Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Is There Any Word On Takeshi Kitano's Film DVD Release Date?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 John Sturge

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 04:28 AM

My theater doesn't carry it now. So, I was wondering if anyone knew if the dvd was coming out, the date, and possibly the features. Posted Image

Edit: S*** I forgot the movie title, the movie is "Brother"

[Edited last by John Sturge on August 24, 2001 at 11:30 AM]

#2 of 11 Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 08:59 AM

There's a region 3 (uncut) version that was released on dvd this week (korean dvd company i believe).. chk it out at http://www.pokerindustries.com

Who knows if a region 1 version will be available any time soon....theres a good chance it will be "cut" too, as many of the US theatrical prints have the violence toned down as well.

#3 of 11 Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 09:03 AM

Hey, i just realized youre the author of such controversial threads as " what's so good about SALO" .....

I have no opinion on SALO but i think you're my hero for speaking so frankly on the subject. I would've posted this on that thread but you got the 'bozak' .

flame on!

#4 of 11 John Sturge

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the compliments, I am striving to figure out why it was closed...But anyway, scenes were cut out? I remember watching the movie at Evanston Cine`Arts and I was treated to the full sight of a man performing harakiri. What still eats away at me is the storm of bad reviews for the move. Hell, I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. (I must be a director's whore Posted Image )

#5 of 11 Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 09:56 AM

The film was digitally altered to erase what was felt to be excessive gore on several occasions. For example, the scene you mentioned with the guy committing seppuku, you actually see some intestines hanging out in the uncut version. Other scenes remove brains from walls after gunshots, etc. This was done presumably to avoid the kiss of death NC-17 rating.
Wellesnet: The Orson Welles Web Resource

#6 of 11 Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 02:13 PM

As far as reviews of Brother go, I can't speak for film critics, but I thought it was the weakest of Kitano's films that I've seen (all but one). Regarding the film being cut, the studio removed what was considered excessive gore from several scenes, including the seppuku scene you mentioned. In the uncut version, you can see some of the guy's intestines hanging out as they drag him away. Otherwise, they made the results of the various gunshots look less gory. This was done to presumably fend off the kiss of death NC-17. After watching the Japanese DVD, I was surprised when I saw it at the theater and seeing how they toned it down.

#7 of 11 John Sturge

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 04:45 PM

Well, I thought the movie was dandy, even if it was digitally altered, but that's just me. As far as Kitano's films go, I hated Boiling Point and Sonatine(esoecially Sonatine), but his movies are hit and misses.

Oh yeah, I just found the Japanese dvd for Brother $15, dts and dd and I think its anamorphic to boot. Posted Image

#8 of 11 Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 09:31 PM

John,

15$? Where did you get such a great price? I ordered it from CD Japan for much, much more!

That leads to the question where you guys order your Japanese/Korean/HK DVDs from?

Thanks!

Best regards
Bjoern

------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Videophile.info (HD and DVD reviews, SPL measurements, my HT in action...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

#9 of 11 Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, the Japanese disc is around $40; maybe it was the just released Hong Kong disc, which has DTS and DD, and would retail for about $8 in HK.

#10 of 11 Chauncey

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 05:38 AM

I have mine on order from Hivizone . It is $9 plus shipping. Shipping is high, but I bought 5 DVDs to level it out.

Good Luck,

------------------

Chauncey

#11 of 11 John Sturge

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted August 26 2001 - 08:16 AM

Bj, I got it off ebay. It's the Japanese one though, I'm pretty sure.