-

Photo

so whats the deal with Looney Tunes on Warner Classics?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 12:31 PM

As a fan of classic cinema and Looney Tunes, I'm wondering - will putting the cartoons on as bonus material continue with future WB classics?

Are there Looney Tunes fans that are just buying these classic films for the cartoons?

Are these restored like the boxset release?

Can we expect the ones offered as bonus material show up in future boxsets?

I just got my boxset in from Amazon and Im eager to dive into it. Of the three, I've only seen Treasure of The Sierra Madre.
Michael Boyd

Currently enjoying movies in China via itunes on a 13 inch Macbook.

#2 of 17 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 02 2003 - 12:37 PM

Several of the cartoons are on the first volume of Looney Tunes and they'll likely repeat them for future volumes.

I'm buying the box set for the movies, but the added shorts really make it more inviting.

#3 of 17 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted October 02 2003 - 01:53 PM

This is what I just asked over at DVDTalk and now you have a similar one.

Just played the Merrie Melodie cartoon of "Katnip Kollege" on the new WB "Adventures of Robin Hood" and it looks like "CRAP!"

The colors are completely washed out. I had to go back to the beginning to see if it was a Cinecolor cartooon...yikes, it's in Technicolor!

I then put on my LD of the same cartoon from the "Golden Age of Looney Tunes Box Set Vol.1" and it had beautiful color.

What I'm getting at is, I hope WB is not going to give us this type of restoration, if they did any, on the cartoons in the upcoming DVD box set. A 19% clearer picture and washed out color is a "NO SALE" in my book.

I haven't watched the other cartoons on the disc("Rabbit Hood and Robin Hood Daffy"), so I can't judge them. I won't be able to until tomorrow.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#4 of 17 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:25 PM

John...

Katnip Kollege was the only one of the cartoons on the Warner Legends set that was NOT a restored print.

The rest of the cartoons (including the upcoming Horton Hatches An Egg on the Dr. Seuss DVD) and the 56 cartoons on the Gold Collection are ALL restored.

The one unrestored cartoon shouldn't discount the 60+ that are restored.

#5 of 17 Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:38 PM

Rabbit Hood had some whitish speckles/scratches to my eyes. Mainly at the beginning.

BTW where is Katnip Kollege on Robin Hood? An easter egg?
Michael Boyd

#6 of 17 Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:59 PM

Quote:
BTW where is Katnip Kollege on Robin Hood? An easter egg?

Michael... disc one of TAoRH on special features, go to Warner Night At The Movies.

Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#7 of 17 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 04:51 PM

The 2 Robin Hood cartoons on disc two didn't look restored at all to me. In fact, "Rabbit Hood" still has the "Blue Ribbon" credits.

Neil

#8 of 17 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 04:59 PM

Quote:
In fact, "Rabbit Hood" still has the "Blue Ribbon" credits.

Warner Bros. is going to keep the Blue Ribbon openings for the cartoons which retained their original credits.

These were cut into the original negatives of the cartoons, thus were not replaced. Theoretically, they could do it, but it's not that important since the credits are there.

#9 of 17 John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted October 02 2003 - 05:19 PM

Well, I just got home and did a comparison with "Robin Hood Daffy"(Duck Victory LD) and "Rabbit Hood"(Winner By a Hare LD) and they are the same print.

The same 3 sided window boxing at the beginning of each and the color is the same for both...a LD port if there ever was one!

So, let's hope that someone gives a comparison review of both the LD and the DVD box set so we can see if there really is a need to upgrade.

My LD cartoons are quite beautiful, not digital, but still nice!!! Posted Image
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player; Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box.

#10 of 17 Tim RH

Tim RH

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 06:42 PM

Quote:
Warner Bros. is going to keep the Blue Ribbon openings for the cartoons which retained their original credits.
Could someone please let an ignoramus know what the "Blue Ribbon openings" are exactly??

#11 of 17 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 12:05 AM

I cant wait ! In about 10 days or something like that , looney tunes dvd reviews should start popping up on the net !Maybe Home theatre forum .com will have the honors of being the first to review.Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#12 of 17 Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd

Second Unit

• 278 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 12:34 AM

Digital Bits is reporting Hyde And Hare will be on the Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde disc(s?)

I saw Katnip Kollege last night and for some reason it looked to me just as I expected it would. Maybe just because of the style and era I knew it was from I wsn't expecting as much. But after all the great screenshots we've seen on the net of the regular Looney Tunes I guess I expected Hare and Daffy to look better.
Michael Boyd

#13 of 17 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,068 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 03 2003 - 01:13 AM

"Rabbit Hood" is not restored or otherwise digitally cleaned up. It looks exactly like the transfer from the mid-90s laserdisc and even has color aliasing artifacts indicative of being sourced from a composite master. "Robin Hood Daffy" looks a lot better, but it is also about a decade younger. That being said, I am glad to have them on DVD.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 17 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 01:53 AM

If you want to see "restored" versions, check out "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid" and "Yankee Doodle Daffy" on the Yankee Doodle Daffy DVD. Both of these cartoons look better than I have ever seen them before. The third cartoon in that set, "Yankee Doodle Bugs," looks about the same as it does on TV. And "Rabbit Hood" looks like the old laserdisc print to me.

What I'm thinking is that most of these cartoons are not, in fact, "restored" versions, except for BBGtB and "Yankee Doodle Daffy" -- both of which are slated for inclusion in the Golden Collection. If those two cartoons are an indication of the standards of the Golden Collection restorations, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

#15 of 17 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,764 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 03 2003 - 02:03 AM

I can't comment on the quality, as I can't afford to buy the box set till next week. However, I'm glad they are having the original classic cartoons on these sets, as opposed to the new "Carrotblanca" monstrosity on the new Casablanca. I was terribly dissapointed, as it was one of the lamest cartoons I've seen. They should just stop making Looney toons cartoons if this is as good as they can do, rather than degenerate the good name of the Looney banner.

On another note, does anyone know if the restored Horton Hatched an Egg well have the censored suicide shot of a fish? I saw this at a film festival, the quality was awful, full of scratches, jumps and pops, but it would be neat as an extra, and as an example of how Warners pushed the edge compared to the other studios.

#16 of 17 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,467 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
On another note, does anyone know if the restored Horton Hatched an Egg well have the censored suicide shot of a fish?

That shot is generally censored on TV only. The Bob Clampett Show, on Cartoon Network, would show it uncut.

#17 of 17 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 03 2003 - 02:08 AM

Jaime is 100% on the money.

The Warner Legends releases make no reference to the cartoons included being "restored", and indeed only the two that are slated for the GOLDEN COLLECTION (Yankee Doodle Daffy and Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid) look breathtakingly improved from anything I have seen before. Those are representative of the restorations we are about to be treated to in the upcoming boxed set.

All of the other cartoons included (except KATNIP KOLLEGE) are perfectly acceptable (to my eye) but obviously not restored. In the context of the LEGENDS collection as extras, I'm more than content with these, as they add greatly to the feature experience. It's not like we're paying extra to have them, on what are already, superb presentations of great, restored features with oodles of appetizing extras.

I think it's great that Warner is offering cartoons as extras on their DVDs, (like the very cool Tex Avery FLEA CIRCUS on LES GIRLS, etc.). I hope they continue the practice.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow