-

Photo

VHS retirement policy?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted August 26 2001 - 11:54 PM

I was looking over my video collection at the weekend, and it got me to thinking! How many of you have already thrown out your entire video collection. I know this is the Home Theater Forum, and video doesn't really have a place here, but already owning the video, does have a distinct bearing on whether I buy the DVD. For instance, if the DVD version is featureless, not remastered, and not in 5.1, I WONT buy the DVD. Likewise, I think many old films have a certain charm when viewed with a scratchy print and a noisy soundtrack. Is this blasphemy?

I know its probably an issue of TV size for mnay people, but most of my videos look fine on my (non-HD) 42"er. Another annoying thing is.... you can't sell them without only for a few pounds/dollars per tape. And I'd rather keep em, than sell them for that much!

Any opinions!
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 12:20 AM

Here's how I handle it:

If I hear a DVD is on-the-way for a film I own a storebought VHS of, then I put the VHS in a box in the closet where I store these things.

I don't toss out or otherwise get rid of anything; I've too often regretted that with comic books, records, video games, etc. I think I'll be a packrat and store these for at least a little while.

Even if the title is still a looooong way off, then I still put the VHS away. With all the titles I own, there is no discomfort in waiting to watch just one title.

I tend to hope that the DVD is done justice. Even if it is just a bare-bones disc, though, I still would rather have the DVD quality and permanence over VHS any day. I used to justify P&S DVD's that way, but now I at least am discriminating enough to refuse to buy those...it's just not necessary.

Those are my thoughts...

------------------

DAVE/Memphis

Widescreen is Family Fun!
Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 01:01 AM

Videos is one of the best things that get money from yard or tag sales. Putting 2 to 5 dollars on a store bought video walks right from table with out much challenge. Store it like David suggests and sell it when you have enough. The really good ones I keep for the guess room since it has a vcr and t.v. just to give guest a choice of something to watch. Usually they find them selves downstairs.

------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 01:30 AM

Actually, I never really collected VHS.I saw the evil in VHS Posted Image so I really only have about 2 store bought VHS tapes. The other side of the coin though is that I have a ton of movies that a friend recorded off of laserdisc and DVD for me back before I had a DVD player, there is like 60 of these movies I got from him over the years (all in their OAR) so I'll keep those but I'm quietly working on upgrading those to DVD. The 2 store bought VHS tapes I had in the closet so I never have to remember that insidious evil also I don't want to give myself nightmares Posted Image

-Keith-
-Keith-       

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 01:43 AM

When the DVD comes out to replace a VHS tape, I trash the tape. So far I have replaced about 700. Have purchased another 200 DVD's that I had no tapes to replace. I have about 1300 VHS tapes to go.

I hold onto the tapes until the DVD is released. I suspect that it could be years (if ever) for some of the classic films in my collection to get placed on DVD.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,502 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 27 2001 - 01:51 AM

I only owned about 15 movies on VHS, since I never considered VHS a collectible format. I gave most of them to my parents (that reminds me, it's time to give them my VHS copy of "Citizen Kane").

------------------
My DVD Collection

AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 02:29 AM

I, too, never collected many VHS tapes. The majority of the onew I bought were tapes in OAR. As I replace a tape with the DVD, I have been giving the VHS tapes to my two daughters. They also appreciate seeing movies in OAR.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Paul W

Paul W

Second Unit

• 468 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 02:35 AM

I gave my collection of roughly 15 VHS tapes (including a LBX Das Boot and PS Star Wars OT) to my mom, when I gave her my VCR (never use it anymore).

She's happy with it.

------------------
Posted Image Paul Warren

Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

"Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight." —Danny, Withnail and I

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Ricky f

Ricky f

Supporting Actor

• 721 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 03:16 AM

I Used to mainly rent VHS, But obviously I did Buy. I have got pretty much all my VHS collection back on DVD except for a few.

Drop Dead Fred
Radio Flyer
Best Of The Best
Child's Play 3

I have not bought a VHS in a year or so.

DVD is my best friend Posted Image

Regards,
Ricky

------------------

Please help convince Warner to release Stephen King's IT On DVD

http://www.hometheat....ML/003344.html

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 03:58 AM

I have boxes and boxes full of VHS tapes.Ill never get rid of them as theyre full of stuff we'll never see on DVD.

I said way back when DVD will never fully replace VHS,just like music-plenty still use cassettes even though CD's are the norm. VHS will always be around.

------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 04:50 AM

Have over 150 VHS tapes left; I gave the ones I bought in DVD format to family and friends. Will keep the rest and still buy older horror titles on VHS, as I too like the way they look on tape Posted Image

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 05:11 AM

About 2 years ago I gave most of my pre-recorded VHS tapes to some friends. The rest are in boxes in the bottom of a closet. There's quite a few things taped off the TV that I'd like to keep an archive of despite the crummy quality (sporting events, specials etc.) When DVD-R becomes more of a reality, I'll back these things up to DVD and toss the tapes.

That's pretty much what I've done with my audio cassettes...

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Mike Clark

Mike Clark

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 05:49 AM

I seem to remember someone here asking for old VCR tapes for some charitable organization. For some reason I seem to recall it being a veteran's home in this particular case. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Either way though, I'm sure there are many organizations that would be glad to take your old tapes off your hands. You might even be able to get the to write you a receipt for a tax deductible donation (maybe $5/tape?)

Just a suggestion.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 05:54 AM

If I own a VHS of a film that is not announced for DVD at all, chances are I still own it (ex: Shock Treatment, Explorers, D.A.R.Y.L., and so on).

If I own a VHS of a film that is announced for DVD... to eBay I go! Posted Image

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 06:27 AM

I only have a few VHS left

Star Wars (Classic and SE both in OAR)
Roman Holiday
Experiment in Terror
Escape from NY (SE with the interview and opening deleted scene not available on the DVD; hopefully the new one)
ET (THX WS)

And a couple of misc ones.

I sold or gave away the rest of my collection from years ago. I gave a few like Indiana Jones and BTTF to my parents but I can borrow them when I want.

My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   erik bush

erik bush

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 08:50 AM

when i got my dvd player i sold off every vhs tape i could (for 5 bucks a tape!!) and then gave what i couldn't sell to my brother.

no vhs for me. Posted Image

~erik

------------------
my dvd list
"what, were they psychos?" "did they look like psychos? is that what they looked like? they were vampires. psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, i don't give a *#@% how crazy they are."

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   AdrianJ

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 10:10 AM

As Mike mentioned above, probably the best thing to do with these old VHS tapes is to donate them to a charitable organization. I know the public library system where I live are happy to have them and if you can itemize your taxes, you can write them off as a charitable contribution.

------------------
Posted Image
Adrian Jones

Adrian Jones

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

• 396 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 10:23 AM

I put my 27" T.V. and VCR in my boys room. I have a large collection of kids VHS movies (Disney and the like), that they watch. As they wear out, they're not replaced except as a DVD. I have duplicated some early with DVD, the ones I want (Goonies, etc...).
Todd

------------------
Quote:
I want the people to know, they still have two out of three branches of government working for them, and that ain't bad! -Mars Attacks

My DVD Collection

My Home Theater

My DVD Collection

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 10:43 AM

I never really owned that many VHS titles (maybe 15-20).
I have replaced everyone of the movies except the ones not released on DVD yet, of course, such as Raiders and Star Wars. I really should try selling what I have on EBay.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 11:21 AM

I'd suggest your local computer user group's swap meet (if they have one). I dumped all of my VHS tapes back in 1989 at the Houston Area Apple Users Group swap meeting. Got pretty decent prices for 'em. (I was moving to LaserDisc.)

-greg