-

Photo
- - - - -

David Blaine's 44 Day Starvation Stunt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 of 88 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,343 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted September 20 2003 - 04:52 AM

Posted Image

US illusionist/nutcase David Blaine's latest stunt is to starve himself for 44 days in a glass box hanging next to Tower Bridge, London. With only water to keep him going. It's been two weeks now and well we Brits ain't having any more of this shit, yobs have been pelting his 'cage' with eggs and sausages and whatever. One guy even climbed up and tried to cut the chain holding the box up!Posted Image
Anyway yesterday Paul McCartney decided to pay him a visit...

"Sir Paul McCartney had a four-letter bust-up yesterday — after taking pals to see David Blaine dangling in his box.

The ex-Beatle FLIPPED at a photographer taking his picture, PUSHED him in the chest and LET RIP with a four-letter torrent at bystanders.

Macca, 61, ranted at the snapper: “Listen mate, I’ve come to see this stupid c*** and you are not going to take a picture of me tonight.”

The foul-mouthed superstar was with a group of pals in the early hours after a night out in London.

He told a fan who asked to shake his hand: “F*** off. I am not shaking your hand. I am a pedestrian on a private visit.”

As he stormed off in a rage Macca blamed a member of his entourage for tipping off the cameraman, screaming: “You are bang out of order — you are fired."

Posted Image

http://www.thesun.co...3432809,00.html

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#2 of 88 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 05:18 AM

I found especially funny the guy who flew a model helicopter close to the cage dangling a hamburger Posted Image
No longer here.

#3 of 88 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 01:44 PM

That doesn't sound like the Paul I like to pretend I know.

What exactly is the point of this stunt?

#4 of 88 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 01:47 PM

Can't he at least put a shirt on!?!

Quote:
yobs have been pelting his 'cage' with eggs and sausages and whatever.

Posted Image Man, I wish I was there.

#5 of 88 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 07:14 PM

I did have a fantasy that the guy cutting the cable succeeded just as Paul McCartney was standing directly under the cage.

You're right, I'm sick.

#6 of 88 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 08:30 PM

Is that because of a dislike of McCartney Mr. Markworthy or just because you fancy your chances with Heather?
No longer here.

#7 of 88 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,343 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 11:51 PM

Quote:
What exactly is the point of this stunt?

Isn't this the same guy who was encased in a block of ice for a few weeks?
Six weeks without food? Is that possible? Maybe he just wanted to lose some weight. A bit extreme though. Rumors are he has a bunch of girlie mags in his box, keep boredom at bay, probably made of edible paper too... mmmm edible girlie mags... hey, very good idea that... should go down well... must patent it... Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#8 of 88 OFFLINE   Blu

Blu

Screenwriter

• 1,360 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 02:34 AM

I don't understand why they are being so mean/rude to this man. I mean I laughed at some of the inventive things they were doing with the helicopter and all but still, exactly why do they feel a need to torture this man?

#9 of 88 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 03:01 AM

It is possible to go 100+ days without food, but only a few days without water.

#10 of 88 OFFLINE   Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 03:09 AM

David Blain is satan.

#11 of 88 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,343 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 04:35 AM

For some extreme British reactions to David Blaine's latest stunt check out this link. I laughed my arse off reading this. WARNING bad language and opinions may offend.

http://www.justramit...stramit-139.htm

Lord of the Hubs

#12 of 88 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 05:21 AM

Quote:
Is that because of a dislike of McCartney Mr. Markworthy or just because you fancy your chances with Heather?

I plead the Fifth.

#13 of 88 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 10:31 AM

Why all this vitriol for David Blaine? It's one thing not to be interested but when a knight of the realm goes ballistic over a TV stunt one has to wonder, 'have they nothing better to do with their time?'

Has he been a media bad boy? Molested children and nuns? Dated a Spice Girl?

I think the comparison to Bobby Sands in that bit was in poor taste but it's nothing compared to the outright anger he seems to be generating. If his "bird" says they were never treated like that in America it's because nobody here gave a damn. Just how does such a stunt offend people in the UK? I think it's stupid myself but if he wants to do it then so what?
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#14 of 88 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,343 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 11:24 AM

Quote:
Just how does such a stunt offend people in the UK? I think it's stupid myself but if he wants to do it then so what?

Well I suppose it depends on the stunt itself, if Blaine had made Buckingham Palace suddenly vanish, than the Brits will probably cheer instead of jeer. Posted Image

The moral of the tale seems to be: Blaine can do any silly stunt he wants as long as the Great British Public don't get wind of it, than it's 'lets all go throw sausages at that silly bugger' time.Posted Image

ps.The rumors that Sir Paul McCartney had eggs in his pockets when he went to see Blaine is unsubstantiated.

Lord of the Hubs

#15 of 88 OFFLINE   Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt

Screenwriter

• 2,344 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 08:14 PM

Blaine's reps asked the Guinness Book of Records to look into his latest stunt, but Guinness declined as they no longer record or encourage records that involve voluntary starvation.

However, if they did Blaine wouldn't even be close. He's going for 44 days, but the current record for fasting is 385 days by a British prisoner on a hunger strike. The record for the longest period of total isolation is 141 days held by an American who was buried in a box two metres below ground.

Besides, Blaine is the Anti-Christ. He and his Blainist followers must be stopped. Where are the Super Fun Friends when you need them?

Adam

(yeah, I watch way, WAY too much South Park. Posted Image)

#16 of 88 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:18 AM

I find the more boorish responses of my fellow Brits rather depressing, but not surprising. Brits have a tendency to react badly to anyone who does 'look at me! I want to be the centre of attention' activities. And when it's for something that's essentially pointless, then the critical floodgates open.

#17 of 88 OFFLINE   AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Where are the Super Fun Friends when you need them?
Quote:
(yeah, I watch way, WAY too much South Park. )

Obviously not enough it was the "Super Best Friends". Posted Image

Quote:
I found especially funny the guy who flew a model helicopter close to the cage dangling a hamburger

Did someone really do this? That is hysterical!
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#18 of 88 OFFLINE   wally

wally

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
Just how does such a stunt offend people in the UK? I think it's stupid myself but if he wants to do it then so what?

For one thing, he was tying up traffic on Tower Bridge something awful during my visit, 9/5-9/13. I’d be a little teed if some wing nut was making my already tedious London travel tediouser.

The several days I walked past, at the start of all this, the atmosphere seemed more like a good natured, curious gathering. It was getting more combative toward the end of the week.

#19 of 88 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted September 22 2003 - 07:56 AM

Somebody should put something sweet and sticky in a super soaker and coat the outside of the glass. Then the bees and insects will do the rest... that would be funny...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#20 of 88 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 08:01 AM

The greatest trick David Blaine ever pulled was getting into Josie Maran's knickers.

That's underwear for you non-Brit folks. Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow