What's new

VH1'a 50 greatest album covers, did anyone see it and what are your opinions? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I saw it, and thought that they missed out on alot of great album covers. I've seen greater ones than the ones they showed. Where the hell was the album covers from the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, the Moody Blues, Iron Maiden, Metallica, the Misfits, Megadeth, Bob Dylan, Jethro Tull, etc. And they could've picked better ones for Pink Floyd and Kiss. To me Wish You Were Here is the best Pink Floyd album cover and Destroyer is the best album cover for Kiss, not Dark Side of the Moon and Hotter Than Hell, but what do I know. I'm no expert, but I think they passed over alot of great album covers and picked alot of stupid ones. So what are all of your opinions?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I am a huge Kiss fan and Hotter than Hell is my least favorite cover. I am much more a fan of any of the big four mid-70's album covers like "Dressed to Kill", "Destroyer", "Love Gun" or "Rock and Roll Over".

I do agree that many are debatable at best. I would have chosen "In Through the Out Door" by Zeppelin over "Houses of the Holy" and what was so special about that one by the Who where they piss on the damn column? Big deal.

Prince's "Purple Rain"? It's just him on a bike. I don't get many of the selections, but I only saw from like 30 to 1...I missed the first twenty or so.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
:rolleyes:The Dixie Chicks: Home. They are just standing there.

Some of my favorites are listed, Jane's Addiction, Nirvana. Overall this list is very weak though. I too would list Destroyer as the best KISS cover, followed by Creatures Of The Night and Love Gun. I can't believe they didn't include King Crimson's: In The Court Of The Crimson King. That is a classic cover.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Very debatable list. Chalk up another vote for Destroyer as the best KISS album cover. I would have thought Megadeth's Youthanasia would have made the list. One of my favorites.Youthanasia

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Worst list ever!

How could anyone say the Blink 182 or Korn album covers are better than Sgt. Pepper or Satanic Majesty's Request ? (I can't remember if Sticky Fingers with the working zipper made the list.)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
i wonder if andy warhol would have used a button fly it would have made the list?

lists like that always piss people off, that one is no exception. seems to have started from covers in the 70s, the 50s & 60s are nada.

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
as an avid vinyl collector, i have a hard time allowing anything not released on vinyl to actually be considered for greatest album cover. i did not see the airing of this special, but after viewing the list, i agree it is quite lacking. sticky fingers is a cool album cover, as was the velvet underground and nico one. i love the who's next album content-wise, but the cover is...eh. nevermind i like - inside and out. DSOTM is a classic due to its popularity and iconic stature, but i like Wish You Were Here, or even Animals more for their covers. And everyone should know that Madonna's True Blue album is a better cover than Like A Virgin. And it looks especially good framed next to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy - contrasting colors and all. The Ramones is again a classic album, but not an overly thrilling cover. London Calling, however, is both. then it's all the way down to NWA for the next great cover. and while Rumours is an excellent album, the cover is fairly pedestrian - earlier Fleetwood Mac covers were better, or even Mirage. As plain as it is, Never Mind The Bollocks is a perfect album cover, illustrating the "instant art" of the punk era. Purple Rain - "Great album; deeply flawed movie." And boring cover. I think there is a problem whereby we (and by "we" i mean those who made out this list, and even those of us who think of album covers as art) have a hard time distinguishing "great" album from "great" album cover. and maybe we can't in some cases. AC/DC's Back In Black is a pretty plain cover, but it suits itself so perfectly. i personally think that Sting's Soul Cages album is the best album of the past 15 years, but the cover is BLEAH. whereas Some Girls by the Rolling Stones has a GREAT cover, but is substantially subpar compared to their earlier efforts. and this list, unfortunately, cannot even claim this myopic viewpoint for much of its content. and granted, it is VH-1, the worldwide leader in list shows (not counting David Letterman), but really, Home by the Dixie Chicks? making a giant leap to the side is this, what about texture? there are many album covers that had a specific feel to them, in terms of texture, that is not reproduced in the CD equivalent. Deja Vu from Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young for example. the Sticky Fingers and Velvet Underground covers. led zeppelin 2. the feel and look went hand-in-hand on album covers - not that i want to make this a vinyl lament thread. anyway, where's Cheap Thrills, Draw the Line, Pretenders II, most of the Beatles covers, Off the Wall, Kind of Blue, Jimi Hendrick's albums, the rest of Led Zeppelin, more Pink Floyd, Born to Run...enough. I have diarrhea of the post tonight.

david

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe that Roger Dean's Yes covers didn't make the list. Or how about Buckingham Nicks?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Roger Dean ain't makin' no list. In their eyes: pretentious, silly, flamboyant, etc.

Personally, Relayer is my favorite of all time.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Some really bad omissions like Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and A delicate Sound of Thunder.

Houses of the Holy may be the worst Led Zeppelin cover. I, II, III and IV are just miles above it. In Through The Out Door with it's paper bag wrapper and six different covers was an ingenious marketing move.

I'd also give my vote to Blind Faith's self titled album and Pink Floyd.

I looked at Christina Aguilera's cover (#46) and I decided not to waste any more time on this list. It's a joke.

Ralph

StephenA

Screenwriter
Yes I am Oscar. Have been all my life. They do have some great album covers, at least in my opinion. I guess they aren't mainstream enough these days to get much recognition, especially among the young crowds. Guess that's what I get for not following music trends of my age group and liking other stuff.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
A list that would be smarter, but too smart for the average Vh1/MTV viewer (we here at the HTF are NOT average) would be the top 50 Album cover Designers. You'd get a lot more album covers in and probably please more people.

Whenever I go to used bookstores I look for those old album cover books. So far I've only found the two Blue Note books and one for Soundtrack albums.

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
This was not a list, this is the kind of crap you see all the time on tv. Where were Genesis , they act as if they don't exist. VH1 had a Genesis behind the music, yet they couldn't throw Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, or Trick of the Tail in there, I know that I am a huge Genesis fan(I have the signed and numbered Paul Whitehead Nursery Cryme print framed on my wall), but any one can see that these are works of art, and not some stupid picture of a band, I mean the Velvet Underground was kinda cool, but a banana, come on. Needless to say, I think that this is VH1s list for ignorant people who have no musical taste beyond what radio and televison tells them to like.

Derek

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
where was:

Kansas - Point Of No Return
Boston - Boston
Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies
Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Pepper's...

it goes on. what a crappy list...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks