What's new

The High School/College Thread (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Stressed out from schoolwork? Need help on homework problems? Want to vent?

Well, I'm struggling with graduate physiology right now, and it's killing me. It's not hard so much as it is voluminous (if there is such a word).

So take a load off folks. Let's see if we can make it through all of this together.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ah, i love living on campus... It feels more like summer school than real school since classes aren't as densely packed one after another like in high school...

The work is not hitting me yet, but my first big assignment is due next monday, its a philosophy paper, 800-1000 words :eek:

My math prof makes things way more complicated than it should be... I didn't take Calculus in HighSchool, so I might be having a rough time here, but I've always been decent at math (hey im asian ;) )

Oh yeah, if ANYBODY has any advice on how to read all these damn textbooks, readings, articles for my communications and philosophy courses, do tell, i can't seem to concentrate! My mind wanders and I realize 5 minutes later i have no idea what i've been reading for the last 5 minutes

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
800-1000 words
Haha...can be done in an hour. I'm currently working on a research project that is "recommended to at least be 75 pages".
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
That's not a "big" assignment, more like a writing exercise.
Let's put things in perspective here. He's a freshman writing about something that isn't his life's work. 800 words is pretty daunting.

I've graduated, and I'm in the middle of writing a novel. I think 800 is quite a bit. I've written somewhere in the area of 175 pages (10 font size, single space), but I think 800 words is still a lot.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Nick, it may sound weird, but try listening to thunderstorm or ocean/crashing waves cds while reading. I had the same problem as you but the crashing waves and t-storm sounds really minimized my wandering mind. It's worth a shot!

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Hey, when I was a freshman 800 words was a writing exercise. It all comes down to the classes you take.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
800 Words was daunting--in 10th grade (I'm a high school senior now). Math on the other hand. . .

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hey hey hey, gimme a break, 800-1000 words was like a BIG thing in High School, and I'm just barely two weeks into University...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
800? nothing. And I went to school for a fluff degree-aviation :D
hell I could muster 800 words on how to execute an ILS approach in probably an hour. I can shovel it with the best of them :D
I did have a friend that was a double major, one being English. MAN he could shovel BS fast.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Nick,
I recommend you watch "Summer School"- "...and this is why we admire Rick Baker very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very,...... much." Just do that about 750 times and you should be ok. :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
800 words is around 3 pages. That's pretty slack for college isn't it? I never had less than 5 even in freshman core classes. I can remember them requiring that just for essay questions in those worthless english classes on finals and midterms.

College is 4 years of fun. 1 semester of actually learning things you will need. 3.5 years of taking fluff, more or less just classes to prove that you can go to college and work hard enough to get a degree (hello english paper about feminism, that's worth a few thousands dollars of higher learning!). The real learning doesn't start until A) you get a job and get on the job training or B) go back to school after undergrad for advanced degrees, IE law school, med, masters, etc.. Evidence of this is shown when you apply that require only an undergraduate degree and all they care about is if you have the diploma, no grades required to be shown.

But, it's fun and gives you 4 years to mature and figure out what you want to actually do with your life.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
School doesn't start for me until Thursday. We have the weird quarter system over here. But I do don't dread it so much as I dread the LSAT, which I'm taking on 10/04. Wish me luck.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
1000 words... 4 pages is a breeze. That was half the size of my PROSPECTUS for my thesis. I'm actually studying now for my GRE, which I'm taking next Monday. I haven't taken a math class since I was a Junior in High School. That was 7 years ago. I hate math. I majored in Communications (Rhetorical Theory with a side of applied and Org Comm) so if you need any help with those subjects, feel free to email me. I'm more than happy to help out!

--Justin Cleveland
Ripon College '03

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You know what I absolutely hate? Waking up in a middle of a lecture.

I was in my immunobiology class, and for some reason I was just dead tired and sleepy. About halfway through the lecture, I just blanked out. With ten minutes to go, I suddenly wake up, and the professor was talking about tickover and Complement. She mentioned something about classical and MASP pathways for complement, and I was like "WTF?"

Is it just my imagination, or are there no biology majors at the HTF? Seems everybody is into chemistry, physics, or English here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks