What's new

Star Trek: The 5 Year Mission - Alternate Cover Art (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It's been almost two years since I made those custom covers for the original Star Trek. I don't think those original covers I did are on par with my covers for the latter series, so I thought I might re-visit them.

So I started thinking... 8 cases was a lot for a show with just 3 seasons, and although I could never do full season box sets, I may be able to get it down to 5, to coincide with the Enterprise's 5 year mission. Who's to say that the original voyages took place in real time? The stardate thing hadn't been worked out yet and at least one of the episodes took place over a matter of months (The Paradise Syndrome). I know the animated series might have been years 4 and 5, but they have been denied as canon and please don't consult your copy of The Star Trek Cronology!

So, how do I fit 40 dvds into 5 cases? Here's the deal...
five 7 disc cases with an Add-A-Page from Sleeve City added to each case. Then I end up with five eight disc cases which equals 40 ST DVDs!

I know that I'll probably be the only one crazy enough to go through the hassle, but I would appreciate your opinions anyway. Especially since many of you were so helpful when I was designing the original versions.

So here was my first attempt at a spine...

Bigger View

Then I got to lookin' at this pic I had...

I have no idea who the artist is (So I don't know who's gonna come at me with a lawsuit) but I wanted to try something different for the spine. So I expanded the picture and came up with this...

Bigger Version

I realize it is quite a departure from the others. No big ship shot, no combadge numbers and no words saying Star Trek! But looking at the spine, I doubt anyone would mistake it for anything else. Obviously the front covers would still say STAR TREK.

This third version is my weak attempt to addrees some og the missing elements...

Bigger Version

I don't think its working.

The fronts would look something like this...

Volume One...

Bigger Version

Volume Three...

Bigger Version

Or have the year designation near the bottom like this...

Bigger Version

Even though I would probably just be making these for myself, I sure would like to hear your opinions, of which versions and variations you would prefer if you were gonna be a nut like me and go to the trouble!

Ric

Marc Carra

Supporting Actor
Ric!!!! The first one with the Enterprise is mind blowing! You absolutely must do this one. I currently have your older ST:TOS covers printed out but these new ones are even better. Two thumbs (and two big toes) up!

Marc.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The 1st one looks the best Ric.

If I owned every DVD of TOS then I'd go for this project in a second. But I don't own every one because I found some episodes to be just terrible & I never cared to own them. Hence I'll be keeping them in the original single keepcases.

I hope this new project doesn't impact on the "Voyager" covers too much. I'm looking forward to the release of those sets.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I have no idea who the artist is (So I don't know who's gonna come at me with a lawsuit)
The artist is Matthew Joseph Peak. You can see his signature to the left of the Enterprise's nacelle, just above the words "it's five year mission".

You can see more of his artwork here.

Neil

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Wow. That guys a great artist!

Ric, the first is the better one anyway for DVDs. Awesome all the way around. Great job!

(I still don't understand why someone hasn't snapped up this guy to do graphic artist work!)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I can see I didn't even have the whole picture to work with...

I was missing the top portion. This still may grace one of the covers of the new set. It's an absolutely beautiful picture. Anyone have the real thing?

Neil, As soon as you mentioned his name, I knew he sounded familiar. His father, Bob Peak, has done a bunch of movie posters including many for Star Trek. At first I thought it might be his, but he passed away over a decade ago and even though I couldn't make out the sig, I knew it wasn't BP's. I'm glad the talent rubbed off onto the next generation!

Glad you all like the shot of the Enterprise, I just have to decide which way to go for the text on the fronts, and I can get to work.

Voyager who?

Ric

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Ric,

While I do think the art is nice on the 2nd one the 1st is the BEST choice. It fits perfectly with the theme of the other sets.

One question though. How with this be impacted by the supposed release of the Original Series on DVD (in box sets) sometime in 2005??

Greg

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
How will this be impacted by the supposed release of the Original Series on DVD (in box sets) sometime in 2005??
Well, That "supposed release" is just a rumor as far as I know. Also, it should not impact myself or others who have already bought the whole collection at all. At least I don't forsee buying the whole thing again.

I'm going on vacation later this week, and bringing my computer in for various upgrades while I'm gone. So it will take some time for me to get back up to speed on this.

I imagine I'll be doing Voyager, and it may even be my first nogginless set. Probably just scenic ship shots.

Ric

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Nice work, Ric! One minor correction, though: please remove the apostrophe from "It's five year mission". Possessive pronouns (his, hers, its, ours, theirs) do not use an apostrophe.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Beautiful work, Ric. :emoji_thumbsup: Joe's suggestion was the only one I could come up with (ordinarily, I'd recommend correcting that nasty split infinitive, "to boldy go," but of course Trek itself didn't correct that until Zephram Cochran's speech in the premiere episode of Enterprise -- or at least that was the first occasion of its correction I've noticed :D).

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Ric,

The first one with the Enterprise ROCKS! I would use them in a heartbeat! I am just starting my TOS collection, but that shot of the spines with the Enterprise is great. I hope you do them.

Great work! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Ric.. your work is fantastic and amazing...

but I have one request that may seem a bit odd..

have you considered doing something for the ANIMATED series???

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Mushrooms? Yikes!

As far as The Animated Series, no plans, at least until they are officially released. BTW, I bid on the LD Box Set on Ebay recently, but it ended up going for more than a hundred bucks!

Ric

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Damn Ric. Once again you've blown my mind. :D

I love all the options, but I prefer the one with good ol' 1701 (no bloody A...) ;) gracing the covers. VERY VERY nice. :D

That Peak artwork sure is nice though!

ZackR

Supporting Actor
As far as The Animated Series, no plans, at least until they are officially released. BTW, I bid on the LD Box Set on Ebay recently, but it ended up going for more than a hundred bucks!
Yes, it is expensive, but worth getting your hands on if you are a fan of the show. I got it a while back and just had it transfered to DVD by a shop here in town. The laserdisc set looks great in my opinion. I had some VHS tapes (taped from TV) when I was really young and it is great to see the way they look here. I hope they get a DVD release eventually.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well whenever these are ready I am in for sure!!

Perhaps we can do a bulk order for the add a sleeves since we only need 5 each and the minimum order is 10.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks