Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3 stooges the movie , to be made by farrely bros ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 03:25 PM

When will hollywood stop messing around with the classics !Posted Image
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 03:26 PM

Oops , forgot to mention, i saw this posted at 411 mania.com, in the movie section of their site.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 04:30 AM

Sorry if I should have started a new thread, but searched & found one already:

But it looks like this lamest of ideas is moving forward again. The Farralley Brothers, who fill their movies with jokes about snot, constipation & going to the bathroom are moving forward with this most terrible of an idea:

Three Stooges bringing zany antics to big screen - Yahoo! News

Please. Someone make this stop.

The only bright spot is perhaps this will ensure the completion of the wonderfully restored, magnificent Three Stooges Collection DVDs by Sony (currently up to Volume 4).

Not only are the Farralley brothers guaranteed to disrespect the comedy legends, there really are no other actors that should be playing Larry, Moe, Curly and Shemp, besides Larry, Moe, Curly and Shemp.

This is the stupidest idea to come out of Hollywood years, and that's saying something. Next month: The Andy Griffith Show Movie!

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 07 2008 - 05:56 AM

Do you have a source on how they are guaranteed to disrespect the legends? I doubt anyone could disrespect them more than Columbia did.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 07 2008 - 10:43 AM

Here's a link to an article.
MGM Sets 'Three Stooges' Movie for 2009 - Farrelly Brothers may finally make their slapstick dream picture - Zap2it

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Like that Honeymooners remake, it wont work because the Stooges worked due to their personalities. Hard to replicate that. They'll probably cast this too young like most the movies are these days so I just don't see it working. They admit in that article that at 20 minutes the Stooges barely work, a 90 minute movie? What time period will it be in?

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,511 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted November 07 2008 - 11:19 AM

I may be the only member here to have worked with The Stooges when I was 10. I was in a TV special called "Who's Afraid Of Mother Goose" and played Little Boy Blue. The Stooges were the 3 Men In A Tub.

Being 10 and growing up watching them, they were gods to me when I saw them walk up a hall at rehearsal the first time. Moe even sent me 8mm copies of the early shorts with Curly when he learned I was a fan of celluloid at home.

This is a bad idea. There was an aborted attempt by Moe's son in law to do something decades ago, and he thought better of it. Also, The Fat Boys in "Disorderlies" (sp) were supposed to be a new Stooge thing.

Admire what they created...cherish what remains...and the memories that evokes.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted November 07 2008 - 10:47 PM

Are we talking about a documentary type of film, or new actors just playing the original parts and continuing new Stooge adventures? If it's the latter, this idea is very unlikely to work. Just like the pathetic LITTLE RASCALS movie of some years back and the aforementioned HONEYMOONERS, you cannot have new actors playing bonafide established comedians of legend who were who they were because the people themselves WERE their character..

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted November 08 2008 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi
Are we talking about a documentary type of film, or new actors just playing the original parts and continuing new Stooge adventures? If it's the latter, this idea is very unlikely to work. Just like the pathetic LITTLE RASCALS movie of some years back and the aforementioned HONEYMOONERS, you cannot have new actors playing bonafide established comedians of legend who were who they were because the people themselves WERE their character..

Joe, according to the story I linked to above, it looks like "new actors" including an opening 20:00 minute segment with the 3 Stooges as 7-year olds terrorizing an orphanage. Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Steelheart1948

Steelheart1948

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 01:57 AM

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head. A re-make would be a colossal failure. Some things should be left alone. This is one of them.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 03:11 AM

Quote:

I agree. It becomes an SNL skit. It's like remaking Eddie Murphy's RAW with an actor to play Eddie Murphy. Or remaking any Charlie Chaplin movie and finding someone to play the Tramp. Damn near impossible.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted November 09 2008 - 05:19 AM

They tried something similar with Laurel & Hardy a while ago.
The All New Adventures of Laurel & Hardy in 'For Love or Mummy'

I don't plan on ever seeing it (even if the reviews weren't horrible).

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted November 10 2008 - 08:24 AM

Some more news about this film from Variety. Still casting, but have a Nov. 2009 release date picked already:

Farrellys to direct 'Three Stooges' - Entertainment News, Los Angeles, Media - Variety

Forum Nav Content I Follow