there !!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 of 101 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 07:00 PM

Having just seen Kill Bill, I sincerely hope Part II is an improvement or there won't be much of an audience for this DVD beyond hard core fans of QT.

#6 of 101 Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 01:55 PM

With all the talks about the Japanese alternate cuts and such, I really don't care as long as they are included in one form or another on Region 1 DVD. Slighty OT about QT, Kill Bill's budget is more than twice his first 3 films combined (As 1 movie not 2)
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#7 of 101 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 02:16 PM

I would love to see the full color blood-fest that appears to be the Japanese release. Well, maybe I sould moderate my hyperbole until after I see the U.S. version.

#8 of 101 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 02:55 PM

If this release plan holds true, I'll definitely hold out for the final edition. After seeing Volume 1, I'm fully convinced that Kill Bill will work better as one piece.

And at least Q.T. let us know of his plans ahead of time. I do appreciate that.

#9 of 101 Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 03:19 PM

I plan to see them, and I'm really quite excited about Volume I ... but something about QT's latest offering leaves me ill at ease ... um ... hmmm ... nope, I can't quite put my finger on it ....
“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#10 of 101 richardWI

richardWI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 04:22 PM

QT is rarely low on enthusiasm, I'll give him that, but in the case of KB he's counting chickens before they hatch.

Spliting the movie in half just seems like a cynical, cash in move rather than a carefully planned, artisic choice. After a certain other movie came out this year I'm pretty burned out on paying full price for half a movie. These DVD ideas seem to push it even further in that direction.

...Unless KB somehow turns out to be Citizen Kane quality, but the decapitations might prevent it from being that.

#11 of 101 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
After a certain other movie came out this year I'm pretty burned out on paying full price for half a movie. These DVD ideas seem to push it even further in that direction.
At least with that certain other movie it was always intended to be two films - not one film divided in half because some executive thought a three hour film was too long to be profitable.

Quote:
Unless KB somehow turns out to be Citizen Kane quality, but the decapitations might prevent it from being that.
LOL.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#12 of 101 Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 06:29 PM

Eh, Lord of the Rings was one movie chopped into 3 pieces, so you never got more then a third of a movie there. Of course it was a really LONG third, but Fellowship or Two Towers told as much of the story as Matrix Reloaded did. As for Kill Bill, holding out till I see it, but I do think saying people won't sit through a three hour movie just doesn't hold water, as the second highest grossing movies each of the last two years have been right at the three hour mark, and the current BO fav for this year may be as much as three and a half.

#13 of 101 EricW

EricW

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 06:45 PM

True Romance is one of my favourite movies ever, and Pulp Fiction is a classic, but i don't think i'll be watching Kill Bill until both DVDs are in my hands. i don't want to support a studio that splits a movie in 2 for (what i think is) profit. and to be honest, the Tarantino dialogue wears a bit thin sometimes, so i can afford to wait. the kung fu fighting does get me excited though.
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#14 of 101 richardWI

richardWI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 07:10 PM

Quote:
Lord of the Rings was one movie chopped into 3 pieces, so you never got more then a third of a movie there.

Yes, and it's a satisfying movie experience because the two movies so far had strong begining, middle, and endings. Structurally, they work within the conventions laid down for individual movies. They both adhere to the three act structure. Reloaded ends in mid-act and it's less satsifying. It's more artificial. If it instinctively feels artificial, then it will feel like you paid full price for a 2-and-half act movie. (Can't go to the moon on fractions!)

...The word I've gotten on the KB split is it's the equivalent of stopping "Fellowship" at the Council of Elrond. Probably internet BS, but I guess we'll see.

#15 of 101 Bernhard

Bernhard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 07:33 PM

The comparison to LOTR is no valid in my opinion. The Lord of the Rings movies have been designed as three seperate movies from scratch.
Kill Bill was written and filmed as a single film and chopped in two afterwards.
My current DVD Collection

Mace Windu: "Do you know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese on Coruscant?"

#16 of 101 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted October 06 2003 - 08:17 PM

Quote:
As for Kill Bill, holding out till I see it, but I do think saying people won't sit through a three hour movie just doesn't hold water, as the second highest grossing movies each of the last two years have been right at the three hour mark, and the current BO fav for this year may be as much as three and a half.
And the number one films were 2 1/2 hours long - and were kids films.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#17 of 101 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 04:06 AM

I think I'll wait for the double feature version then pick up the individual discs used.

#18 of 101 Thomas H G

Thomas H G

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 05:02 AM

Man I don't like the reports I'm hering about KB.

And if QT is going to do this as planned, tahn either the big double disc release or the 2 single releases better be a different cut of the movie.
My Collection at DVD Aficiando

boogieman187 on XBL

#19 of 101 Haden

Haden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Spliting the movie in half just seems like a cynical, cash in move rather than a carefully planned, artisic choice.

Quentin did not split the film in two to "cash in" on more ticket sales. He WANTED to release just one 3 hour movie, but the studio wouldn't let him. They insisted that it be cut down to under 2 hours so they could have more showtimes in theaters. He wasn't willing to cut that much out of the film, so after much negotiating they agreed to release it in 2 parts so that he could show the full story as he originally intended. So I'd say what he did WAS for artistic reasons, not for money. It's the studio that was being greedy and selfish. They should have just let him release his 3 hour epic as he originally planned.

#20 of 101 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted October 07 2003 - 05:27 AM

Interesting point about the multiple dvd release, but I find his opinion about movies today very interesting. Click on what he says about Kill Bill 2.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow