What's new

The Bass Archives (1 Viewer)

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Ah, as soon as anyone gets a big subwoofer, we need crazy demo material for it, no? :)

Sharing waterfall charts of bass-intensive clips was recently on go in a thread here, but IMHO, a simple "thread" gets easily forgotten...

For now, the best collection of charts is the one in SVS's FAQ. But I think that Tom is too busy building/designing our precious subwoofers to chart the newest movies... :)

Anyways, I've mashed together a simple web page that would archive such plots for us bass fanaticts... So, here it is:

The Bass Archives

I've done some plots, if anyone else would like to post theirs here, just send me an email...

Well, it was a crazy quick idea... Let's see if it will take off! :)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Cool list. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Now I know what bass info is in that SVS animation! Not like my comp speakers could reproduce anything

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rudi and a great idea. I just put it under favorites and maybe Ming-L will lend some of his expertise also?

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the graphs Rudi B!

The only title I have in my posssion is TTT. I thought I would post my C-weighted fast peaks for three of the scenes listed and give you a little backgound on my HT.

I have a Sony 4ES receiver and a SVS Ultra with a Samson Amp. The distance of the Rat shack from the corner loaded Ultra is 15 feet. These measurements were taken at full reference which is -21.5 db on the 4ES and the Ultra calibrated at an uncorrected average of 82-83 db per Avia. In other words the Ultra is calibrated as close to an honest flat as I understand flat calibration to be. My room dimension is about 7,500 cubic feet (A finished basement HT) Not audio related but for visual enjoyment I have a Sony 10 HT throwing a 7' wide image.

I also used the graphs to determine what frequecy was visually responsible for my SPL peak and then I applied the Rat Shack correction factors. I have a 1/12 octave graph of my room from 15 to 94 hz so I can pinpoint pretty well what is what so to speak.

Also note that before I test 'most' movie scenes at reference, I play the scene at 3db below reference to determine if the amp is clipping. If it's not clipping I proceed to reference. Usually on movies like TTT the amp will clip at full reference but if it's not clipping at 3db below reference I assume that any clipping during reference is minimal. The Samson manual indicates that a little clip of the light is okay.

Explosion: 112.5 uncorrected I add 2.5 to get a correction of 115db. The Samson clip light flickered a few times. This is fairly long and loud scene but the last heavy piece of wall falling measured the loudest.

The gates: 111.5 uncorrected. I add 2.5 to get a correction of 114db. I was surprised to see that the amp light didn't show clip.

Swamp dragon: 109.5 uncorrected. For this scene I think I can safely add 4 db to end up with 113.5 db. The amp light clipped during the wing flap. The very first flap of the dragons wings was the loudest.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Rudi nice job and great idea.

If I could offer some constructive criticism it would be to incorperate better time information in the graphs and/or descriptions like MingL does.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Rudi,

Yeah, I love to see what I'm hearing in these graphs. Thanks for posting them.

I like that you've posted both movies and music. Some people have the misconception that music does not contain any frequencies below 30Hz or so, which is obviously not true. I'd love to see more when you have the time to post them. A couple of music suggestions, if I may, and if you have them. "I Love You" (track 2) from Sarah McLachlan's album, Surfacing. Also from Harry Connick, Jr.'s album, She, there's a track called "Joe Slam and the Spaceship" that definitely goes infrasonic during the first minute. Would love to see a graph of this one. Also, there's an organ CD that's been circulating on a couple of the forums that would be cool to see as well. I could probably get you a copy for analysis, if interested/willing. E-mail or PM me.

I also agree with Lee that the notes about timing/dialog, etc. do help to orient yourself in the scene.

Thanks!

JKS

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Aaaah, free time...

Okay, added these audio plots:

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step - The Package
Blue Man Group - Audio - TV Song, Endless Column
Massive Attack - Mezzanine - Angel
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing - I Love You

My "interesting" pick here would be "The Package". The bass tune is difficult to reproduce for small sub/sat setups with the sub crossover around 80Hz... Check it out, you'll see what I mean :) And the drum kicks... Oh my.

Lee, Jeremy:

I'd love to add time labels to graphs... You guys care to send me a few tons of free time to me? :)

I'll try to re-check THX/Dolby Digital trailers during the weekend.

And if I ain't mistaken, a lot of people would like to see Daredevil plots. Which scenes, timings, please?

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Holy shit...

Check this one out:

Renholder - Now I Know

My SVS PB-2+ makes a mayhem out of this track... Door vibrates like crazy, ports are making a hurricane of wind... Awesome. Plain awesome.

I think that this might be lowest/loudest subsonic bass beat in "pop/rock" songs... ever. NIN's former bass player, makes sense.

:)

terence

Supporting Actor
Hi Rudi,

Great job! :emoji_thumbsup: Now here is a suggestion

Check out what Perry Sun (Widescreen) had to say.

Soundtrack:

The Dolby® Digital 5.1 audio presentation is excellent, with outstanding fidelity and production values. This is a very busy and aggressive soundtrack by nature, with prominent split surround engagement throughout and a wholly immersive listening space. Also a standout is the dramatically wide dynamic range. For those who are seeking some really good examples to test their subwoofers, this soundtrack would be an excellent choice. The low-end is clean, very deep in extension, and sometimes downright powerful and system-challenging with extension below 25 Hz, including the surrounds. The myriad of sound effects are fully distributed throughout the spatial soundstage. Atmospheric effects fully surround you, often with substantial visceral impact and remarkable directionality. Overall volume level is quite substantial, yet should not be overpowering. The dialogue is slightly forward-sounding, but otherwise sounds remarkably natural. This is a sound mix that fully uses the soundfield, along with frequency and dynamic range to its advantage. (Perry Sun)

This Disc Contains The Following WSR-Rated Superb Qualities:

Reference Quality

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Tee, I actually watched Underworld a week ago. Probably my version was a bit weird (don't ask me where I got it ;)), but the DD track wasn't nothing special in the bass department.

I'll wait for the R2 DVD in our local video rental shop. But, check post #9 in this thread, that one rocks totally!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well wait to you get it on DVD, man my PB2+ made it's money tonight. That is a damn loud soundtrack all around.

terence

Supporting Actor
Well wait to you get it on DVD, man my PB2+ made it's money tonight. That is a damn loud soundtrack all around.
I popped Underworld in for the first 3 chapters and i know i'm in for a treat. The soundtrack is recorded loud, the wife wanted to watch Out Of Time instead! :angry: Good movie, but i was in the mood for a kick ass movie last night. Well i will be watching it tonight fo-sho!:D

JasenJ

Agent
Nifty idea.

Are the plots from microphones, line level inputs, or in the case of CDs, direct sampling of the digital file?

I suspect I could get a pretty decent plot by using the LFE line out on my receiver into my computer and recording the signal. I don't know of a way to capture/rip DVD audio directly to .wav files as can be done pretty easily with CDs.

I pulled down the software and FINALLY seem to have figured out how to use it. Any chance of posting some sort of "standard" config file to your site? And maybe a brief tutorial?

- Jasen.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
I pulled down the software and FINALLY seem to have figured out how to use it. Any chance of posting some sort of "standard" config file to your site? And maybe a brief tutorial?
Hm, I ain't sure if configuration files can be saved, but I remember that I loaded that purty color scheme somewhere... Otherwise, 2-100Hz plots, that would be pretty much all the configuration...

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Rudi - think "Spectrum Lab Set-Up For Dummies" (as in me) and you'll be on the right track. :b

I'd love a quick and dirty set up tutorial (don't assume anything and don't skip steps), if you have the time. :emoji_thumbsup:

I haven't downloaded it yet myself, but I will (and send you waterfall charts in return) if you show us the set-up shortcuts. I've been too busy learning the in's and out's of TrueRTA myself to focus on Spectrum Lab.

Thanks (I hope)!!

Ed

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded the software over Christmas and thus far have not been succesful at getting it to read a CD.

Once I load a CD in my computer and have Spectrum lab running, can you tell me the steps I need to take to take to get a reading? I play the CD but nothing happens :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks