Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2003 ML Baseball Playoff Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
747 replies to this topic

#21 of 748 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,886 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:32 AM

Ouch, looks like my prediction of Yanks in 4 is going to be an uphill battle as the Twins take game 1 by a score of 3-1.

(Granted, I would not be sad if the Yankees did lose in the first round)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#22 of 748 OFFLINE   Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:40 AM

HA! The Yankees lost! I'm a huge Minnesota fan this week!

Down with the Yanks! Down with Torre and the rest of the bottomless pocketbook crew!

#23 of 748 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:44 AM

I am particularly happy after George’s complaints about the unfairness of the Yankees having to play an afternoon game during the week..
¡Time is not my master!

#24 of 748 OFFLINE   Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:48 AM

Alright Twins Posted Image I "watched" the game on ESPN gamecast, but from what I saw numerically, it was a traditional Twins win. Excellent but not dominating pitching, timely hitting, awesome defense, and of course, a heart attack special from Eddie G. Somehow he always pulls it out.

Steven K: Be careful what you wish for...

#25 of 748 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
After watching The Curse of the Bambino on HBO I hope the Red Sox never win.
Why is that? What did that CHB-spawned thing say to make those of us who love the team deserve that?
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#26 of 748 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 10:49 AM

Calm down Jason, I just meant that part of the charm of the Red Sox to us non-Red Sox fans has been the so called curse. If the Red Sox win the World Series this year they will just be another team to the rest of us.

You're lucky! At least the Sox have been to the World Series (and won 5 times). Plus the Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2001, and you have all those Celtic and Bruins Championships to look back on.

Try living in Seattle. In 26 years, the Mariners have only had 8 over-.500 seasons. The closest we came to the series was losing to the Yankees twice in the ALCS. The city has only produced 2 professional Championships (1917 NHL and 1979 NBA). The one bright spot has been The University of Washington Huskies who've won 6 Rose Bowls and was the co-NCAA Champion in 1991.

#27 of 748 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 12:15 PM

It was a beautiful day in the Bronx, clear skies, bright sunshine.
Parking was $20, up from the regular season $10. Scorecard was $8 up from the regular season $5. The Foster's beer 'oil can' was $9.50. The Sausage and pepper sandwich was $7.50 (it was quite tasty though and now my favorite over a hot dog). Just tourist info here, no whining, honest.
From a Yankee fans' perspective this was an ugly way to start the playoffs. Bad fielding led to 2 of the 3 Twins' runs. Mussina pitched well enough and deserved a better fate. Nick Johnson and Jason Giambi went oh fer the day with only 1 ball hit out of the infield. Only Derek Jeter showed he knew how to play playoff baseball. Hurricane George was seen off-shore building up steam.

#28 of 748 OFFLINE   Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 12:35 PM

What pitching performances by Schmidt for SF and Beckett for Florida. The 23 year old kid stood in there like a Clemens or Martinez. Great potential for them over the next few years.

The Barry, the base on balls, the base stealer, the game. He will get his swings and it will be awesome.
Go Orange, Go Blue,
Fight Fight Fight BSU!

It's not whether you win or loose that counts, but whether you win.

#29 of 748 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
Down with Torre and the rest of the bottomless pocketbook crew!

While I'm with you there in sentiment, I have to ask: aren't you a Red Sox fan? Posted Image

#30 of 748 OFFLINE   Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
While I'm with you there in sentiment, I have to ask: aren't you a Red Sox fan?

yeah - but the Sox pocketboot isn't bottomless - it's just really really deep. Posted Image

#31 of 748 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 03:55 PM

Well, Braves watched the Yankee game today and emulated it. Bad fielding. Good start for the best records in baseball huh. Sheffield, you really need to do more than that when complaining a few weeks ago.

Experts predicted the Braves/Cubs to a T. Kerry Wood was amazing. Pitching with a milk dud sized strike zone and all.

"All Time October Choke Team" plaque here we come!

#32 of 748 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 04:44 PM

Quote:
Pitching with a milk dud sized strike zone and all.

You did watch the game right? I'm rooting for the Cubs but Wood was given a pretty liberal strike zone in my opinion.

Quote:
yeah - but the Sox pocketboot isn't bottomless - it's just really really deep.

Oh yeah. They're #2 or #3 in total payroll, right? Posted Image

Go Cubs!
Go Marlins!
Go Twins!
Go Red Sox!

#33 of 748 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
You did watch the game right? I'm rooting for the Cubs but Wood was given a pretty liberal strike zone in my opinion.

Exactly, and many of those same pitches where not being called for Ortiz. Posted Image

Anyhow, despite the loss the Braves never seemed out of it until the game was over, In the recent post seasons I could not help but feel, that they would sometimes accept defeat as soon as they gave up a run or two. Plus the bullpen did not blowup in their faces.

#34 of 748 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:38 PM

Must say the Giants-Marlins game was a great pitching duel. Got a ticket for tommorrow too, cant wait
Grant
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#35 of 748 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 11:49 PM

Quote:

I thought that the strike zone was the same for all the pitchers. It is always up to both the batters and pitchers to adjust.

Besides the strike zone had nothing to do with that botched, bases-loaded double play.
¡Time is not my master!

#36 of 748 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 01:34 AM

Well the best equalizer to the Braves killer offense is a killer pitching staff and the Cubs have plenty of that. Good Luck to them as I think they got the better end of the stick as opposed to the Marlins landing the Giants.

Forgot my picks for the playoffs..

RedSox in 5
Cubs in 5
Giants in 5
Twins in 4

and yes I'm predicting the apocolypse in the Cubs vs Red Sox. The moons are indeed aligned.

#37 of 748 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,041 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly, and many of those same pitches where not being called for Ortiz.
With all do respect that's absolute BS.

The home plate umpire's strike zone was the same for both teams. Neither pitcher was getting the pitches that were a few inches off the plate. That must have been a big shock for the Braves pitchers as they have been accustom to getting that for the past few years.

The only blown call yesterday was the double play; Jones was clearly out.

#38 of 748 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,886 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 03:44 AM

Actually, the batting averages of Ortiz vs. most of the Cubs hitters was pretty high, while the batting averages of the Braves lineup vs. Kerry Woods was low. So the odds were in the Cubs favor last night.

That being said, Fick probably did cost the Braves the game on the defensive side, while the bat didn't come through in the 8th inning. Plus Ortiz just made a really bad pitch to Woods (when he drove in 2 runs with the hit into the left-center gap).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#39 of 748 OFFLINE   Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 04:37 AM

I am particularly happy after George’s complaints about the unfairness of the Yankees having to play an afternoon game during the week..

Me too! Would he rather have the Sox schedule? 10:00 pm EDT tonight and 4:00 pm EDT tomorrow. Tonight's game will get over around 1:00 am! I should be really productive at work tomorrow. The Yankees have today off and Friday off to rest pitchers. He should just shut his trap! Fat chance....

Steve, Jason, did you guys get in on the lottery for Monster Seats?

I'll be in Copley Square with my 3 year-old daughter on Saturday. I have to find a place to go to watch the game. I wish they'd do the 25' screen on the plaza again!

Ralph

#40 of 748 OFFLINE   Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron

Screenwriter

• 2,541 posts

Posted October 01 2003 - 04:48 AM

Go Expos! Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow