What's new

Pink Floyd is the Best. (1 Viewer)

MarcianoD

Grip
Anyone else think that pinkfloyd put out some of the best music every. Dark Side was on the charts for 16 years straight.

and it goes sooo good with surround sound.

:)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I think Floyd is second only to The Beatles because I like the classical music producer George Martin used in their songs and to me that's a complete mastery of music. But other than that, I probably listen to Floyd more. I have just about all the Floyd albums whereas I'm still working on my Beatles collection. I think Dark Side and Abbey Road are the 2 best rock records ever made.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I am 30 yo and I have enjoy Pink Floyd for over 17 years now.. Everybody thought I was nuts back then - it was in the middle of Depeche Mode, Erasure etc.. Even my dad thought it was strange I was hearing that kind of music at that time. Hey I didn't even smoke grass :) I was just as normal I could be...

Pink Floyd was (still do) fasinating me with that universe they have - I have chilled out 1000 times to David Gilmours solo in Comfertably Numb the 2nd is among the best ever!

So bring up all Pink Floyd titles in High Rez DVD Audio! That would rock the world! :emoji_thumbsup:

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Gilmour is certainly in a class all his own. The guitar solo in "Another brick in the wall" is truly brilliant. On the one hand it should never fit in that song but at the same time it does. Am I making sense? Pink Floyd, along with Hendrix and Led Zep probably get the most play at my place.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
My interest and opinion of Pink Floyd has changed as much as any band.

I've always enjoyed at least some of their stuff, but not all. I was into The Wall a bit in high school (early 90s) which fit nicely with all the depressing grunge rock that I was digging at the time. Nowadays I can't listen to the whole thing. Count me in among those who feel there is a brilliant single album hidden within the sprawling double record.

Dark Side is of course great, but I don't consider it perfect or a favorite for two reasons:

1. Many of the songs are just played out. I must have Money a bazillion times. Very few songs can resist that kind of overexposure in my book, and this just isn't one of those for me.

2. That second track that's just looped noises- don't like it.

I tried to listen to the Barrett material, but that's just way too corny sounding and outdated for me. However, I do have Ummagumma. The live part is trippy but somehow focused enough and the performance is energetic. I love that CD. The second disc, however, is just terrible, IMO. Never gets played.

The two "dark horses" that I've fallen in love with are Meddle and Animals. Meddle got overshadowed by Dark Side through the years which is a shame because there is a lot of great music on there. Fearless is simply a breathtaking song.

Animals is the only Pink Floyd animal that I consider "perfect," in that every song is brilliant, every note is important, every moment special. By far my favorite Floyd.

Wish You Were Here is my 2nd favorite, as I enjoy every song immensely except for Welcome to the Machine, which bores me to tears.

I've never heard The Final Cut.

The post-Waters stuff seems to lack the same muscle of the earlier material. Though Waters was often whiney and self-important, that silliness was part of Floyd's charm. Just ain't the same without him.

So, all in all, Floyd is a mixed bag for me, with very high ups and very boring lows.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've come to appreciate the pre-Dark Side albums and I listen to Saucerful of Secrets a lot lately. I also like the fun phase of Floyd as personified with Syd Barrett in the first album. Then again I've been in a total swinging 60's London mood recently. I think every Floyd fan should hear The Final Cut, which in many ways can be considered a sequel to The Wall. Granted the album is dated because of the early 80's political references and it's mostly a self-absorbed diatribe on war as written and voice by Waters, but there are some real gems in there. IMO the last two tracks, Not Now John and Two Suns... make the album and if you haven't heard at least those 2 tracks off the album you're missing something.

It's also cool hearing Gilmour and Waters sing, "Fuck all that!" on Not Now John which is a kick ass track. That's the only track Gilmour lent his voice to on the album, which is essentially Waters' swan song and the songs have that feeling about them. As if Waters knew his days with Floyd were at an end.

JordanS

Second Unit
I'm a huge Floyd fan.

As for the people who don't enjoy post Waters Floyd----I have a few recommendations.

1) High Hopes (PULSE)(The Division Bell)

This could be possibly the best Floyd song of all time in my opinion. A true masterpiece with an AMAZING steel guitar solo at the end. This is a must.

2) Wearing The Inside Out (The Division Bell) Absolutely brilliant song by Richard Wright.

3) Cluster One/Marooned (The Division Bell) the first takes a bit getting used to; but it is amazing; and Marooned is just brilliant.

4)Sorrow (PULSE) You definitely have to get the PULSE version for this. Magnificent song from start to finish.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think DSOTM carries itself well considering it is 30 years old. It has aged well and there's not much in it which sounds dated except perhaps the organ sounds such as on Money and Any Colour You Like.

Sorrow kicks ass. I love the bass on it. The studio version is incredible, the live version on PULSE is even better. The guitar solo at the end is IMHO Gilmour's best (in the non-steel category) since Comfortably Numb. It's my favorite Floyd song of all.

Marooned, well what more can be said except that it won a Grammy for best rock instrumental? Great guitar work. At one point Gilmour bends a note a whole octave, albeit by using an effects pedal.

I agree that Meddle and Animals are very underrated. One key thing to keep in mind about Animals is that "Dogs" and "Sheep" are revisions of two songs called "You Got To Be Crazy" and "Raving and Drooling" that they had been performing live since before they recorded the Wish You Were Here album. They were well practiced with these songs by the time they went into the studio, every note is perfect.

Another interesting thing about Animals is that it is such a departure from Wish You Were Here in more ways than just the lyrics. Animals doesn't have all the layers of dreamy ethereal chords and harmonies. It's more lightweight and hard rocking, which carries even more distinction considering it was 1977 when disco had largely overshadowed rock and roll. "Dogs" is perhaps my second favorite Floyd song of all. I especially like the double-tracked guitar solo that is heard near the beginning and reprised just before the end.

Animals is what I consider to be the last album in which all four members of the band were firing on all cylinders and working together and enjoying it. The Wall is a great album but it did not have the full benefit of collaboration that previous albums had, so I consider the triumverate of DSOTM, WYWH, and Animals to be the band's best work.

Does anybody else enjoy the live cover version of Animals by Les Claypool's Frog Brigade? I like it a lot.

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I stated this in a similar PF related post recently...
Any PF fan who does not have Roger Water's "Amused to Death" needs to go buy it. This disc (IMHO) is just as good, if not better, than the 4 classic PF discs, and should be part of everyone's disc collection. Plus, for the true Audiophiles on this forum, this is one of the best produced CDs ever (once again, IMHO)

JordanS

Second Unit
I agree Wayne with everything you said. "Dogs" is such an amazing song.

Mike:

I totally agree about Amused to Death. What is amazing is that guitar solo by Jeff Beck on "What God Wants Part 3."

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody else enjoy the live cover version of Animals by Les Claypool's Frog Brigade? I like it a lot.
I was just gonna mention this. A really cool performance. Claypool's voice is just so wrong for this music, which makes it all the more fun to listen to, and the band is really on.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Although they are not as good as Floyd stuff, Gilmores solos are not bad at all. I absolutly love the song "Until We Sleep" on "About Face".

Just saw a Laser show of the SACD 5.1 DSotM last friday night, They had sound problems that kind of ruined the show but the graphics were coll. It was not a Laser show as such it was generated by computor and displayed from 5 CRT projectors converged on the dome ceiling.

Wes

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I once read somewhere that Animals was Pink Floyd's response to the growing punk rock movement that had begun to permeate the London underground in the mid-70's. For that particular album they ditched some of the more familiar slick elements such as female background singers, the slide guitar and perhaps few other things to create a more harder edge/raw rock album. At the time The Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten was against progressive rock and would wear a T-shirt that read "I hate Pink Floyd" even though he admitted to Gilmour that he was a fan.

I think it's a great album and I do agree it's very underrated. Funny thing is I was flipping channels the other night and came across WKRP In Cincinnati. Johnny Fever was playing "Dogs" from Animals when the big guy walked in and asked what he was playing because the song was at the part when the dogs were howling. Big guy held up the album cover and was looking at it. Fever told him it was Pink Floyd. I just thought it was funny because that episode was probably shot around '77 or '78. I'd never seen it and almost immediately I thought of some of the threads I see started in the software section about WKRP and the clearance issues with the songs.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
FWIW, just about every time I've read a review of Animals (my fave PF album, BTW) or heard what fans say, it's spoken of lovingly and referred to as "underrated". I think that time has passed. It can't be underrated if everyone says they love it.

Daniel J.S.

Stunt Coordinator
^^^It's underrated in the sense that it doesn't get the same attention from the critical establishment that "Dark Side," "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall" do. Fans love it to pieces (I certainly do), but it doesn't usually get the same respect from the rock press. It's always the way; most of us probably consider "Amused to Death" one of Waters' finest works ever, but the reviews were lukewarm at best.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
It can't be underrated if everyone says they love it.
I think the point to it being underrated is that everyone doesn't love it. Animals is the black sheep(pun not intended) of the Floyd 70's catalog. I know a guy at work who claims to like Floyd, he just recently bought the Dark Side DVD. Yet he told me he's never heard Animals. My sister had The Wall when it came out(great double album artwork), I doubt she's familiar with Animals(we were still into ABBA back then).

I think there are really 2 kinds of Pink Floyd fans: the kind that like the big albums(mostly 70's era)- Dark Side, The Wall, perhaps Wish You Were Here, and maybe late-era albums like Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell. Then there's the kind of Floyd fan that either likes/loves every album or atleast knows about every album. You know, it's either surface or deep appreciation. That's not to say anything negative about either one. Dark Side is simply their landmark album that overshadows everything, followed by The Wall as far as popularity. Wish You Were Here would come next. Animals is the weird hybrid that has generally unradio friendly tracks due to length(although WKRP was playing it, but that's Johnny Fever!) that aren't about the music industry, showbiz or money. So it didn't attract the same attention as Dark Side or Wish. Plus by that time the music scene was shifting its focus from rock and pop to disco and punk rock. Floyd was trying to adapt to the change because as I mentioned, Animals was a reaction to the punk scene. They sure as hell weren't going to attempt disco.

For me, one of the most interesting things about Pink Floyd, besides the great music, is that each album plays a part in the evolution of the band that points towards their next album. There isn't a wasted or unimportant album. Starting way back with their first album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn that featured Syd Barrett, the poster child for insanity and the subject of many songs to come, the seed was planted for all the following albums to explore a range of personal topics. Dark Side begat Wish You Were Here, 'Wish' begat Animals and it was a slight departure for the group or at least an attempt, and Animals lead to The Wall. Waters mentioned that while on their Animals tour he got the idea for The Wall.

Aaron Thorne

Stunt Coordinator
Animals is one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums as well. The way Waters characterized three types of people using animals was genious. It is a underated album, especially lyrically.

While on the great subject of Pink Floyd, I just purchased a surround system that plays SACD format and the 30th anniversary Dark Side album. One word...WOW. Also, Pulse is rumored to be coming out on DVD. Anyone know of a release date?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I love Animals, it's my favorite Pink Floyd album. I put Pink Floyd in the top 5 greatest bands of all time. I am not a big fan of the Sid Barrett years though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks