Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Disney's "Hunchback Of Notre Dame"?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Stan T

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 01:39 PM

Does anyone know if Disney has any plans to release "Hunchback Of Notre Dame"? I thought they originally had this scheduled for release but pulled it off of the release schedule. Does anyone know if they are planning on releasing this anytime soon?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 24 2001 - 01:43 PM

Hunchback and Oliver & Company were both scheduled and then pulled as Gold releases. They are unlikely to be re-scheduled until next year. I have the DD5.1 CLV laserdisc of Hunchback and have always liked the sound mix. It would be nice to get it on an anamorphic DVD. It would be even nicer to get that SE material from the CAV laserdisc in an affordable DVD package! Regards, ------------------ Ken McAlinden Livonia, MI USA [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 24, 2001 at 04:43 PM]
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff F.

Jeff F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 06:52 PM

I can hardly wait for Disney's "Hunchback" to come to DVD. I have it on LD. The first one got laser rot within a year. The second one, which I purchased about 18 months ago, is also showing signs of laser rot. This needs to come out soon on DVD.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted August 24 2001 - 07:57 PM

This is not the first time that Disney pulled Hunchback from the release schedule... they pulled it before so they could release it with (ick) Hunchback II, but are now curiously pulling it again. This is my favorite Disney movie (with the early 90's trilogy of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King a close second) and I wish Disney would get it together and release a nice special edition of this film soon.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted August 24 2001 - 09:06 PM

Put me down for this one.

I had this as a pre-order back in the days of reel.com before it was pulled off the release schedule.

------------------
My DVD's

If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 02:35 AM

I have asked about Huncback 1 and 2 at Disney some weeks ago why they pulled them of the release-list. The only response I got was that they are both scheduled to be released in 2002, Disney has corrected the date on the dvd-trailer as well. As for Oliver & Co I will be picking up a copy within the next two weeks in my country , Buena Vista is releasing it on DVD over here. Here is a little list of things to come in 2002 : Atlantis : The Lost Empire 22-01-2002 Hunckback Of The Notre Dame Spring 2002 Hunckback Of The Notre Dame 2 Spring 2002 Peter Pan 2 : Return To Never-Never Land Fall 2002 Dumbo 2 2002 The Great Mouse Detective 2002 Cinderella 2 Summer 2002 The Rescuers 2002 Monsters Inc (Pixar) Fall 2002 Beauty And The Beast : Platinum Fall 2002 101 Dalmatians : The Sequel 2002 Oliver & Co 2002 A list was released earlier by Ron Epstein, this sums up at least 2002.
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark Mac

Mark Mac

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 04:06 AM

Jeff F. I just watched my Hunchback LD and side 2 has serious Laser rot. The sound was seriously messed up. Im really bumbed. Guess Ill have to find another one on Ebay. Is this a common problem with Disney DVD's?

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 10:20 AM

Guys, I have the DTS laserdisc of Hunchback and it sounds very, very good. Great fidelity. Much better IMHO than the Dolby Digital version. Hopefully, the DVD will include a similarly high quality DTS soundtrack, or they use the master that was the basis for the DTS laserdisc. I don't know what the half bitrate DTS encoding will do to it though. Although, if Disney is smart they would re-encode it using the new 24 bit/96 kHz DTS format. But, one never knows with Disney... Dan ------------------ Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 10:37 AM

Well I know that Disney is releasing The Hunchback Of The Notre Dame 2 with both Dolby Digital and DTS tracks on it.
But with the current rate Disney is releasing DTS tracks
on their dvd's I would not be too surprised when there is
a DTS on it.

If it wasn't on it I would be very dissapointed and many
other people with me Posted Image
"So Dark The Con Of Man"

The Da Vinci Code opening Worldwide on May 19th 2006

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Daniel L

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 11:50 AM

Marc Mac, Personally, unless you are going to pick up a used copy of the DTS LD or SE CAV LD, don't waste your money. All of the DD CLV discs were pressed by Sony, and all are in the process of rotting. (The DTS & SE were pressed by Pioneer Japan.) Daniel L

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff F.

Jeff F.

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted August 25 2001 - 11:57 AM

Mark: Disney's LDs are normally very good, but "Hunchback" is the only one I've ever had problems with. As a side note, I have the CLV edition, not the deluxe CAV box set.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,098 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 25 2001 - 04:05 PM

Beauty and the Beast Work in Progress (or whatever that workprint version was called) had a high instance of laser rot as well, although, as has been said, Disney had very few titles that had this problem compared to, oh, say Columbia Tristar. Regards, ------------------ Ken McAlinden Livonia, MI USA [Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 27, 2001 at 10:58 PM]
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users