-

Photo

Okay...let's talk GPU for the car

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted September 27 2003 - 04:26 AM

Had the privilidge of renting a Hertz car in
California with a Neverlost GPU unit.

The thing was pretty damn cool, though it had
a tendancy not to take you on the most logical
route.

I was impressed with the unit so much that I
decided I wanted to buy one. The closest thing
to the Neverlost system is the Magellan
750NavPlus
found here:

http://www.magellang....asp?PRODID=915

The problem? Cost is about $1600.

Was also looking at the Garmin Street Pilot
which can be found here:

http://www.circuitci....k_10&oid=55682

The problem? Still a little pricey.

The problem is, I want the color screen, large
viewfinder and voice prompting. With all those
features I suppose I am going to pay a hefty price.

Anyone know of an excellent GPS unit similar to
the above models but a little less expensive, or,
should I just wait another year for the prices on
these things to come down?

Hopefully I'll find some good advice here.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   NicholasL

NicholasL

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted September 27 2003 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, I'm afraid any halfway decent GPU (I have known them as GPS) systems are gonna cost upwards of the thousands. I have an Alpine DVD GPS system, which in itself costs about $2000 -- this was 2 years ago though. I would highly suggest you stay away from CD GPS systems, as they take FOREVER and a day to reload a different route if you stray from it's current route (unexpected road blocks or for whatever reason). Then when you factor in the cost of a screen, you're looking at another thousand or two.

In my opinion though, they are an awesome investment if you take road trips (as most units have the entire US and Canada loaded onto them), drive around to wherever the spirit takes you alot, or simply want the peace of mind knowing that wherever you go to, you can always rest assured that you can get home easily, safely, and mindlessly...after all, almost all these GPS units talk to you "next left, or freeway onramp in a quarter mile." And it's usually in a nice attractive female voice too.

Plus, don't forget that these CD/DVD navigation units can be loaded with a different country disc if you ever decided to take your car abroad.

The cost for these things probably will (if not have been slightly) going down, since many mid-level cars (like the Accord) are now offering GPS units as packaged options.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   John_MackieBass

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:45 AM

my boss won a garmin street pilot...and I must say ITS AWESOME! He uses it for bicycling when he goes on LOOONG treks...

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Aaron H

Aaron H

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted October 17 2003 - 01:15 AM

Check out the new Garmin 2610. Color, touchscreen, all te cool stuff. And the best part is that it can be had for around $800. I'm definitely buying one when teh new truck arrives.

Aaron