-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

PVR options in Canada

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 12:18 PM

Are there any other PVR options for Canadians besides the Expressvu 5100 box? I've decided that I want a PVR, but want to make sure that I've evaluated all possible options before buying. The Expressvu solution is the most convenient (already a subscriber with a 3100), but if there's something better out there I'd love to hear about it.

Any comments from anyone using the Bell PVR? Are there features that it lacks that are present on Tivos and such? Is it likely that 6 months from now I'll be able to buy a Tivo here (without having to hack it)?
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#2 of 8 Trevor V

Trevor V

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 12 2003 - 12:35 PM

I've got a 5100 and it really is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've never used a Tivo or ReplayTV so I can't compare them to the 5100.

The 5100 has a search feature, 30 second skip ahead button, 10 second skip back button, can hold either 30 or 60 hours of video depending on which version you buy. That time will change however depending on what type of program you're recording. Recording hockey games for example almost takes twice as much space, I only get about 20 hours of recording if it's all sports or anything else with fast action, lots of audio and colors.

I'd recommend it to anyone with access to Bell here in Canada.

#3 of 8 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 10:17 AM

I recently bought a 5100 (40GB HD - 30 Hours) for $281 CAD. I'm very happy with it so far. Right now, it's the only legal option in Canada...

#4 of 8 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 10:33 AM

Robert-where did you manage to get one that cheap? The Bell website lists them at $550 or something.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#5 of 8 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted October 18 2003 - 11:57 AM

There was a local sale here in Calgary (Soundsaround). They had quite a few of them. The current $599 price is for the 80GB (+/-60 hour) version. There are several websites that document the procedure for adding a larger HD as well...

#6 of 8 FrancisD

FrancisD

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 03:55 AM

Is bell the only company that offers the service in Canada?

#7 of 8 Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted December 03 2003 - 12:38 PM

Rogers now offers one.

#8 of 8 SuzanneC

SuzanneC

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted June 15 2012 - 01:45 AM

I have the Bell 9242 model which services two TVs -- until now I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but I've just come up against what I think may be Bell deciding to shift their focus to their new fibre technology. In a nutshell, our PVR has begun malfunctioning -- spent some time on the phone with their technicians only to find out my hard drive is the problem but that Bell no longer makes a PVR that supports two TVs. So my choice is to either buy two (one for each TV along with an addition landline to support the second PVR) or purchase a 'refurbished' model like my existing one. My first question is why would they discontinue the multi-TV model? And it does seem like a nice scam -- if you have more than one TV, you are not only on the hook for more than one receiver, but also must sign on for the monthly charge for another phone line! Are there other options out there?