Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mac OS updates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:56 AM

Hello people.

I have a friend that does not have online access. As such, she has not been able to run the automatic Software update in Jaguar. (she has an eMac)
Is it possible for me to download each individual update directly from the Apple site? (ie. 10.2.2, 10.2.3, etc.)... I would then bring them over in a firewire drive.
If I get the latest Combo update, does it skip what's already installed?

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   David Lawson

David Lawson

Screenwriter

• 1,359 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 07:11 AM

It isn't small, but it can be done. Just check the Support area of the Apple site for the standalone updaters. Here's the 10.2.6 combo update:

http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=70174

I'm not sure if it's still advisable to run the upgrades incrementally, but I always have, thanks to Software Update. Supposedly, the combo update includes all of the fixes. Don't forget all of the individual application updates, security updates, etc.
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 07:31 AM

The combo updater is usually the safer way to go, vs. incremental. And even if I keep my system up-to-date, I try to wait for the latest combo instead of giving in to the temptation of clicking Update when software update comes up automatically. I've also been able to fix some anomalies in the system by reapplying the combo updater on an already up-to-date system.

Word is going around that Panther is set up to install updates without user intervention, which means that you are not even given a choice to accept or reject the update, and everything happens in the background. I hope the 10.2.8 fiasco gives them cause to rethink this strategy. In my case, fortunately, OS X 10.2.8 is running perfectly and I haven't had any reason to downgrade.

Don't forget to do a disk repair (Disk Utility/Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, or fsck) and to repair permissions BEFORE applying the system update, and to repair permissions again AFTER the update. Re-prebinding also recommended.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,454 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 10:25 AM

I've seen an update CD in stores that will get you from 10.2 to 10.2.5. It costs $20, though, and it would not get you all of the way to the latest point release.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 11:04 AM

She has an eMac? Just throw in an AirPort card and carry the machine into a Starbucks or another place with wireless access. Posted Image

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Gui A

Gui A

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
Don't forget to do a disk repair (Disk Utility/Disk First Aid, Disk Warrior, or fsck) and to repair permissions BEFORE applying the system update, and to repair permissions again AFTER the update. Re-prebinding also recommended.

I better run these on mine too. :b

Thanks for the help guys!