Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: "28 Days Later" (with screenshots)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 12:43 PM

#2 of 53 ONLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,910 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 12:56 PM

The amber tone very much replicates the theatrical presentation. Based upon the screen shots in the review, the transfer appears to be faithful to the film. Nice to see the film getting some decent extras; being a fan of apocalyptic films this is an easy purchase for me, and the extras don't hurt. Regarding the overall film appearence, I'm expecting this film to look better in a Home Theater environment simply due to the smaller screen sizes, and the accompanied reduction in blockiness and size of digital artifacts when compared to a viewing upon a much larger theatrical screen. - Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 53 OFFLINE   Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 01:15 PM

I'm happy to see this movie is getting a good release with good extras. (on a personal note I am excited to see another feature that was shot with a Canon XL1 as that is what a few fellow filmmakers and I are using, it is very inspiring) I missed out on seeing this movie in theaters but have read quite a bit about it in indie magazines and am looking forward to it! Very good review!

#4 of 53 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 01:38 PM

I missed this one in the theatres but will definitely be picking this one up on release day. Can't wait!Posted Image

Great review Adam.Posted Image
Recently watched- Escape From L.A., Highlander 2, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Escape From New York, The Interview, Trancers, Don Jon, Under Fire, Major Dundee: Extended Version, Brannigan, Used Cars, Hard Times, The Mechanic(1972), The Dogs Of War, Fast & Furious 6, The Vanishing(1993), Fast Five

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific

"You're the Duke...You're A-number one."

#5 of 53 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 02:02 PM

Can't wait to get this DVD, most wanted title of the year.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#6 of 53 OFFLINE   Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

• 1,413 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 02:18 PM

I know you said you didn't see it theatrically, but it's worth noting that the haloing was present when I saw the movie on the big screen.

#7 of 53 OFFLINE   Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 02:46 PM

My guess is the 3rd ending is after the credits. There was a new ending attached to the film in theaters here 28 Days after t released.

#8 of 53 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 02:48 PM

I LOVED this movie in the theater! Great review, I will be there on release day!. The description sounds very much like I remember from the big screen.

#9 of 53 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,786 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 25 2003 - 03:12 PM

I liked the film and will buy the DVD. Probably the best thriller released this year.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#10 of 53 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 04:09 PM

Nice review. I've been awaiting this DVD ever since I saw the film theatrically. While not the best horror film of the year, it comes damn close, and in a year with several satisfying horror releases, it was one of the most satisfying.

#11 of 53 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 04:21 PM

I didn't think of this film so much as a horror film as I did an excellent science-fiction film. One question... since the movie was filmed in PAL, does this DVD suffer from PAL->NTSC slowdown? (25FPS->24)

#12 of 53 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 05:32 PM

I was under the impression is was shot (technically not filmed as it was DV) at 24 fps.
My Collection

#13 of 53 OFFLINE   Simon Basso

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:10 PM

I'm curious about the way this was transferred to ntsc as well. The film has two sequences shot on film rather than DV; some Super-8 inserts and standard 35mm was used for the ending. I understand that the UK R2 dvd was entirely mastered from a film print, rather than a digital source, so I have avoided the UK dvd to avoid PAL speed-up. Can anyone confirm that the R1 dvd has been created anew rather than a conversion of the PAL master?

#14 of 53 OFFLINE   Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 06:31 PM

I will be picking this one up. Since it similar to Omega Man (which I also picked up and liked), I will probably get a idea of how this bleak world full of zombies. Great review.
I need a new signature.

#15 of 53 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 09:07 PM

Simon brigns up a good point. It's unlikely this was "filmed" at PAL-speed as it was made for theatrical release. Theaters in Europe project 24fps, same as here. Shooting 25 would have forced 4% slowdown in the theaters.
My Collection

#16 of 53 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,731 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:24 AM

Actually, the halos were present on the film prints and not just the dvd. They came from using such a low-resolution video stock. I'm pretty sure this was filmed on non HiDef-DV. Anyone who hasn't seen this, please don't let the less-than-stellar image quality deter you. This is a fantastic little film!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#17 of 53 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 12:36 AM

Right, the print I saw in theaters was absolutely terrible. Massive Edge Enahcement, graininess, terrible resolution with hardly any detail, etc. The movie was good, but I would'nt purchase it unless they shot the whole thing over with standard 35mm film. And I don't see how this abominable PQ contribues to the film in any way. It's not "documentary style", it's "terrible digital looking style".

#18 of 53 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,177 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted September 26 2003 - 01:39 AM

[quote] I understand that the UK R2 dvd was entirely mastered from a film print, rather than a digital source [quote]
Where did you get this from ????? I dont think this is true at all.

#19 of 53 OFFLINE   Simon Basso

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 03:16 AM

I read that Fox confirmed it when the UK dvd was released. I pass on only what I read, which is why I included the proviso. It seems plausible, given that it's not an entirely digital feature.

#20 of 53 OFFLINE   Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted September 26 2003 - 03:42 AM

Malcom, as for Spoiler #1: True, however, they did not know that until the very end. and Spoiler #2. Its easier to say "zombies" over and over, and its also easier for people to relate to. This is the only reason I chose to use "zombies". Although they do bite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users