Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE 10/01/'03: "Rajiin"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:17 PM

episode title: "Rajiin"
episode: #56
original airdate: October 1, 2003
writers: Brent V. Friedman & Chris Black
story: Paul Brown (III) & Brent V. Friedman
director: Mike Vejar
synopsis: "The NX-01 gets closer to a showdown with the Xindi when Captain Archer takes on an enigmatic passenger: a beautiful slave named Rajiin."
Notes: Originally titled "Enemy Advances".

"No comment."

"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 40 CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 11:52 PM

Finally the xindi story continues

#3 of 40 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 04:12 AM

So have you actually seen it yet?

#4 of 40 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 06:16 AM

Has anyone else in Kansas City had trouble with Time Warner during Enterprize? Each week, the reception has been so bad that Tivo decides that there is no signal, and stops recording.

I check on the antenna tv last week, and the reception was fine, so it must be a Time Warner problem.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#5 of 40 johnbr

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 10:46 AM

I so the show today I would call it a good episode.I would call the episode no friends.

#6 of 40 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 11:37 AM

Julian Reville wrote (post #3):

Quote:
So have you actually seen it yet?

That should read: "This looks like a scenario that, in its outline and (probably) in most of its details, has been played out so many times before in Trek history that I'll leave it to others to point it out. Therefore, 'No comment' (for now)."

In other words, do I need to?

"Delenda est . . . . "

#7 of 40 PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 01:11 AM

Latest episode Posted Image

A weak first half, but the second half more than made up for it. The plot was predictable, but they're much better at the action/suspense sequences this season, and it makes all the difference.

They're definitely building up a decent story arc here.

And the slime weapon was particularly cool.

edited to remove spoiler tags

#8 of 40 doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 752 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted October 01 2003 - 06:39 AM

Yup, not bad.. not bad..

Getting tired of Archer's furrowed brow and pacing routine..

#9 of 40 Will Cunningham

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 02:48 PM

I had an interesting experiance during this episode. I had a friend stop by to watch Smallville and Angel with me, since only one of my TiVo's is functioning at the moment that ment I had to watch Star Trek live while the other shows recorded. Anyway, it was interesting to see his reaction to the new direction to the new season's story arc.

His first comment when the captured alien wouldn't give out any information was basically "why is she even worried, it is not like the star trek guy is going to torture her"...which is exactly what happened last week and helped make this weeks episode more suspensful.

He made a few other comments that were actually covered by previous episode plot points and I have to say that in the process of explaining things to him as the episode went on, I realized that they are doing a pretty good job so far. It was like I took off my jaded glasses and put on some clear contacts or something. I am definately excited about the new direction the show is taking and looking forward to the next episode.
Will Cunningham - www.MadRavings.com

#10 of 40 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 03:02 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else in Kansas City had trouble with Time Warner during Enterprize? Each week, the reception has been so bad that Tivo decides that there is no signal, and stops recording.

Randy, happens to me too.. I use their DVR (slightly altered) and have run into the same type of problem.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#11 of 40 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted October 01 2003 - 04:04 PM

After watching Enterprise tonight it definitly feels like there's a lot of sexual tension between everyone. It's only a matter of time before Trip gets together with T'Pol.

#12 of 40 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 04:45 PM

Remember when Enterprise first came on and the producers said one of the crew would be gay, but they wouldn't tell which one? I think we got a clue tonight. And I don't mean T'Pol.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 40 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted October 01 2003 - 05:02 PM

Quote:
Remember when Enterprise first came on and the producers said one of the crew would be gay, but they wouldn't tell which one? I think we got a clue tonight. And I don't mean T'Pol.

Oh hell yeah! Posted Image

#14 of 40 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,057 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 05:18 PM

Pretty good episode, continuing to expose more of the Xindi plot. I knew there was more to that girl then the silly preview suggests.

Points given for the continued use of the special effects group, the aerial view of the alien sea city was great, and the otherworldly feel of that city interior set was also well done.

I liked the use of the new music and the composer gave the sequence when Rajiin "scanned" Archer a very retro-Classic Trek feel. To my ears, very reminesent of the best of Season One and Two of Classic Trek. The older music was getting generic and left over from the Next Gen days.

The Xindi seem to be getting desperate and a possible mistake on their part. One the otherhand, the bio-weapon was an interesting twist. I suspect we may see Rajiin again, unless they do away with her.

Also I like the small continuity bit with Archer's skin rash. And the exchange of the spices for the formula to make the techno-whatever to coat the hull was humorous. But I don't recall Archer meeting that alien in a past show.

Not sure I agree with the earlier suggestion of who a gay character could be, if such a thing was to occurr in Enterprise, that character in the past had a fling with the opposite sex.

Nelson

#15 of 40 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 01 2003 - 07:20 PM

I think Archer met with the chemist "between episodes." Otherwise, I don't remember him either.

#16 of 40 CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:00 AM

Reception was fine on Time Warner in Lenexa.

Overall the episode was not bad. The floating city actually reminded me of real SF! I was disappointed with Enterprise last season and eventually stopped watching regularly, but so far this season I'm still interested.

#17 of 40 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 02:55 AM

Unfortunatly, I missed the second half, since Cox went out here...

Quote:

Heh, I think I know what you are talking about. When the slave merchant asked Archer how he could resist Rajiin, I yelled out, "Because he's gay!" Posted Image

Jason

#18 of 40 John_V

John_V

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 03:36 AM

Heh, I think I know what you are talking about. When the slave merchant asked Archer how he could resist Rajiin, I yelled out, "Because he's gay!"

My guess was actually Hoshi...

#19 of 40 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 03:41 AM

I started to watch this last night, but I just couldn't hack it past the latest T'Pol/Trip massage scene (replete with the references to "people talking" about Trip's nocturnal visits to T'Pol's quarters). There was a PBS documentary about the FBI that I wanted to watch instead. I'll try again on Sunday. If I feel like it.

#20 of 40 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted October 02 2003 - 04:53 AM

With the show switching to a serial style to emphasize the story arc, it has gotten more interesting, I would not necessarily say better. I don't really think improvements in the music or special effects are "improvements" with all the money they have to spend on this show, those should be a given.

But with the Xindi council showing up in every episode, this is not the usual star trek fair (not a bad thing). This show is indeed becoming more retro as Nelson pointed out, but to me, IMO this show has more of an approach similar to the original Buck Rogers serials (not that 80's series). Here we have the heroes (Enterprise), approaching the mad scientists (the Xindi) trying to stop them from using their evil "death ray" on the planet Earth. The show has them getting closer and closer to the mad scientist's headquarters. Sound familar? Its almost like those B&W holodeck shows on Voyager with Paris, but that was an attempt at humor, this series is not, but still the Buck Rogers type formula is there. But like I said, this is not a bad thing - the show definitely shows some improvements in the storyline, but like I said, its not really Star Trek in the familiar sense.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow