What's new

Why is there less love for TV OAR than for movies? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This has been kinda bugging me for a bit, and moreso after the Wonka brouhaha.
There is an intense and consistent pro-OAR attitude regarding movies here. But when it comes to television, I perceive less concern about OAR. I've seen various comments and discussions about the zoom modes on widescreen TVs, allowing a 4:3 image (TV) to fill the entire 16:9 screen, with no apparent concern about OAR issues. I've also not seen the same 'stigma' regarding those who tamper with TV OAR as with movies.
So why the lesser concern about TV OAR? A few ideas:
- I've misjudged what I've read here, and most do consider TV OAR as important as for movies.
- This is H-Theater-F and not H-Television-F, and TV is not of concern.
- TV shows are considered a lesser art than movies, and so OAR is less important.
- OAR is mandatory, except when it's inconvenient (preventing burn-in on widescreen RPTVs)
I'm interested in what others have perceived regarding this, and what the reasons for it are (if it is really the case).
dave f.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I can't speak for others, but I have a 16:9 tv, and I NEVER use the zoom or stretch mode to watch TV. I always keep it in the proper OAR, and the bars on the side of the TV dont bother me at all.
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I would guess that most people here do not watch movies on television, other than HBO (and there has been quite an uproar over non-OAR on HBO).
Movies on network TV are so bastardized (non-OAR, edited for language, time compressed, commercials, etc.), it's tough to know where to begin to complain!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
OAR is mandatory, except when it's inconvenient (preventing burn-in on widescreen RPTVs)
The above quote fits my opinion just fine. Fortunately most of my television viewing is in 16x9 HDTV or from DVD's.

Also - I boycott HBO HDTV pay per view unless the movie is shown in its OAR.

Paul

[Edited last by Paul Hillenbrand on August 22, 2001 at 06:41 PM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think that as time goes on, more and more TV shows will be done in widescreen. I have one and always leave it in 'full' mode. This stretches the picture of 4:3's, but it is barely perceptable. Actually, I've never see Ally McBeal in 4:3, so she isn't that skinny. :)
Glenn

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But when it comes to television, I perceive less concern about OAR. I've seen various comments and discussions about the zoom modes on widescreen TVs, allowing a 4:3 image (TV) to fill the entire 16:9 screen, with no apparent concern about OAR issues. I've also not seen the same 'stigma' regarding those who tamper with TV OAR as with movies.
Maybe not recently, but I remember threads from a while ago in which modifying the OAR of TV shows was strongly criticized (probably by Mike Knapp :)).
I always watch TV in its OAR, with the exception of reruns that I'm only paying partial attention to. For those, I'll zoom the picture for burn-in prevention.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 22, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
but I remember threads from a while ago in which modifying the OAR of TV shows was strongly criticized
I think I've seen a couple of his comments :) I'm not trying to criticize people (I'm no saint in the OAR faith), but I am interested in ferreting out the cause of the apparent inconsistency.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Part of it goes to saying, "They are just TV shows". Even ignoring the money involved, a lot more work goes into a movie, but I watch a lot more movies than I do TV, and some TV shows are done in 'widescreen' now. If I miss the 'widescreen' message, they will really look all screwed up!

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I have a 16x9 display and I leave in the zoom mode most of the time. I rarely watch movies on Tv, those that do are shown in widescreen (or I wouldn't be watching!) so the zoom is not a problem. For the FULL or "TV" strch modes are unwatchable. Some people don't mind or don't notice the distortion but I find it glaring.
Frnakly alot of stuff on TV is pretty worthless and if I watch it I don't care about the AR and I don't want to risk burn-in.
For stuff that I do like I put it in 4x3 mode (e.g The West Wing, Law& Order, Formula One races)
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Some programs, increasingly more as time goes on, are originally shot at 16x9 as that was to be the HDTV standard. Upon original broadcast, they were cropped to 4:3. These should be released as 16x9 on DVD. Programs that have no other aspect ratio than 4:3 ought to be released as such. I think it's pretty standard here that the shape of the display should never dictate the shape of the media.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Do you also watch non 16x9 movies zoomed, to avoid burn-in?
No, a two to three hour movie is not going to burn in a screen, just like a two to three hour 2:35.1 ratio widescreen movie with the black bars won't burn in a screen.
Also understand that there are many more programs on an SDTV (480P) channel. Networks such as Fox that broadcast in SDTV - ATSC have several 4:3 ratio upconverted programs like "The Simpsons" for example that cannot be zoomed because they use the ATSC signal. At least I've noticed this on both my RCA SDTV and Sony HDTV.
Paul

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I'm sure when all TV becomes digital, there will be no need to worry about black bars on the sides of your screen to cause burn-in. That's because the Networks will fill those black areas with banner ads.
The same will hold true for non-anamorphic movies. So what's to worry then? There's alot at stake with the HDTV push, not just higher resolution and multi-channel sound, but a better vehicle in which to sell ad space that can't be accomplished in analog TV.
Maybe they will forsake commercial breaks with continous banner ads alongside the image. I can see them doing that for sporting events.

