Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2003 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
747 replies to this topic

#741 of 748 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 03:41 AM

"but the Yankees run out the Irish Tenor every night to keep the opposing pitcher from warming up? Double standards??"

No, because Ronan is brilliant with his rendition. Irish tenor refers to a type of singer and doesn't mean he wasn't born in the US.

#742 of 748 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
No, because Ronan is brilliant with his rendition. Irish tenor refers to a type of singer and doesn't mean he wasn't born in the US.

He was born in Kilkenny, Ireland

Not that it matters, It's much more appropriate to have an Irishman who can actually sing the song, than having some no talent ass-clown that happened to be born in this country, which is usually what we get at major sporting events.

#743 of 748 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,037 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
Irish tenor refers to a type of singer and doesn't mean he wasn't born in the US.
Of course it has every thing to do with were he was born and his heritage. Saying it has to do only with his singing style is nonsense.

He does have a good voice but it's nothing special and as far as including the first verse, there is a reason it's generally skipped. I prefer the song without it but that's just my preference.

Now I'm going to say something that some will not understand and others will vilify me for but I think it’s time to stop the mandatory singing of God Bless America during the seventh inning before it becomes too routine. Bring it out for Memorial Day and Independence Day when it would have much more meaning and significance.

#744 of 748 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 05:33 AM

Our paper described David Wells today as a "40 year old fat blob with a mustache". Guess they don't like that crazy nut.

#745 of 748 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 06:27 AM

His heritage yes, but as far as where he was born, not necessarily so.

We've had so many garbage renditions of both songs at sporting events for too long that I'm all for seeing one more traditional done instead.

#746 of 748 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,449 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
I hope they get creative like they did with the Giants. When JT Snow came to bat they played Frosty the Snowman for him at Pro Player.
Wasn't some stadium organist fired, or maybe just reprimanded, this year for playing the theme from Woody Woodpecker when Rafael Palmiero came to bat?

#747 of 748 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 07:23 AM

Ouch!

I do remember Eddie playing that song but he'd do it after a foul ball broken bat.

#748 of 748 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 19 2003 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
The Yankees, whatever one thinks of them, always know how to put class into the proceedings.
Where again was the largest Macarena line dance performed? Posted Image Sorry, couldn't help it.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow