What's new

Anybody going to the Calgary International Film Festival? (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
www.calgaryfilm.com

Approximately 250(!) movies will be screened from Friday, Sept. 26 to Oct. 5.

Too bad William H. Macy can't make it to the opening gala(father's illness). :frowning:

This festival is HUGE now! I expect attendance to be through the roof this year. And, it is much less formal than those snobbish film festivals on the East coast... :p)

I'm definitely going. I gots my Premier Pass so I can mingle with the DPs and directors and producers. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Some of those 250 are shorts, of course (I recognized a few names from the Boston FF).

Still... How does Calgary get a film festival with 250 entries while the Hub Of The Universe gets what I went to two weeks ago? :frowning:

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Well, there are lots of great films in there worth seeing... especially in the "Canadian Film" and "Contemporary World" series.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It's surprising that there is a lot of interest in this festival. Thank goodness Calgary isn't just a bunch of cowboys, oil rig hands, and oil barons anymore. :)

The population boom that is still happening in Calgary must be the reason...for the last 5 years it's been getting a lot of refugees fleeing infamous third world regions like British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and parts of Ontario. :D

I've been so busy with other things, I haven't had a chance to review all the entries. Any recommendations? The schedule is pretty darn tight!

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Any recommendations?
Well, if you have to see one film at the festival, go see My Life without Me. :) It will probably get a wider release this fall, but you may also want to see these too:

The Barbarian Invasions (Les Invasions Barbares)
The Son (Le Fils)
At Five in the Afternoon (Panj é asr)

Terry St

Second Unit
Any recommendations?
A safe bet would be some of the restored classics being played. The new restoration of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" will be showing, as will Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times". If you haven't seen either of those two flicks, do so! I am also looking forward to "Barbarian Invasions" and "American Cousins". There is certainly no shortage of intriguing flicks this year!

Terry St

Second Unit
I just got back from "American Cousins". Excellent flick. I strongly suggest checking it out at it's second showing on Thursday if you missed it.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I will try. I'm really looking forward to "My Sassy Girl". I still haven't decided if I should go to "Zero Day" or attend the closing gala. Hmmm.

I greatly enjoyed Mark Ackbar's "The Corporation". I found it as entertaining as "Bowling For Columbine", and also much more satisfying (and has great interview segments with Michael Moore and others). I really hope it gets an oscar nod for 2004. It was fun talking to him at the bar after the show too.

And it was really cool seeing pictures of Mark's experience at the Burning Hand festival in Nevada. :)

"The Corporation" is a must-see. It is showing again on Wednesday I think. The theater was packed for tonight's performance.

I also found "A Little Monk" a very enjoyable and touching movie (and Korean women are cute!).

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Saw At Five in the Afternoon, a film made in Kabul, Afghanistan. Very depressing. I did enjoy it though.

My Sassy Girl is just brilliant...gut-bustingly funny. Looks like the reason why it isn't in wide release anywhere in North America is because Hollywood wants to do a remake of it. Shameful, because I can't see any way they can do justice to it.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I am going to be seeing a couple movies at this fest over the weekend. I am ashamed to admit I haven't seen Leone's THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, so I will definitely be seeing it in the restored print on Sunday. I am also going to see a documentary on Saturday called MY LIFE WITH COUNT DRACULA.

As far as the festival goes, it made some big leaps in the last couple years, but it still is no Toronto Film Fest. Hopefully this is only the beginning though, and that Calgary continues to build a strong reputation in the industry. :emoji_thumbsup:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rhett...I'm actually glad it ISN'T like the Toronto Film Fest. I actually like being able to walk up to an actor or director without being harassed by bodyguards and chug a few beers and pontificate over trivial crap. :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The festival is over. I've seen 28 movies.

Some notes on the "major" movies:

My Sassy Girl is my favorite movie of the festival by far. I think the Korean movie industry just took a great leap forward back in 2001!

I was somewhat disappointed with Barbarian Invasions. Sure, it has some funny and clever dialog, but haven't I already seen this movie a dozen times? A bunch of old people get together waiting for an old ex-womanizing post-modernist left-wing professor to die of cancer. Fortunately, I did appreciate the self-deprecating humour...a lot of joking about how they embraced every fad that came along (communism, environmentalism, pacifism, etc.), yet realizing that it was all just a waste of time, and what really counts is their friendship. *sniff* :D An overrated film that will do well.

Second favorite film: A Little Monk, another South Korean film.

Second second favorite film: The Corporation: A nicely entertaining documentary (with leanings toward editorial) about our favorite institution! I love the humorous (cynical?) self-promotion of the corporations that chose to do interviews and presentations for the movie. And the CEO of Interface was intriguing...a CEO of a carpet manufacturing corporation that truly wants to help the environment by cleaning the factories up - almost unbelievable, yet he seems genuinely sincere!

Maybe I'll post more thoughts later...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks