-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Portable Kenwood unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 12:23 AM

I am considering the Kenwood unit that has docking bases available. One for use in the car and one in the "home" or in my case in my office at work. Any kind of placement limitations with the docking station's indoor antenna that comes with the unit when used "indoors" I have S.W. facing windows in my office.
Pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable.
It's time for a movie !

#2 of 5 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted September 29 2003 - 05:04 AM

You should try to put the antenna in an outdoor location if possible, on a post if you have one.

#3 of 5 Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:03 AM

Not an option at work, just the window - will it work ?
kinda like, Can you hear me now ?

Steve
Pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable.
It's time for a movie !

#4 of 5 Jeffrey D Smith

Jeffrey D Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:36 AM

Hi Steve,

I currently have the Audiovox unit an it works just fine indoors with the antenna on the window sill.

However the signal strength only shows up as a 4/10 with no dropouts yet. If I put the unit outside it increases to 10/10. I don't know if there is any differences between the Kenwood antenna and the audiovox.

Check out siriusbackstage.com for more detailed answers.

#5 of 5 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted October 06 2003 - 05:34 PM

Here's my review.

I've had my unit for almost a day now, and I am very happy with it. The unit is smaller than I imagined, which is a plus. The screen is small too, but it's still readable (at the smallest font setting) from about 2 feet away, which is about how far you will be from it while driving. With the large font setting, it's readable from across a small room. The display is black, with a nice blue font, which I like. The antenna cord is about 30 feet, I'd imagine, which is planty long. I did have a few dropouts with the outdoor antenna, because I don't have a window in the room with my home theater receiver. When I connected the antenna that came with the car kit, the dropouts were minimized significantly. The unit switches streams fairly fast, which I had feared would not be the case. The sound quality is very good to my ears.