Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ongoing Coupling (USA) thread (show cancelled)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#21 of 94 Steve_AS

Steve_AS

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 04:09 AM

Quote:
Except for Rena Sofer I didn't recognise anyone. With Friends I had seen almost all the cast on different sitcoms so new they had talent.

The blond was a character on HBO's "Mind of the Married Man', and had a British accent (and was *much* better, acting-wise). Sounded like she was doing a poor imitation of an American accent on Coupling...is she in fact a Brit?

#22 of 94 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 04:55 AM

Yes, Sonya Walger was born in London, England.

#23 of 94 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 05:17 AM

So...this begs the question:

Who would you cast for the 6 main characters (US version):

Steve
Patrick
Jeff

Jane
Susan
Sally

(fixed my typo of Susan's name)
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#24 of 94 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 05:24 AM

A quick stab, I'll need to think about this some more:

Steve - Neil Patrick Harris
Patrick - Nestor Carbonell (different, but it could work)
Jeff - Nicholas Brendon

Jane - Emma Caulfield (definitely!)
Susan - Rena Sofer
Sally - Monica Keena (maybe a bit young), Amy Pietz

#25 of 94 AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:20 AM

Minus the fact that the show is miscast and the story is to rushed. They need to give the actors more leeway into developing there version of the characters rather than trying to make a carbon copy of there British counterparts.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#26 of 94 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:39 AM

It's funny you mention Nick and Emma from Buffy. I was thinking the same thing.

#27 of 94 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:49 AM

I think you could re-use the cast of Buffy:

Steve - Nicholas Brendan
Jeff - Danny Strong
Patrick - James Marster

Susan - Emma Caulfield
Sally - Alyson Hannigan
Jane - Charisma Carpenter

#28 of 94 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:51 AM

Patrick,

Not in a million years could Emma be Susan or Sally instead of Jane. Posted Image

#29 of 94 Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 06:58 AM

I've never seen the British series, so my feelings about the NBC version aren't colored by any comparisons, but that show was awful! I'll keep W&G and pass on the rest of NBC's "must-not-see-Thursday".

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#30 of 94 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 07:17 AM

I didnt watch for the negative reasons listed here.
The show was put on to capitalize on not only the British version's popularity because also because Friends was going off and they wanted something simular and for shock value more racy.
Couldnt they have just put on the British version or do they think Americans would turn their noses up?
True the British Coupling was itself copying Friends to some extent but obviously it had enough going for it to succeed on its on creativity.

So what we have is a copy of a show about Friends and then copied again for Americans.

#31 of 94 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 07:22 AM

Hey, I'm working that Xander/Anya angle in my casting!

#32 of 94 Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Couldnt they have just put on the British version or do they think Americans would turn their noses up?
True the British Coupling was itself copying Friends to some extent but obviously it had enough going for it to succeed on its on creativity.

So what we have is a copy of a show about Friends and then copied again for Americans.

Thankfully not everyone thinks like you and we got 'All in the Family' and 'Sanford and Son'.

#33 of 94 Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Thankfully not everyone thinks like you and we got 'All in the Family' and 'Sanford and Son'.

Well the big question is what did they do to translate those shows for an American audience? There are only a few things in Coupling that people might not understand, but you can usually pick it up based on the context. It's also one thing to bring over the concept of the show, but to do it almost line for line is stupid.

Times have changed also, between my local PBS station and BBC America I've seen all the Couplings multiple times. Of course I think the major reason they don't just pick up the British show is that there aren't enough episodes and American networks have to run the shows into the ground until they just aren't funny anymore. I think there's been 22 episodes of Coupling so far spread over 3 season (or series as the British call them), and apparently they're working on a fourth.

#34 of 94 Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 10:37 AM

The first episode of Coupling I ever saw was ‘Inferno’ on the local PBS station; I had never heard of the show before. At certain points during that half hour episode, I could not breathe because I was laughing so hard.

The first episode shown on NBC last night has “canceled after three episodes” written all over it.

There is no way that NBC will ever be able to match the “life” of the British version.

#35 of 94 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:03 AM

Quote:

I am not saying there are not remakes that are successful, this tends to wreak of desperation.

Remember when it used to be Must see TV on Thursdays? Now they just churn out product that will be successful no matter what because its sandwiched in between two hits.

#36 of 94 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 26 2003 - 11:55 AM

Hate the laugh track, too.
END QUOTE

Yes, I agree. At one point the "audience" laughed because a telephone was ringing! wtf? Is this show aimed at the Amish?
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#37 of 94 Ryan_C

Ryan_C

Second Unit

• 375 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:19 PM

I echo the earlier sentiments. The amount of suck this pilot ep has was huge. I only found the British version a few months ago, but I really like it, better than Friends. I haven't seen the pilot ep of the BBC Coupling, but the American Coupling is a pale comparison of the BBC's.
I will give it another chance or two, but I am doubtful.
Youth would be an ideal state if it came much later in life.

#38 of 94 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 01:43 PM

It tanked in the overnight ratings, according to the Futon Critic. I think NBC bought it for a full 22 episodes instead of the usual 13.

#39 of 94 MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 08:13 PM

I have never seen the British original, but sat down this evening to watch the recording of NBCs "Coupling"... OH MY GOD, what a horrible, horrible "comedy". I stopped watching and deleted it from the Tivo after about 10 minutes, I just could not stand the awful acting, the trite conversation and the all-too familiar set-pieces and situations. The bit about not accepting the break-up was taken directly from a Seinfeld-episode!

I have low standards for sitcoms, having liked "My big fat greek life" and even tolerated "The Michael Richards Show", but this... horrible.

I'll give it another shot next week to see if I can find something of interest in the show then, otherwise it's bye-bye.
/Mike

#40 of 94 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 08:37 PM

Here's what Alessandra Stanley of the New York Times had to say. I basically agree with her.
My Collection

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow