What's new

Tough choice with @ $999 price point ..Denon 3803 , Yamaha RXV2400 , Yamaha RXV3300. (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I have decided to return my HTR-5660 for a more feature rich and more powerful receiver.

I can pretty much get any of the following from an authorized dealer for $999 or less.

The new Yamaha RX-V2400 $999
The new Sony 3000ES $999
The older Denon 3803 $999
The older Sony 4ES $899
The older Yamaha RX-V3300 $999

Basically I want more features and power than what my HTR-5660 delivers...help me make this an easier decision.
Thanks

James_SCEA

Agent
James,

Looking up the specs on your older Yamaha receiver, I noticed that the power is somewhat low at 85 watts/ch. The Denon 3803 sounds like a good deal, it has DTS 96/24, component video switching, as well as the increase in power supply that you're looking for.

I wanted to ask you primarily what you plan on using this for. More for movies, music, or both equally? I for one am an audioholic when it comes to my music, I primarily listen to more music than movies. This can affect your decision in a receiver because they all have different tonal qualities.

For example, Onkyo receivers will often satisfy power cravings when it comes to music and movies. However these receivers are primarily designed for theater, sounding a little bit harsh with music, and lacking the warmth of a separate music system. On the other hand, Denon actually balances both pretty well.

My taste, personally is with Marantz receivers. I would recommend checking out the SR 7300. At about $900 new it is more affordable that the 3803. Marantz has a good reputation with audiophiles as well as home theater enthusiasts. Tonally, Marantz receivers are very warm sounding with music, and provide a good sense of presence and accurate sound stage reproduction. The 7300 has about 105 watts/ch, is also equiped with DTS 96/24,component video switching, and provides high speed 192khz/24bit dac's.

I would highly recommend checking out this receiver as it offers competitive pricing and high performance in both the music and theater departments!

Good look with your choice and happy listening! :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
NAD 762 is in this price range also. www.yawaonline.com

My preference is for Marantz as well, for the same reasons. Formerly owned a 6200, replaced it with an 8300 that I am very happy with.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Greg. I am very fond of HarmanKardon. They make very nice recievers with VERY strong amplifiers in them that are "true" to there rating and a very nice front panel if you have ever looked. Go take a listen, it is also full of features!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Why not make a list of the various features and capabilities that each have and then rank them according to your personal needs? For example the V2400 has some capabilities using an equalizer to adjust for room acoustics. Issues of number of inputs/outputs, warranty, availability of local service, the remote, ability to drive your speakers if they happen to be 4 ohm, etc. may also play into your decision. As far as power goes, you'll need to make some sort of effort to get some objective independent measurements or look at past history. There is after all a difference between 5 x 100 watts all channels driven 20-20K and 5 x 100 watts, no?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I think I am going to go with the Yamaha RX-V3300 based on the fact that I like the sound , the beefier amplifer section and because I dont really need the features of the 2400 , I played with the new YPAO yesterday on the 2400 and while I think its neat , I cannot justify the purchase
based on that alone.
The 2400 also has 7.1 but the 3300 has the 2 front effect channels.
In the end id rather spend my money on hardware rather then software.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Yes that HK 7200 looks like a beast but I do not have a local dealer that has one on display and Id prefer to buy locally, also that front face sure looks like it scratches easy.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Rather than the 3300, I'd take the 2400 for its YPAO feature (9-band parametric eq to flatten the room's response and better timbre matching between speakers, and auto SPL system setup)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Although I read what he wrote, I'm assuming he doesn't really know what YPAO can do to his room nor has he audition YPAO capability in his own room.

I personally own Pioneer 45TX with MCACC, and that thing does wonders to my room. However, after auditioning YPAO first hand in my own room (I'm doing a review on that technology), I really wish I never bought the 45TX and buy the 2400 with YPAO instead.

YPAO is THAT good. (unless you have a perfectly calibrated dedicated listening room with proper diffuser, absorber, furniture, which I doubt anybody buying a $1000 receivers has... not to that extent anyway).

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
I own the RX-V3300 and have been very happy with it. My M&K speakers are 4 ohm and they soudn awesome on that rec. However, the YPAO is pretty cool... haven't gotten to play with it enough to tell ya aboot it!

~josh

cacu

Stunt Coordinator
I just demoed the 2400 and the 53tx today. The speaker was the Monitor Audio Silver 6 and Martin Logan (not sure on model). I find that both sound very good. I can hardly tell the difference.

***Disclaimer: I'm a newbie to this mid-end/hi-end audio stuff.

I heard that the Yammy is bright so i tried to listen for it but can't seem to find it. It sounds great. All in all, I think I like the 2400 better although I went in with the intention of buying a 45tx because I've already bought the Pioneer dvd player. To me the 2400 seems to have more clarity. The dealer had the 2400 for $899(pretty good price for a B&M). In the end, I put a down payment for the 45tx because of its great discounted price of $718 + $46 tax even though I think the 2400 sounds a little better. The 45tx will be shipped from another store accross state. It'll be here this weekend. I'll be using my receiver with the Paradigm Studio 20 front and Studio CC.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Can anybody who had played around with the Yamaha 2400 and the YPAO give me some more info as to what it is an how it works?

The Yamaha website doesn't have the 2400 up yet.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
It also greatly depends on which speakers you plan or driving. You can get lousy sound if you have speakers that don't compliment the receiver's qualities.

cacu- I've read the brightness with Yamaha has been fixed in the 1400 model and up. Not that I speak from experience, I don't, but I have read the Pioneer isn't an ideal match for Paradigms. Pioneer is laid back and matched with Paradigms, the sound was too soft. Only what I read, you'll have to hear it for yourself. Take in your fronts, or bring home the receiver with the notion that you are only demoing it. Return it if it doesn't meet your expectations. I have Paradigms and am going to get the Marantz 7300 tonight.

Mike Reeter

Agent
James,I think the Denon 3803 can still be had at 6th Ave.com for $650-$700"new" very good price for this AVR,also a registered dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks