What's new

Is Dark City worth a blind buy at $10.00? (1 Viewer)

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
October and November are going to be heavy spending months for me, so I'm reluctant to buy any older DVDs right now, but I saw Dark City at a local store for 10 bucks. I've seen positive and negative reviews of the film. Should I make a blind buy while it's so cheap?

Some of my favorite sci-fi flicks are 2001: A Space Odyssey, Metropolis, and Brazil. I've only seen a little of Blade Runner on TV, but what I saw I liked (I am waiting for a definitive edition on DVD before I watch the whole thing.)

Thanks for the help!

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
You can actually get it for $7.95 shipped from Digital Eyes. A total no-brainer at that price.

BTW, go ahead and at least rent the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. You're denying yourself one of the great sci-fi classics of all time.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Yes, for $10 you can't go wrong, and the disc has some interesting special features including a great Ebert commentary. Go for it!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy's $5.99 picks include Dark City, Singles, and some bad movies too.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
This movie is a steal at twice the price! One of the best movies ever made. Great mix of sci-fi/noir.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
What's Best Buy's $5.99 picks? I don't see anything on their website and weekly ad.

~T

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
$5.99 at Best Buy? I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the input--I think I'll pick it up, especially if I can find it even cheaper. Why such a low price? Is there a special edition coming or something?

Also, I might try to talk my wife into watching it with me, but she doesn't usually like to watch dark, bloody movies, unless it's a Terminator movie--must be the special effects :)

Anyway, does it have any more gore than an X-Files episode?

And JohnnyHK, I may indeed get impatient and get Blade Runner one of these days as well--it's been very hard to keep from watching it.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I picked this up at Best Buy for $5.99 too. They had a special section with several good titles marked with big yellow "Special Purchase" tags.

Yeah, it's worth it.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
My cousin watched that movie before me and gave me this advice: don't listen to the first two lines of dialogue (spoken by K.Sutherland IIRC), it gives part of the mystery away.
I enjoy it better not knowing anything about the story at the beginning. I feel like these two lines were added because some people might feel the beginning is too confusing (which he's not, you're just like the main character, trying to figure out what is happening)
Great movie!!!

Cheers,

Vincent

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah the opening narration was added at the request of the studio. Proyas says as much in the commentary.

Great movie! One of my favorites. Plus, you get a terrific commentary by Roger Ebert and an essay by Neil Gaiman. Obviously some folks with good taste think very highly of this film.

I think the reason it's so cheap is that it's been around for so long that New Line made their money back on it long ago. Now they can afford to knock the price down to pull in folks who might not have bought it otherwise.

Again, I can't stress enough how cool this film is.

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
I paid more than $15 when it first came out on DVD (and picked it up on Laserdisc before that for $35) and have never regretted the purchase or the price. Great movie that I watch often.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the oh so few films of recent vintage called "science fiction" that really is science fiction. A fine film that grows on you, wrapped in an excellent DVD presentation. Well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks