What's new

Directors Name Those Movies - A Different Type of Screen Shot Contest (2 Viewers)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As soon as Chris Moe's current contest ends, I will be starting a new one....... with some twists. The main twist is that each shot will be taken from more than one movie. In fact, with all the TV shows available on DVD, some of them may be from TV shows. Some may be a mix of movies and TV shows. Some will have color movies changed to B&W. Many will have the color scheme changed to make the different elements work together well. Some will have large, easy to see elements from different movies while some will be small and difficult to find. I can't say what the maximum number of movies in one shot will be because I haven't completed all the images yet, but I already have one with 6 movies in it. The good news is it will be very easy for virutally anyone to get at least a few points in this contest. The really good news is, the real competition will be particularly difficult. Google should be of absolutely no use and I am hoping there won't be any clear leaders day to day like in the previous contests.

This is how I plan to score the contest.

1 Point for getting one movie right.

3 Points for each other correct movie.

5 Points for each other correct movie, when 3 or fewer people got that particular movie.

1 point deducted for each incorrect movie.

A warning. I may include more than one element from a particular movie in a single image, just to throw people off. In that case, participants should only name that movie once or they will be deducted 2 points.

No discussing how many movies are found in an image until the answers are revealed.

If this sounds confusing, it will be a lot clearer once the first image is posted. I haven't decided if answers will be by PM or email, but in either case, it will be a link in the picture.

I will post one image each weekday. No images on weekends. You have until the next image is posted to submit your answer. The answer must be complete. You can't add to it later.

Back on Monday with the first image.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's the general idea, Chris, except I will often try to integrate the images so it is harder to tell which ones were added. Sometime I will, sometimes I won't. Plus, of course, we will be competing with private submissions.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Sounds like a great idea. I'd sure love to be a part of this one. Maybe I'll do a little better. By the way, when does Chris's contest end?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Chris, except I will often try to integrate the images so it is harder to tell which ones were added.
Why that sounds like a veiled slam against my image editing skills. Fighting Words, Rice! Well, not really harsh enough to trigger a fight.... Annoyance Words! Hmmmm, nope. I'm not even really annoyed. Ummmm... Eyebrow Arching Words! Yup. That eyebrow is up there. :D

I hope you can last longer than I did without burning out. I ended up with a stack of 50 DVDs next to the computer and mild carpal tunnel syndrome from chopping out and stitching together all of the partial images - all so that Bill McA could dominate another contest. I'll be participating in this one, though. And I'll be testing that "Google should be of absolutely no use" claim. ;)

Brad

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds interesting. Doesn't sound like I'd do too well, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well Brad, it may have been a little bit of a dig. :p)

The truth is, Photoshop skills continually get more important for me to have and even though I've been using it for about 12 years, it's in the last 6 months or so I have really started digging into it. Some of the shots don't blend together well because they just can't, or I didn't want them to, but there are a few I am particularly proud of.

I have 12 done and if the whole thing goes 30 rounds I'll be amazed. It takes too much time, not to mention inspiration of which images will come together well. I'm already a little burned out on doing them.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Another quick question: How does Google help with Chris's contest? You can't copy the image and search for the movie, and you can't search for the movie if you don't know the title. So how does Google help for that?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not that I would resort to it :)

You can search for text within captures, or search based upon a description of the scene. For instance...

A google search of 'needles eyes film' returns a link that discusses Betty in Dario Argento's Opera.

- Walter.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Plus, I probably jumped the gun saying Google would be no use. In virtually every image I expect at least one of the elements could be helped with Google.

Personally, I think using Google for this stuff is pretty spineless, though there is no way I can prevent it. Anyone can type a few words on their computer. No skill required. I can gurarntee that Google will be far less useful this time than in other contests.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Personally, I think using Google for this stuff is pretty spineless, though there is no way I can prevent it. Anyone can type a few words on their computer. No skill required.
I agree completely. The contest should be about recognizing images from films (or at least using some deductive reasoning to guess), not about composing a search engine query. Anyone who uses Google for these contests is a cheater IMO.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Sounds like fun! I welcome the opportunity for Rice to expose me as somebody who has little knowledge of movies or television! :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm interested to see how people do. Pretty much every image will have at least one movie that will be very easy, but some of them will have some incredibly difficult stuff as well.

I just worry about some people griping about how absurdly difficult some of the elements will be. As far as I'm concerned, the bottom line on those is either nobody will get them and no harm is done, or somebody will get them and fairly be rewarded with points.

I have 14 images done or mostly done so far. I hope this ends up being fun.

Just so everybody knows, I plan on having the answers submitted by email. That way I can keep all the submissions until the contest is over, which will help me be sure I don't make any mistakes in scoring. Right now, there is a bit of a hangup with my email server, so I will have to end submissions about 1/2 hour before I reveal the correct answers. I'll try to do this around the same time Chris has been ending his rounds.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

Oh, no! People being rewarded for performance! Ahh! We can't have people feeling inferior! Everybody's equal...

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since Chris' contest is ending tonight, I figured I'd go ahead and start this one.

I'll start with an easy one.

[c][url=http://members.interfold.com/ricephoto/htf/ntm/01.jpg] [/url]

Click on the image to submit your answers

Put your HTF user name in the subject line and list the movies in the body.

Don't discuss the image until the answers are revealed
[/c]

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We already have one winner. Andrew_Sch.....for having the most shit at the bottom of his emails. :p)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This'll be the first one of these that I'll be starting off at the beginning. Though I doubt I'll do very good if there's a lot of TV shows included.

Tell me this is a joke. There are people using Google for these screenshot tournaments?! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks