What's new

***Official THE RUNDOWN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
The Rundown (formerly Helldorado / Welcome to the Jungle)

View The Trailer Here

While many viewed the new trailer to Robert Rodriguez's "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" before "Bad Boys II" last night, select audiences also were able to view the new trailer to Peter Berg's "The Rundown", which held my attention from start to finish.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson leads in the role of professional bounty hunter who tracks down a man (Seann William Scott) in an area of the Amazon known as "Helldorado" (The title of this project during production).

Along the way Rosario Dawson, Christopher Walken and even Arnold Schwarzenegger get thrown into the mix. Gold hunting, monkey fighting and the most painful looking fall-down-a-steep-hill ensue.

A stand out scene in the trailer appears when Ernie Reyes Jr. (Mr. Surf Ninjas / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II himself) lays the smackdown on The Rock.

While Yahoo Movies does offer the trailer to be viewed online, I recommend that you watch it first on the big screen. It offers a very different experience.

Thankfully, the cast looks to be much more comfortable and suited for their roles than in "The Scorpion King", and the director looks to be following a much better script than "Very Bad Things". Looking forward to this one.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer tonight before Bad Boys II and it actually didn't look that bad at all and the trailer had a ton of great scenes. They could have cut a minute and a half out of that trailer though. I have a feeling that they gave away nearly every action piece and comedy bit in the movie.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Saw the Great One's latest movie, The Rundown, at a promo screening last night here in Toronto, and much like his previous effort The Scorpion King, it's definately not the train-wreck I had anticipated. In fact, The Rundown (formerly known as Helldorado) is an entirely serviceable and sturdy, 'tho wholly unoriginal, action-adventure buddy-flick which I'm sure will please the millions...and millions of fans of the Brahma Bull. Plot concerns The Rock, as a "retrieval expert", venturing to South America with the intention of returning to Lalaland with the son (Stifler, from the Pie series) of an underworld figure to whom the People's Champion owes a significant debt. Much running, jumping, shooting, chasing, fist and foot swapping, bull-whipping, treasure-hunting, and peasant-liberating ensues. Pic has the heavily-processed look and rat-tat-tat editing style so prevalent in today's action movies, which surely befits a star of The Rock's ability, and that's intended by me as no slam; it's a wise choice by director Peter Berg (he played the daredevil doc on Chicago Hope, and previously directed Very Bad Things). The Rock demonstrates great screen-presence, and appears more sure-footed here than in his previous lead outing, which I think in this sort of picture has greater bearing on the proceedings than do acting chops. Special note must be made of the contribution of Christopher Walken, playing the villain, natch, who really anchors the picture. I've really no idea why a thesp of his talent is slumming in stuff in like this, so I'll just suppose that, as with Krusty The Klown, the producers drove a dump-truck full of money up to his house. Nevertheless, Walken is at the top of his game here, 'tho it might be convincingly argued that his performance consists mainly of doing an impression of the various actors and comedians who've reaped considerable mileage in recent years out of doing Walken impressions themselves. Light applause greeted the credit roll following the pic's predictable resolution, but then, we all saw it for free. For the WWE fans among us, and I'm one if you couldn't tell (duh!!), the crowd also clapped and cheered when the Great One layed the Rock-Bottom on a baddie in the opening sequence. No hand-licking Smackdown, however, and no People's Eye-Brow, neither. Lastly, there's a really brief cameo by a well-known fellow which effectively serves as a passing-of-the-torch in both appearance and dialogue (skip the IMDB listing if you prefer to be surprised).
In sum, I'm giving The Rundown a rating of **/****, a guarded :emoji_thumbsup: . If you're a fan of The Rock, you'll surely dig this improvement on his prior lead effort; others will find an action pic which breaks no new ground.
Thanks for readin' this far, and cheers!

DS.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
He's back in the theatre and we should be happy about this?

Ive seen previews of The Rundown and I thought it looked rediculous.
People falling hundreds of feet without Broken bones, trucks fallikng from trees above them and them conveniently dodging out of the way.
Its films like this that make me Hate Hollywood.

Sad that Peter Berg has had to resort to this.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Quote:

Ive seen previews of The Rundown and I thought it looked rediculous.
People falling hundreds of feet without Broken bones, trucks fallikng from trees above them and them conveniently dodging out of the way.

------------------------------------------------------------

Mikel,

And the rest of today's action pictures are somehow less rediculous(sic.)?
Cheers.

DS.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Dave,

I saw this movie where a guy put gun powder in his body and lit it on fire... that was believable! And that movie where the guy wouldn't die, and he fell 30 feet and caught himself by his fingertips. Ooh, and what about the one where a guy shot from his hip and hit 5 opponents before they could draw.

Realism, in action movies, has always been optional. I saw the trailers for this film, thought it looked entertaining, and I might rent it when it comes out on DVD for a weekend lark. Probably not cinema-friendly, for me, but it'll be fun.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am all for a mindless action movie every once in a while but I am still having a hard time believing that anyone would call The Rock "The great one".

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I am all for a mindless action movie every once in a while but I am still having a hard time believing that anyone would call The Rock "The great one".
Mikel,

The Rock calls himself "The Great One" when in character on the WWE. I beleive that is why Dave referred to him as such.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
I beleive that is why Dave referred to him as such.
Ryan,

You're absolutely correct, sir! He is often referred to as "The Great One" where the WWE is concerned, although
I'm sure The Rock intends no offense to either Wayne Gretzky or Jackie Gleason. Thanks for the clarification. Cheers.

DS.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I'm a fan of both WWE and The Rock and will be there opening day.

Pic has the heavily-processed look and rat-tat-tat editing style so prevalent in today's action movies
This is what bothers me of action films lately. As with Once Upon A Time In Mexico, I could hardly tell what the hell was going on.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I have hope for The Rundown. I was shocked at how stiff and wooden he was in his last movie, as he had never been the least bit stiff or wooden playing a cartoonish hero and villain in wrestling, so I was wondering what had seemingly zapped all of his charisma when he was in front of the camera filming Scorpion King.

Rock has the charisma to make it in Hollywood, and it's not the Hulk Hogan "will only work in wrestling" type of charisma either. He's got genuine, vialble charm and talent that if used properly could make him as big as Ahnuld was in his heyday. Hopefully the combination of working with Walken and Berg will get him out of his shell a little bit.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

He has a nice singing voice, too. :D I hope he's successful; I'm rootin' for him and I'm not even a wrestling fan. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
More power to The Rock. He's extrememly charismatic and a lot of fun to watch. I'll be there opening day and I'm also looking forward to him hosting the season premier of SNL. His first appearance was classic.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Yeah he has about as much carisma as Ving Diesel.

I have no doubt that this movie will make millions because this type of dumbed down, loud Hollywood extravaganza for the crowd who drives Big Trucks, will deliver Bigtime.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I have no doubt that this movie will make millions because this type of dumbed down, loud Hollywood extravaganza for the crowd who drives Big Trucks, will deliver Bigtime.
Yeah, now that's constructive! You tell em, Johnny! You tell the world!

Geez.

If the "action film" vein, this film doesn't look too bad at all. Probably get some of my "action lovin" friends together, maybe give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks