What's new

What's the latest on Blade Runner? (1 Viewer)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone knows what's the latest news on the new Blade Runner DVD that's being put together.
I know Charles de Lauzirika is pretty active on alt.video.dvd and alt.fan.blade-runner but I lost my usenet access sometime ago so I haven't checked in for the latest.
Anyone knows when to expect it? Thought it was meant to come out at the end of the year...
Frank

DannyS

Second Unit
I'm going to recollect from what I have remembered. Hell, you probably know all this already!..
The DVD was put into production due to the petition that was sent to WB. I participated in that and have compiled an extensive account of the "workprint" story. The workprint was pirated and sold on ebay. From that the BR messageboards exploded and a cry went out to release this version on DVD. Thus the petitiion was started and the rest is history. The documentary "on the edge of Blade Runner" was screened in the UK on Channel 4 nearly a year ago. It was a brillianly extensive look at the film and included the first ever showing of the hospital scene with full audio. The scene seemed to be very clean indeed, and due to the fact that the audio had apparently gone missing years ago, this was a revalation. This was obiously going into the disc. As was the documentary itself. Ridley Scott had reportedly completed a commentary free of charge, rumors of Both versions going onto the disc surfaced, then rumors of yet another new version compliling the workprint and the directors cut with optional voice over track by Ford. All of a sudden, Scott signs on for Hannibal, the Hannibal disc is announced and WB halts all work on other projects in order to complete "more current movies to disc" .
Basically the Blade Runner disc is about 80 % completed, if not finished. And it's languishing where Back to the future is. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT! :)
[Edited last by DannyS on July 27, 2001 at 12:13 PM]

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Frank:
Basically the Blade Runner disc is about 80 % completed, if not finished. And it's languishing where Back to the future is. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT! :)
No offense intended, Danny, but your post above is about 80% incorrect. I know it's not intentional -- there have been a ton of rumors out there, and as we all know, internet rumors have a funny (and annoying) way of becoming perceived as indisputable fact. But I do thank you for the all-caps caveat at the end there. :)
Ridley has not recorded commentary for the "Blade Runner" Special Edition (yet.) The "Hannibal" DVD had nothing to do with "Blade Runner's" progress (or lack thereof.) Basically, we're all trying to get this one as close to perfection as possible. That takes time, resources and even some luck. But Warner Bros. is on the case, and all I can say right now is: So far, so good.
It's going to be several months before you hear anything solid about the BR:SE. So sit back, relax and enjoy the bounty of other great DVDs that will come out in the meantime.

DannyS

Second Unit
Ha ah hahhaa! At last my mind is at rest. So, they were all rumours and nothing more. Thank goodness I put DON'T QUOTE ME. I hate to spread rumours and thank goodness they have been stopped and clarified by Charlie. This disc really is a mystery isn't it. I personally would love a seamlessly branched verison of the original and Directors cut with the voice over on a selectable audio track and the workprint on a second disc with extras. That would be so cool.
[Edited last by DannyS on July 27, 2001 at 03:48 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least we already have the film on DVD. You know, it's not a bad transfer when viewed in anamorphic widescreen. I can hack it.
Whatever happened to that fellow who used to give us the inside skinny on the forthcoming SE--you know, "Johnny Malone"? And, Charlie, may I ask: Are you "in the loop" re this DVD?
------------------
2001-a.jpg

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
Ridley has not recorded commentary for the "Blade Runner" Special Edition (yet.)
I could have sworn that I read an interview a few months ago where Scott actually said he just recorded a commentary track and he did it for free. Of course, the interviewer could have misquoted Scott, who may have said that he was going to do the commentary for free. And now I can't find the darn thing....aaagghh! :)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
And, Charlie, may I ask: Are you "in the loop" re this DVD?
Yeah Jack, I think you could say that...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...interview.html
This article is from a year ago, so the info contained therein is a little out-of-date. But it should still give you some background on what I do. Also keep an eye out for the DVD Producers panel transcript from the San Diego Comic Con, which The Digital Bits should be posting on Monday.
I know Total Film quoted Ridley as saying he had done a commentary track for "Blade Runner," but I can assure you, it's simply not true. He did participate in the excellent Channel 4 (UK) documentary "On The Edge of Blade Runner," so perhaps that's what caused the confusion.

DarrenA

Second Unit
Charlie,
I think I speak for a lot of members here when I say that I am truly humbled by your presence here. You have truly produced some of the best DVDs to date, and I greatly appreciate the effort you're putting towards the upcoming Blade Runner:SE DVD.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

DannyS

Second Unit
Gulp! I did not realise who Charlie was. All I can do is apologise profusely with respect to my earlier posts. All I was doing was recounting my memories on stuff I had read regarding this issue. Now everything had been "cleared up" let me just say how lucky I feel to have been corrected by "The guy in charge". I also know now that Blade Runner is in the best of care, and it's gonna be a major event when it is released.

TimSniffin

Stunt Coordinator
I know Total Film quoted Ridley as saying he had done a commentary track for "Blade Runner," but I can assure you, it's simply not true. He did participate in the excellent Channel 4 (UK) documentary "On The Edge of Blade Runner," so perhaps that's what caused the confusion.
Eeeep! Didn't know I could stick bothfeet in my mouth at the same time....thank you for clearing that up, Charlie, and thanks for all the hard work you're doing on Blade Runner and other films. Its nice to know that guys like you are working on the movies we love.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie wrote:
Ridley has not recorded commentary for the "Blade Runner" Special Edition (yet.) The "Hannibal" DVD had nothing to do with "Blade Runner's" progress (or lack thereof.) Basically, we're all trying to get this one as close to perfection as possible. That takes time, resources and even some luck. But Warner Bros. is on the case, and all I can say right now is: So far, so good.
It's going to be several months before you hear anything solid about the BR:SE. So sit back, relax and enjoy the bounty of other great DVDs that will come out in the meantime.
Charlie,
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I'm glad you're still around (I too have stayed away from alt.video.dvd).
And thanks for the info too, I wasn't really expecting to get a full-blown press release, but I simply wanted to know how things were going, basically just to reassure myself that things are still moving with the DVD. I can't tell you just how glad I am that my all-time favorite movie is in such good hands.
Can't wait for Hannibal and Legend, they'll keep me occupied until BR:SE comes out...
wink.gif

F

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Charlie,
Any idea if the new transfer will be "windowboxed" like the previous LD and DVD?
I always felt like I was loosing a bit too much realestate on my 16x9 monitor with black bars on ALL sides of the picture!
Hoping that the new transfer and audio looks & sounds great. This is one I can't wait to see on the projector when I finally get it! And that Vangelis score is amazing but the previous LD & DVD really had a thin and brittle sound that didn't do the score justice.
Looking forward to how this film is revisited...in terms of audio and video quality as well as new content!
thnx,
dave

Rolando

Screenwriter
Any chance Mr Charlie that you could tell for sure whether or not both cuts (theater and Director) will be on this SE? Is it even being considered? I know you can't go wrong by having both but a lot of people will surely be sad if either cut is missing.
Thanks in advance.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
As if there were only two cuts of this movie! I have only seen the theatrical release and the so-called "director's cut", but Future Noir lists quite a few more, such as the workprint.
I have no idea how many versions will be on the disc, but I trust I won't be disappointed. Will there be any supplements focusing entirely on the differences between the various cuts, by any chance? Now that would be way cool...
I should stop or else I'm gonna start creating a fantasy features list. I trust Charlie has enough ideas to work on already. If not, e-mail me :)
------------------

DannyS

Second Unit
My ultimate Blade Runner SE.
4 Disc set
Disc 1: Original Theatrical release, 16:9, Dolby EX, DTS ES
Disc 2: The definitive Cut, 16:9, Dolby EX, DTS ES, commentary by ridley Scott, Isolated score.
Disc 3: The workprint. Commentary by Michael Arick and Paul M Sammon
Disc 4: Supplemental: On The edge of Blade Runner Doc, Deleted scenes Hospital, footage of Brion James on the ceiling etc.. Trailers..On set featurettes, Cinefex article, etc, etc..
Too much? :) I can but dream..... :)
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I'd like a 4-disc set (I'd gladly pay whatever price they asked) of BR:SE, I don't think it's going to happen. For all intented purposes I think we can safely assume that we'll be getting a 2-disc set.
With that in mind, the other day I was pondering how possible could it be to fit as many different versions of the movie in one disc. Would it be possible to use seamless branching to have at least 3 different versions on disc 1?
Now bear in mind that I know as much as the next guy about seamless branching, but this is how I would plan it:
Disc 1 - Blade Runner : Special Edition cut, also including the Original Version (i.e. with voice over and happy ending), and the 1992 Director's Cut. Commentary by Ridley Scott, commentary by Paul M. Sammon.
Disc 2 - Special Features, including the BBC documentary and everything else that has already been mentioned.
Now then, how to fit 3 versions in 1 disc? Divide the movie into the following tracks:
Track 1 - From the opening titles up to just before the Unicorn Dream sequence.
Track 2 - Unicorn Dream sequence.
Track 3 - From after the dream sequence and up to the elevator doors closing (DC's end).
Track 4 - Happy ending.
Audio tracks would include:
Track 1 - Original with voice-over narration.
Track 2 - 1992 version without VO.
So, in order to watch the Original Version you would play video tracks 1, 3 and 4 through seamless branching, with audio track 1. And to play the 1992 director's cut you would play video tracks 1 through 3 with audio track 2.
Now, the problem with this is that the commentary would probably be available only for one version, because of the difference in lenght.
And if the DVD includes a definitive, final, director's cut with added scenes (i.e. Holden's Hospital scene, etc), then simply add more video tracks and connect as needed.
I know this is all very iffy, but maybe something like this could work, but even so, nothing can guarantee that we'll get that...
Any thoughts?
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks