What's new

Disney's "Hunchback Of Notre Dame"? (1 Viewer)

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Disney has any plans to release "Hunchback Of Notre Dame"? I thought they originally had this scheduled for release but pulled it off of the release schedule. Does anyone know if they are planning on releasing this anytime soon?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Hunchback and Oliver & Company were both scheduled and then pulled as Gold releases. They are unlikely to be re-scheduled until next year.
I have the DD5.1 CLV laserdisc of Hunchback and have always liked the sound mix. It would be nice to get it on an anamorphic DVD. It would be even nicer to get that SE material from the CAV laserdisc in an affordable DVD package!
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 24, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I can hardly wait for Disney's "Hunchback" to come to DVD.
I have it on LD. The first one got laser rot within a year. The second one, which I purchased about 18 months ago, is also showing signs of laser rot.
This needs to come out soon on DVD.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is not the first time that Disney pulled Hunchback from the release schedule... they pulled it before so they could release it with (ick) Hunchback II, but are now curiously pulling it again. This is my favorite Disney movie (with the early 90's trilogy of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King a close second) and I wish Disney would get it together and release a nice special edition of this film soon.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Put me down for this one.
I had this as a pre-order back in the days of reel.com before it was pulled off the release schedule.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I have asked about Huncback 1 and 2 at Disney some weeks ago why they pulled them of the release-list.
The only response I got was that they are both scheduled to
be released in 2002, Disney has corrected the date on the
dvd-trailer as well.
As for Oliver & Co I will be picking up a copy within the
next two weeks in my country , Buena Vista is releasing it
on DVD over here.
Here is a little list of things to come in 2002 :
Atlantis : The Lost Empire 22-01-2002
Hunckback Of The Notre Dame Spring 2002
Hunckback Of The Notre Dame 2 Spring 2002
Peter Pan 2 : Return To Never-Never Land Fall 2002
Dumbo 2 2002
The Great Mouse Detective 2002
Cinderella 2 Summer 2002
The Rescuers 2002
Monsters Inc (Pixar) Fall 2002
Beauty And The Beast : Platinum Fall 2002
101 Dalmatians : The Sequel 2002
Oliver & Co 2002
A list was released earlier by Ron Epstein, this sums up
at least 2002.

Mark Mac

Auditioning
Jeff F.
I just watched my Hunchback LD and side 2 has serious Laser rot. The sound was seriously messed up. Im really bumbed. Guess Ill have to find another one on Ebay. Is this a common problem with Disney DVD's?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Guys,
I have the DTS laserdisc of Hunchback and it sounds very, very good. Great fidelity. Much better IMHO than the Dolby Digital version.
Hopefully, the DVD will include a similarly high quality DTS soundtrack, or they use the master that was the basis for the DTS laserdisc. I don't know what the half bitrate DTS encoding will do to it though. Although, if Disney is smart they would re-encode it using the new 24 bit/96 kHz DTS format. But, one never knows with Disney...
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well I know that Disney is releasing The Hunchback Of The Notre Dame 2 with both Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on it.
But with the current rate Disney is releasing DTS tracks
on their dvd's I would not be too surprised when there is
a DTS on it.
If it wasn't on it I would be very dissapointed and many
other people with me
frown.gif

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Marc Mac,
Personally, unless you are going to pick up a used copy of the DTS LD or SE CAV LD, don't waste your money. All of the DD CLV discs were pressed by Sony, and all are in the process of rotting. (The DTS & SE were pressed by Pioneer Japan.)
Daniel L

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Mark:
Disney's LDs are normally very good, but "Hunchback" is the only one I've ever had problems with.
As a side note, I have the CLV edition, not the deluxe CAV box set.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Beauty and the Beast Work in Progress (or whatever that workprint version was called) had a high instance of laser rot as well, although, as has been said, Disney had very few titles that had this problem compared to, oh, say Columbia Tristar.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 27, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks