What's new

Is There Any Word On Takeshi Kitano's Film DVD Release Date? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
My theater doesn't carry it now. So, I was wondering if anyone knew if the dvd was coming out, the date, and possibly the features.
frown.gif

Edit: S*** I forgot the movie title, the movie is "Brother"
[Edited last by John Sturge on August 24, 2001 at 11:30 AM]

Eric Wickitt

Agent
There's a region 3 (uncut) version that was released on dvd this week (korean dvd company i believe).. chk it out at http://www.pokerindustries.com
Who knows if a region 1 version will be available any time soon....theres a good chance it will be "cut" too, as many of the US theatrical prints have the violence toned down as well.

Eric Wickitt

Agent
Hey, i just realized youre the author of such controversial threads as " what's so good about SALO" .....
I have no opinion on SALO but i think you're my hero for speaking so frankly on the subject. I would've posted this on that thread but you got the 'bozak' .
flame on!

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the compliments, I am striving to figure out why it was closed...But anyway, scenes were cut out? I remember watching the movie at Evanston Cine`Arts and I was treated to the full sight of a man performing harakiri. What still eats away at me is the storm of bad reviews for the move. Hell, I thought it was one of the best movies of the year. (I must be a director's whore
redface.gif
)

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
The film was digitally altered to erase what was felt to be excessive gore on several occasions. For example, the scene you mentioned with the guy committing seppuku, you actually see some intestines hanging out in the uncut version. Other scenes remove brains from walls after gunshots, etc. This was done presumably to avoid the kiss of death NC-17 rating.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
As far as reviews of Brother go, I can't speak for film critics, but I thought it was the weakest of Kitano's films that I've seen (all but one). Regarding the film being cut, the studio removed what was considered excessive gore from several scenes, including the seppuku scene you mentioned. In the uncut version, you can see some of the guy's intestines hanging out as they drag him away. Otherwise, they made the results of the various gunshots look less gory. This was done to presumably fend off the kiss of death NC-17. After watching the Japanese DVD, I was surprised when I saw it at the theater and seeing how they toned it down.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I thought the movie was dandy, even if it was digitally altered, but that's just me. As far as Kitano's films go, I hated Boiling Point and Sonatine(esoecially Sonatine), but his movies are hit and misses.
Oh yeah, I just found the Japanese dvd for Brother $15, dts and dd and I think its anamorphic to boot. :D

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the Japanese disc is around $40; maybe it was the just released Hong Kong disc, which has DTS and DD, and would retail for about $8 in HK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks