-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Name This 80's Surf Movie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 rhett

rhett

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 06:38 PM

Hey guys, I've been trying to recall a movie I used to watch as a kid all the time. It was a trite 80's movie about surfing, which involved a self-centered guy who lived on his own and was training for some big surfing competition. The main thing I remember was that every morning he had a routine, where he'd cook his eggs, boil coffee and use the microwave all at once, and then while driving to the beach he would always get a green light (especially when the red light would change at the last moment). His routine gets messed up at the end before the big surf meet, and he ends up crashing his surf board into a cop car(!).

Can anyone remember this film for me? I've tried looking for it everywhere, but without knowing the name it is pretty tough. 80's cheese conoisseurs, this is your chance to shine! Posted Image
"The Night HE Came Home"

#2 of 22 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 07:04 PM

It must be BIG WEDNESDAY. Cool movie.
Too much debt...

#3 of 22 rhett

rhett

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 02:39 AM

BIG WENESDAY is a cool flick, but that unfortunately isn't the one. The one I am thinking about is low brow 80's all the way.
"The Night HE Came Home"

#4 of 22 Cagri

Cagri

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 02:57 AM

Well... Good luck then Posted Image
Too much debt...

#5 of 22 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 09:10 AM

Might you be talking about "The Endless Summer?" I think that was a surfing documentary type of film that was popular in that time period.

#6 of 22 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 09:11 AM

If you're certain that it's from the 80s, I have two educated guesses:

North Shore? or Surf 2?

Neither of those seem too likely to fit the bill, but they're the only two I could think of off-hand.

#7 of 22 rhett

rhett

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately, I still haven't found the right movie yet. You'd think you would be able to find it on IMDb by looking for keywords, but that isn't the case.

If it helps, the movie is about one guy who is very arrogent and cocky, who lives day in and day out for surfing. He has the obligatory love interest, and also a quarrel with a rival surfer. If I remember right, there is also a part where he drives his jeep off the doc and into the ocean by accident...

The title is on the tip of my tongue, for some reason I keep wanting to say it is "The Sure Thing" but that obviously isn't the title. I believe the title is in a similar vein though...
"The Night HE Came Home"

#8 of 22 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 03:07 PM

Blind guesses:

Spring Break? Spring Fever? Breaking All the Rules?

Now I wanna know what this movie is! Posted Image

#9 of 22 JClois77

JClois77

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 14 2009 - 07:28 AM

North Shore

#10 of 22 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted October 14 2009 - 08:23 AM

Um, someone guessed "North Shore" a little over six years ago and it wasn't the right movie then.

Geez, I hope the guy isn't still trying to figure it out...

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#11 of 22 Gary Hightower

Gary Hightower

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted October 15 2009 - 03:01 PM

All those 80s surfer and beach movies bring back good memories. I would watch em again but theyd probably mess with those memories when looked at today. Can't allow that..

#12 of 22 Brian-W

Brian-W

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted October 16 2009 - 10:40 AM

I've seen practically every surf movie from the 80s and even I'm struggling to guess what it is.  Definitely not North Shore, nor Big Wednesday (which was 70s I believe), nor Endless Summer (well before that even).  I wanna say Surf Nazi's Must Die, but I sincerely doubt that's it. 

I watched Big Wednesday last year, such a great film.  Top notch acting, not a rushed story, a true coming of age story.  North Shore was Karate Kid so to speak, Endless Summer is just a comfortable relaxing film you feel cozy around.  I love 'em all.

I think it's "Under the Boardwalk" that you're referring to, but that movie is a haze in my head so I'm not totally sure.

(Trailer)
* No longer looking for Hi-Vision Laserdiscs *
(I buried that format)

www.16cylinder.com
www.jet-x.com

#13 of 22 PHIBES

PHIBES

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 02:11 AM

Hey guys i was wondering if someone could give me a list of 80s surf movies???? thanks alot!!!!!!!

#14 of 22 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted August 03 2011 - 02:17 AM

http://www.imdb.com/search/title

Results: http://www.imdb.com/...le_type=feature

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#15 of 22 PHIBES

PHIBES

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 02:21 AM

WOW THANKS......now can anybody else actually be helpfull or is everyone on here trolls?????

#16 of 22 PHIBES

PHIBES

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 02:24 AM

oh wait sorry jason i didnt see the links, some reason my laptop is being incompetent today...... my apologies again.

#17 of 22 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,580 posts

Posted August 03 2011 - 06:56 AM

Chad,

Welcome to the forum!

Although Jason replied to you within 6 minutes, you really should not have been expecting an answer within 10 mins. And certainly not have started calling *everybody* names!

People have a life, but generally, questions are answered on this forum. Just give other members some decent time to do that!

Even if it looked to you that Jason posted an empty message, someone else would probably have chimed in if it was.

Thanks for understanding.

Cees

#18 of 22 Nikki72

Nikki72

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 21 2012 - 10:32 AM

I was also looking for an 80's surf/teenager movie and thanks to this forum I found it ... North Shore. Throughout my searching I found this this movie that hasn't been mentioned. Aloha Summer. I haven't seen it so I don't know if the seen you are talking about is in it. Yeah I know this post is years later but, what can it hurt. :)

#19 of 22 Geonerd

Geonerd

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 19 2012 - 11:36 AM

Dude, the movie you are looking for is not a surfing movie but a Windsurfing movie and it is called Windrider. Nicole Kidman appears very young.... hope thats the one

#20 of 22 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,037 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 30 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hey there Geonerd welcome to HTF. Btw which movie request are you answering, this original one was nearly the years ago.
facebook.com/whotony