• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 MarkAU

MarkAU

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 07:32 AM

Hi everyone. This is my first post here .
I bought an inexpensive Panasonic HT 75 system to install in our motorhome. I have a Direct TV satellite system , a VCR and now this Panasonic system with a built in DVD.
I realize many of you will cringe at this system as I am an old audiophile myself from years ago .( Maneplanars ,AR , NAD , HAlfer , Dynaco , Phase Linear etc)
We spend a lot of time traveling and I thought it would be nice to have a small inexpensive system in the motorhome. The problem is the TV that is installed is just a mono TV . I thought I could connect the unit through the VCR but the instructions say no. Also with this unit there is a video out that needs to be connected to the tv so I can see the on screen menu for the DVD. There is no video input. I really had rather not replace the TV as it is built in and any replacement would require new cabinetry.
The satellite unit has the audio and video outputs , but no video input.
Can anyone offer some advice on how to install the system?
Thank you
Mark

#2 of 4 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 09:40 AM

Quote:
There is no video input.

Your only choice, short of getting a new TV is to buy an RF converter for your DVD player... it sort of defeats the purpose of DVD since it degrades the picture quality by converting it to an RF signal. I've never used one... but, your picture would probably be slightly better than a VCR. They can be had at around $29, I believe.

Quote:
I thought I could connect the unit through the VCR but the instructions say no.

The reason for this is the Macrovision will kick in and probably cause the picture to fade in and out. This is to deter you from copying DVD's to VHS (why anyone would do that is a mystery). However, it wouldn't hurt to try it... I have a friend with an old JVC vcr that the Macrovision protection doesn't show up on the video inputs. So, he can run his DVD player through it, but if he tries to record... it shows up on the tape when played in another VCR. It's wierd.

#3 of 4 MarkAU

MarkAU

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 12:48 PM

Thanks Dave ,
Im investigating it now !
Mark

#4 of 4 MarkAU

MarkAU

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted October 15 2003 - 04:21 AM

I bought an RF modulator and intstalled it . It is working great !
Thanks for the help !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow