What's new

Halo: PC Version - views and comments (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ran out before lunch and picked it up. The day is going to drag until I get home tonight. I'm looking forward to multiplayer. Anyone installed it yet?

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
No. Worried about performance on my system, so I'm waiting to hear from folks with similar systems. My graphics card should be enough for low-end work (GF4 Ti4200), but my CPU is below the minimum (PIII/667). Let us know how it goes :).

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Apperently this game chugs even some of the fastest computers. From what I have seen from the screenies, the Xbox version still looks better (for some strange reason).
Multyplay should be awesome though.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I've got an Athlon 2200+, 512mb, Geforce 4 Ti4200... and Halo stutters quite a bit in 800x600 (whereas UT2003 runs smooth as butter at 1024x768 with all options on). The multiplayer really isn't all that it's cracked up to be either. Basically, I'll be sticking to the XBox version when I need my fix.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
For those having performance issues right click on the games shortcut and add "-use11" (without the quotations). This forces the game to use pixel shader version 1.1. This gave me a large FPS boost in firefights. You can also use "-use14" or "-use20" for the 1.4 and 2.0 version. I run a p43.06 gig, 768mb of ram and a 9700 pro. I have the game running with everything on high and 1280X960 resolution. Frame limiter set to 30fps and at 70hz. All the eye candy is lovely (and at the highest settings the PC version is completely the equal to if not surpaassing the Xbox version) and I get a fairly smooth experience (with drops in large firefights).

The Xbox version is by far a smoother experience but with some tweaking you can get Halo running pretty nicely on a moderatoe system (though you'll inevitably be foreced to remove some of the prettiness like the specular shading and shadows. (both of which are the biggest killers of framerate next to resolution).

Hope that helps.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I had areas stutter at 800x600 at the default settings, but once I removed the 30fps limiter and switched to vsync, the same areas were smooth at 1024x768.
(p4 2.5gz, G4 Ti4200, 1GB ram)

-Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Seems so-so to me so far. Ya wanna know what I miss the most? The chuggachuggachugga vibration when shooting the chain gun from the back of the Warthog.

Will take some getting used to.

Sam

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Runs at a decent 30 FPS on my setup at 1024x768 although in big fire fights in indoor areas it will occasionally become a slide show. Athlon 2500+ Barton, Radeon 9500 Pro, 1GB PC2700 DDR. It's a definite improvement over the Xbox version graphics wise, the lighting is outstanding and a lot of surfaces are bump mapped.

Brian, I wouldn't even bother with that processor. I put it on my P3 1GHZ, 512MB RAM, GF4 Ti4200 128MB and it was a slidshow at 1024x768. Never tried lower resolutions though so you may have some luck.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well I ran it on my Athlon XP1700+, 512MB, Geforce2GTS at 640x480, medium texture detail, and i must say its DEFINITELY very playable. Except at load/save points, the rest of the time its fairly smooth.

Then again, im not a real stickler for graphic quality (ive been running 1-generation behind hardware all the time), i just want playability.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I have had no problems with the game chugging but i do have a problem with the effects. When i am shooting the pistol or the auto rifle i can never see the gun's firing effects. I am using a p4 with a geforce 4600. Has anyone else had this problem.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
At E3 we had to drop it to 800x600 on a speedy machine running a 9800 pro just to get decent frame rates and it was still choppy.

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
1.4ghz Tbird
1gig O DDR
Radeon9800pro

Runs fine here. 1024res high settings etc.. My x1010 laptop however blue screens and reboots 5mins into playing though. Not that I was getting top end performance off a centario lappy lol.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm at the "If I only had a super weapon..." level.

Some observations:

- Sometimes there is a graphic of a weapon on the ground, but you cannot run over it and get the "Press E to swap weapons".

- During heavy shooting scenes, the plasma blast and sound effects get out of sync (could be my modest grade computer)

- Assault rifle graphics - cannot see the bullets flying like I remembered with the XBox version. (once again - could be my computer).

- Using a sniper rifle against hunters, I cannot see gaps in the armor like the XBox version that gave a 1-shot, 1-kill.

- Shots from the Scorpion tank seem to do more collaterial damage (bigger blast radius). I cleared an entire bridge in just 2 shots.

Looking forward to any hacks (like unlimited ammo). I really want to try several levels with just the pistol.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Bob, I noticed the swap weapons problem too!

This game chugs in the docking bay of the Truth and Reconciliation level, hitting framerates around 15 FPS (I'm using VSYNC, 800x600, hardware sound acceleration). I have an Athlon 2200 XP, 1 GB RAM, nForce2 mobo with Soundstorm, and a modest Geforce4 Ti 4400.

I'll try that -use11 command line next...thanks for the tip!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'll try again with the -use11 function, because firefights (only in enclosed areas) make the game totally unplayable on my Athlon 1.4 GHz w/ 128 MB GeForce 5200 system.

Otherwise, what can I say about this game? It's actually another game called "Red Line", only enhanced a bit and released by Microsoft. I'm not vastly impressed, but there is enough to keep my interest so far -- if the -use11 works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks