What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
note: this is just to gather the specific discussion on these two questions and not to start the usual dts/dd war. if it's redundant, we can continue on Rob Gillespie's thread a bit below.
wink.gif

I think the dolby dvds should also have been remastered as the charts we discussed revealed also a problem in dolby. But anyway, what we, fans of the movies, need to know is how to pick up the new corrected editions, if possible.
if anyone can also dare to comment on the discs, great. Obi has given us some hints so far. Widescreen seems to have received the discs. Maybe Cliffs at dvdfile ?

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Universal did a fumble worse than Clint Stoerner in the '99 Tennessee/Arkansas game(He lost his footing and almost literally put the football on the ground) with these releases.
Please Universal, make it right.
Any help on locating the new releases will be greatly appreciated.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

CliffS

Auditioning
Like Obi, I haven't done a review for it since it the packaging is identical to the original release in every way. I could say how much better it sounds, but then good luck trying to find one at retail. They did in fact use the LD master while what I was told on the inside is that the original pressing used the theatrical master. If something went wrong during the encoding, that's a different story. Bass on the new pressing is noticably deeper and more foundation shaking. Surround levels are also increased over the previous release and the DTS track as a whole is just much more dynamic.
The interesting thing about the JP DVD soundtracks is that, as standalones and without the laserdisc to compare against, they really did sound good (which is probably why so many reviewers praised them initally). I no longer have my DTS LD of JP and therefore couldn't do a comparison when it was released. It was when people with the LD still around started to do comparisons that discrepancies were found between the DVDs and LDs. If this proves anything, it's that for all the hype and talk about original masters and reconforming for home theater, sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it just makes the line of what exactly is original very blurred. We've now had two different soundtracks released, but the praised track is the one we know for sure not to be the original. If you guys really want a comparative review of the NEW DTS JP, trust me... try and find one. It's an even better experience.
As for Lost World, I never heard a problem with that track (and to the best of my knowledge, Universal is not repressing that one). I did think that there was some low bass present in the DTS track that seemed missing in the Dolby version, but I didn't assume anything wrong with the DTS. After looking at Bjoern Ray's graphs this morning, it's all the more confusing. Like I said, it's hard to know what is the original, so you just have to go with what you think sounds better.
------------------
Cliff
DVDFile.com

William Ward

Supporting Actor
From what I understood, the JP DTS LD was only wrong in the +3db in the surrounds. Also, if the original dts dvd was the "theatrical version", then why was the dpl track on the same disc encoded with more bass? This tells us there was some kind of encoding error.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Universal did a fumble worse than Clint Stoerner in the '99 Tennessee/Arkansas game(He lost his footing and almost literally put the football on the ground) with these releases.
Actually, he did place the ball on the ground... he was using it to keep his balance and he just kinda left it there. I was sitting (actually standing) about 60ft away from where it happened (I have UT season tickets in Section S). Wow, talk about 108,000 people goin' ape-sh@#! We sent him a nice fruit basket for that gift... never did receive a thank you card back from the guy though.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I never realized there was a problem with the JP DVD, it's always sounded great to me. But then again, I always listen to it in dts so...
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Cliff
Hi and thanks for sharing your thoughts. The good thing is all sources confirm the new dvd is indeed corrected and sounds as the dts ld. But the bad thing remains that, except from buying it from DTS Online (soon I guess), no way to be sure to have our hands on the corrected ones.
isn't Bjoern Roy's new charts revealing weird stuff indeed? I learned today for sure.
Best

