Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stuffing Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Tyson

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 12:21 PM

When you stuff a sealed box with wool or fiberglass, does it have any other effect besides fooling the driver in to "seeing" a bigger box? IE, is efficiency or any other parameter effected by stuffing the box?
"Remember Sammy Jenkins"

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 03:17 PM

Gees Tyson I can't you asking this.... Posted Image

It absorbs part of the rear wave converting it to heat (=frictional loss). Depending on the damping material used and the driver's passband, it absorbs the higher frequencies coming from the driver. Also depending on the passband it can decrease certain standing waves. And if too much of it is used, the efficiency drops.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Tyson

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 04:24 PM

Hehe. How's the house coming? We'll have to get together again, I got some nice scotch to share :-) (Balvenie Double Wood). The funny thing is I'm not using the stuffing for a subwoofer, but for a pair of headphones :-) They have good drivers but poor/flimsy ear cup construction (hollow w/no acoustic treatment, and flimsy plastic), so I've re-inforced the cups and stuffed it with acoustically absorbent material. Made a nice improvement in sound, but it seems quieter overall, so thats why I was wondering about the effects on efficiency of stuffing an enclosuure behind a driver.
"Remember Sammy Jenkins"

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JoeFish

JoeFish

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 24 2003 - 02:09 AM

mmmm Balvenie. Posted Image If you like that, give The Macallan a try. The 12 is good, the 18 is exquisite.

-Joe

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Tyson

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted September 24 2003 - 04:39 AM

Got Macallans already, about 3/4th's already drank :-) Also have Highland Park at the moment, good stuff too. Highland Park is more peaty than Balvenie (which is only slightly peaty), and Macallans (which is not peaty at all). My favorite peaty scotch has got to be Lagavulin (very nice, but not for neophytes :-) )
"Remember Sammy Jenkins"

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   CarlDais

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted September 24 2003 - 03:26 PM

Try Oban 18 year is all we have in OKC. If you like Highland...Oban will please you. Have you ever given some single Malt Irish whiskey a try? There are even some very nice Peat smoked Single Malt Irish.... soooo much better thant he usual Bushmills or Jameson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users