Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Portrait of Jennie

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,716 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 02:47 PM

Just thought I'd make a mention of this film in case anyone might know it. It's not on DVD. I saw it last night on PBS right after Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca. This was a charming little fantasy film from 1948 starring Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton and produced by the Selznick Studio where Cotton is a struggling artist and Jones is a young girl who is a source of inspiration for his art with an ultimate portrait of Jennie. This film had a great quality about it and it stayed with me long after. The fantasy element was handled so well. I won't give spoilers in case anyone's interested in seeing it. As described in the Leonard Maltin movie and video guide, this black and white film ended in a stunning Techicolor sequence that almost shocks and sent shivers through me. They just don't make movies like this anymore! Nelson

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 02:50 PM

Actually it is on DVD - I've got a copy. Posted Image It's an Anchor Bay release though I'm not sure if it's still in print or not.

I do agree that it's a good movie. Posted Image

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 03:19 PM

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 7 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,716 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 03:27 PM

Wow, thanks guys. I thought this was an obscure little film that was not known by too many. Nelson

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 03:52 AM

This is the most recent thread I could find on this..I had Portrait of Jennie on my shelf for a long time and for some reason never got around to watching it until last night. I just have to say what a delightful film..films like this are why I enjoy re-discovering the classics so much. The interesting use of color and the scenes that look like a painters canvas, really interesting. What a gem. I love finding films that at the end have me just stare at the screen and think for a while even after the movie has stopped. Very few these days have me do that...thank goodness I have so many classics to still watch and more I'm sure that will be released in the future. Can anyone recommend anything else like this, fantasy in nature from the 30's through 50's?

#6 of 7 ONLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,800 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 04:13 AM

If you've never seen THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, I'd suggest that one to you as it's a wonderful fantasy romance in a similar vein to JENNIE.
"Go ahead...make my day."
Read my new blog at www.bigscreenclassics.com

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 02 2005 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Peter, I actually have that one and agree it has that same feel. Great flick...Gene Tierney doesn't hurt either..:wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users