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Just in case you guys weren't reading the Unbreakable review thead, I thought I would post my findings here as well.
I contacted DTS and they told me they had no comment on the Jurassic Park remastered soundtrack situation. They also told me if I had anymore questions to call Universal.
I then contacted Universal and of course they no nothing about this. What really pisses me off here is that plenty of people are actually wanting to rebuy the correct version, yet Universal is basically covering up their fuck-up, so they don't look bad, by not changing the packaging.
I think it might be time to start up a petition to Universal to release the new version in a properly marked case. I don't have the resources to start one, but hopefully some members here do.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Universal should allow their customers to exchange their DTS JPs. Other studios have done it. I think the reason for the silence in this issue is due to them not wanting to lose money.
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Universal will never admit that there was a mistake to begin with, hence the total lack of new signage on the repressing. I wouldn't be surprised if they've told DTS to shut the F up too, at least to consumers.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
From what I understood, the JP DTS LD was only wrong in the +3db in the surrounds.
You understand correctly. And it wasn't an intentional boost (according to DTS) - it was a legitimate mistake as the working tapes they received weren't properly labelled as already having the 3dB adjustment (which they did) so DTS added it again.
This is a very Disney-esque approach being taken by Universal. In this day of instant information over the Net they cannot afford to sweep things under the rug in this manner. People know what is going on.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
damn.... this sucks ( pardon my French
biggrin.gif
). Rob, I think you could be right.
well, I always wanted to buy that DTS lightbox anyway, why not add a dvd
laugh.gif

DanR

Supporting Actor
It's official . . .
I'm very upset with Universal right now. I hope I can cool down about their piss-poor way of handling this situation. Not only are they not going to rectify the situation, but they also aren't marking the DVDs so that we can take matters into our own hands (i.e. go buy the friggin' thing ourselves if they won't replace it). In my current angered state, I have to say that I won't buy anymore Universal DVDs.
Universal can "F*ck Off" as far as I'm concerned. [insert middle finger here]
Regards,
Dan

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
yo Dan!
tommorrow, focus on one thing: the JP III press release and reviews(if public). they'd better like it!!!!
biggrin.gif

cheers

William Ward

Supporting Actor
"Cassin' Frackin' Varmints!!!!!!!"
How about a studio feedback post giving the consumers who care an option about replacing their DVD????
I'd certainly add my vote.
Perhaps The Digital Bits could be involved a la Star Wars petition from two years ago.
I want an anamorphic picture with the proper digital soundtrack!!!!!
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
William: got the message but though that it would be better to put the reply here:
laugh.gif

"Re: new DTS Jurassic Park and Lost World dvds: how to identify which dts dvd are the remastered discs ?
Dear Sir
I would like to be sure how to identify which dvds editions will be the corrected ones ?
Can you help me ?
Thank you beforehand.
Regards
David Alexander
Dear Customer
Look for the DTS logo on you DVD selection.
Best regards,
DTS Customer Service
mwouahhh!!!
rolleyes.gif

now, you might wanna check this discussion:http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/f...ML/003703.html
ELVIS HAS NOT LEFT THE BUILDING!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
That's too sad to be funny David....
frown.gif

Dan Hitchman started a thread back in May about this in the Studio Feedback area. I'd suggest everyone who wants the corrected JP soundtracks go over there and be counted.
It worked for Say Anything.....
wink.gif

------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you guys just buy the DD version if you want more bass? Or even just turn up the LFE on the DTS, since Bjoern Roy's graphs (to me at least) didn't indicate anything different than a level difference? I haven't seen mentioned anywhere that the new DTS will be remastered, just a new pressing. Really, why you keep this whole debacle about the "incorrect" previous version going is beyond me...
/Mike

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the response I recieved from DTS earlier today:
Lane,
We are getting ready to move and expand the online store, and therefore will not be replacing the discs which are out of stock. Jurassic Park just happens to be one of these titles. We will carry it in a few months when the store is fully expanded and updated.
As for the repressed version, there is no telling when the market will be fully saturated. There are no differentiating markings on the package to alert the buyer.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Mike: pleeeeease...... you work for Universal ?
laugh.gif

At least, check you arguments before sounding so "factual" or " you guys don't know nothing " yada yada
Lane: weird answer isnt't it? but the last sentence sure is a confirmation of our fears..... now the idea of getting the new dvds from them is to be ruled out also.
I guess only three guys have the right copies: Perry Sun, Robert George and Cliffs from Dvdfile
biggrin.gif

time to pop in the laserdisc in the Pioneer 925 player.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks