Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Leonard Maltin 4 stars for recent movies

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 of 48 OFFLINE   Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 03:13 AM

Maltin is perceived to have an affiinity for older movies rather than more modern ones. The number of films he has awarded in the last 10 years (in his movie guide) or so seem to bear testament to this...the ones I know of are Schindler's List, Little Women, and Cider House Rules. Any others he has given 4 stars to? Thanks! Joe

#2 of 48 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 04:52 AM

Talk to Her received four stars. Can't think of any others offhand.

Some of Maltin's ratings left me scratching my head: three and a half stars for that shameless exercise in pandering, i am sam? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 of 48 OFFLINE   Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 05:51 AM

You have to remember that Maltin has a team of editors working on his book; not every rating is neccesarily his. One thing that I like about his book is that the four star rating is rarely given out. They are very discriminating in their tastes. Roger Ebert, on the other hand, gives out four star ratings like they were going out of style and that hurts his credibility in my book. Also, Maltin's team is not afraid to slay some of the sacred cows (although I don't agree with his two star rating of "Taxi Driver", nor his two-and-a-half for "Minority Report" and "Gosford Park"). They realize that just because a movie is of the kind critics SHOULD like doesn't make it great.
If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're gay, they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively.

My DVD's

#4 of 48 OFFLINE   Anthony_D

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 08:40 AM

anyone who rates "Waterworld" higher than "Usual Suspects" is a complete and utter moron...nuff said about Maltin.
He's dead now. He was a thief...and a terrorist. But on the other hand, he had a tremendous singing voice.

#5 of 48 OFFLINE   Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 09:17 AM

No, he's not a moron. As I said, Maltin and his team aren't afraid to take on the sacred cows (incidentally, I haven't yet seen either of those films). Remember, no film is intrinsically good, so try to be more tolerant of people with different tastes than your own.
If celebrities didn't want people pawing through their garbage and saying they're gay, they shouldn't have tried to express themselves creatively.

My DVD's

#6 of 48 OFFLINE   Bill J

Bill J

Producer

• 3,970 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 09:18 AM

Ebert also liked Waterworld more than The Usual Suspects. Does that make him a moron?

#7 of 48 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 09:37 AM

If only Pauline Kael were still alive.... God I miss that woman! Posted Image
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#8 of 48 OFFLINE   Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 09:50 AM

^^^Now THERE was a woman who wasn't afraid to take on sacred cows!

My DVD's

#9 of 48 OFFLINE   Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 09:53 AM

Blade Runner: Posted Image 1/2 Posted Image

Cheers,

Vincent

#10 of 48 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 10:00 AM

One problem I have with Maltin's film guide is that the short reviews do not have the contributors initials. In a book that has 15,000 films rated and numerous reviewers, it would help if we could at least know who was rating the film, I don't think that adding 2 or 3 letters to the end of each review is all that difficult.

#11 of 48 OFFLINE   Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 11:35 AM

Vincent, you'd be surprised at how many bad reviews of "Blade Runner" are out there. It's a cult classic nowadays, but it's hardly universally loved.

My DVD's

#12 of 48 OFFLINE   Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 11:39 AM

[quote] Vincent, you'd be surprised at how many bad reviews of "Blade Runner" are out there. It's a cult classic nowadays, but it's hardly universally loved. [quote]

Indeed. I still find the film unbearably boring (both theatrical and director's cuts). I find my views on films correlate more closely with Maltin's reviewers than with pretty much anyone else's (even if his 4 stars for Cider House Rules and Little Women were, in my opinion, dramatically over-rated).

#13 of 48 OFFLINE   Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted September 28 2003 - 12:52 PM

FYI, although the book doesn't credit individual reviews (and I agree it should), the Taxi Driver review (which in my experience has gotten more heat than any other in the book) is indeed Maltin's.

#14 of 48 OFFLINE   CraigK

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:11 AM

Maltin is a fool and his show is wretched. Ebert is also bad at times (***1/2 for THE RUNDOWN, *** for GODFATHER 2!!??) Pauline Kael is as well...she gave the first STAR WARS a terrible review.

#15 of 48 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:21 AM

So I’m guessing that three stars you found too low for Godfather2? What was the problem with his view of The Rundown? You must have thought it a very bad movie, because IIRC Ebert really liked it.
¡Time is not my master!

#16 of 48 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 8,037 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:28 AM

I hate it when reviewers/critics do their job and review a film based on their tastes and experience. CONFORM! CONFORM! Why does this always come up? There should be no sacred cows. Judging a critic on one film, be it Star Wars, Scarface, or Snow Dogs is silly. Not that Maltin is a critic, but... Take care, Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#17 of 48 OFFLINE   CraigK

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:48 AM

Okay, THE RUNDOWN is not a BAD film, but based on his rating system, he says its better than THE GODFATHER 2...that speaks volumes if you ask me. How many other people out there think that GODFATHER 2 deserves to be rated lower. Okay....let's look at another idiot critic FOR EXAMPLE: Rex Reed's Ten Worst Films of 2001 1. Vanilla Sky 2. Mulholland Drive 3. Town & Country 4. Moulin Rouge! 5. Shallow Hal 6. Swordfish 7. Pearl Harbor 8. Memento 9. The Mexican 10. Snatch 6-7 of those films IN NO WAY deserve to be on a worst list, C'MON!

#18 of 48 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:00 AM

Well Craig, I never look very closely at ½ point differences, especially as the reviews are so far apart. My only problem with Ebert is that he is such a big fan of films overall, that I think he is a bit too generous with his praises.

If it is worth anything (and it is not), I rate ‘Godfather2’ at a full four stars. But, that is not a rating on the day, it is a rating several years later. Normally if a critic is within one star of me, I think we are in accord. If not, (assuming it is a critic I respect) I might try to understand what he saw that I missed—sometimes I can never figure it out, and I don’t try real hard in most cases.

Rex Reed is not a critic whose value system matches mine—so I just ignore him.

But he did get it right with Pearl Harbor. Posted Image
¡Time is not my master!

#19 of 48 OFFLINE   CraigK

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:27 AM

Lew...you are right. Ebert has such an infectious love of cinema its hard to be TRULY overly critical of him. Buuuuut...you are also right...he is far too generous (ie) TOMB RAIDER 1 and 2 SPEED 1 and 2 COP AND A HALF WILD THINGS ANACONDA GIGLI FAST AND THE FURIOUS 1 and 2 POINT BREAK HOME ALONE 3 CRITTERS Gosh...I could go on forever!

#20 of 48 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,639 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:44 AM

That Rex Reed list is ridiculous. Three of those films (Mulholland Drive, Moulin Rouge, Memento) made it onto most people's BEST Ten list.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what was on his Top Ten for 2001??
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users