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sick of 4:3
Time to extinct it USA! Get rid of it. We need to move on. We see square, and thus many think square (joesixpacks).

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I avoid TV like the plague, with one notable exeption: X-Files. If that show were not on, the only reason I would have a TV would be to watch my DVD's. I think the people that get HBO for the theatrical movies are not the ones buying DVD's. I say "theatrical" because I know a lot of people have HBO for the original programming (Sopranos).
As far as network TV showing movies...who'd want to watch them anyway?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Dave,
I wouldn't say that there is less love for TV OAR. I think that there is less love for TV period. How often do the networks show respect for a film's OAR? Stretching an image is not the same as pan and scan, provided that none of the image is cropped in the process. And full screen concerns don't even apply since everything is composed for it's native presentation medium which normally prevents the visibility of boom mikes, hoses going up people's trousers, and other various goodies. But in all honesty, I don't really see the point of this post since it's safe to assume that most people who purchase widescreen sets often do so to watch widescreen material. I am sure that they are used for normal TV viewing, but that's not their primary use.
Also, I don't recall anyone ever stating that TV OARs should be altered.
You want to know the real reason why most of us are really upset over Wonka? It's because we are not getting a choice as to what format we can watch it in. Does J6P prefer altered OARs to view his DVDs? Fine. But I don't like the idea of my options being affected by his viewing habits.
[Edited last by Dwayne on August 22, 2001 at 11:57 PM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm sick of 4:3
Time to extinct it USA! Get rid of it. We need to move on. We see square, and thus many think square (joesixpacks).
No offense, but this makes YOU sound like a J6P. There are many movies and other valuable programming which was filmed in the aspect ratio of 4:3. It shouldn't matter where or what color the bars to preserve aspect ratio are. It should only matter that the OAR is preserved.
As for you're question, Dave, judging by many of the responses, your "OAR is mandatory, except when it's inconvenient (preventing burn-in on widescreen RPTVs)" choice seems to be the most acurate. And this agrrivates me. What right do any of us have to demand that J6P watch movies in OAR when we won't watch 4x3 material in OAR? I realize that this doesn't affect everyone, and I apologize to those who watch 4x3 material in it's correct OAR.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not offended. :)
To be honest, we here in the usa, we've been living with this 4:3 set for over 60 years?
Time to make it widescreen in every household. Time to see a vision. We humans don't see square, we see the world as wide.
Time for the government and every company to team up, and make this mandatory.
I am not bringing this up because of dvd or OAR..I am bringing this up cause our asses are behind. No silly, not behind, but behind in the important technology, TV.
As far as those movies that were made in 4:3? Watch them in our widescreen sets. :up:
[Edited last by Antonio_M on August 23, 2001 at 01:07 AM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
do said:
Again, why? If you care about movie OAR, why don't you care about TV OAR?
I'm not trying to pick a fight. But I'm surprised and a bit baffled why OAR for movies are worth a veritable jihad, but OAR for TV shows is of little concern, in general. Now, granted, zooming doesn't involve cropping as P&S does. But it does still mangle the OAR. And most consider non-OAR, open-matte to be verboten, even though the image is not cropped, because the film is not presented as it ought to be.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
If its something I'm going to sit down and watch properly, like I would a film, then yes, it goes in the correct aspect ratio. One of the main reasons for buying a digital set-top box was so I could watch The X-Files, The Planets and Walking With Dinosaurs broadcast in 16x9 anamorphic. If I'm watching The Simpsons then sure the tv goes into 4x3 mode. If the news or something is on in the background and I'm not watching the screen properly anyway then I can't always be bothered to fiddle to get it into the proper mode however.
I guess thats the real rule. OAR for anything you intend to actually watch properly. If I were just going to buy Wonka to have on while I ironed or something then I wouldn't see the need to be concerned about OAR either, I suppose. Does it really matter if the framing is wrecked when you're not looking at it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks