What's new

*** Official UNDERWORLD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I just saw Underworld tonight at a sneak preview, and thought I'd weigh in with a couple of comments. Let me say before anything else that I enjoyed it immensely--it's a fun movie and was actually quite a bit better than expected, especially after the negative reviews in places like AICN.

Ok, let's get the worst thing out of the way first: the relationship between Michael (Scott Speedman) and Selene (Kate Beckinsale) is extremely weak. I think I understand some of the underlying motivations for the two, but this is one very important aspect of the movie that really needed to be better fleshed out. How bad is it? It's on the scale of Anakin and Padme in AOTC. However...*SPOILER AHEAD*

I think the relationship between Michael and Selene isn't explicitly romantic in nature. We have that one quick kiss, but that was to distract him when she was chaining him up. Also, much of the "tension" between them is actually created by other characters believing there to be a romance between the two.

The good news is, there is quite a deep backstory to the whole movie, with a more-complicated-than-your-average-bear plot. I would say that it's got a deeper backstory than say, Blade, which I absolutely love. There's enough there that I'd like to learn more about the history of the Vampires and Lycans--a good thing in my book. For some, it will seem like the movie falls short with its machinations, twists and turns. Some will think that the twists are pretty obvious, but I think if you just go with the ride that the story takes you on, it'll be pretty enjoyable. If you're sitting there, constantly trying to outsmart and outthink where the movie is going, then you're going to be disappointed. (Hey, nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do--I've done the same with many a movie!)

As for some of the issues that have been raised in this thread, I've got some thoughts to add.

GUNS--There are a lot of guns and gunfire in this movie. If the idea of Vampires and Werewolves using guns to fight each other turns you off, RUN from this movie. If, however, you accept the idea that, like humans, Vampires and Werewolves find the firepower of guns far more efficient for killing each other than claw-to-fang combat, you'll have a blast.

"MYTHOLOGY"--I use "mythology" because I don't subscribe to the idea of a unified theory of vampires and werewolves. The "mythology" that we've grown used to, e.g. sunlight kills vampires, silver bullets kill werewolves, etc. have always been tinkered with, altered and discarded. Let's face it: there's no canonical record of the history, biology, or physiology of vampires and werewolves. Bram Stoker himself excercised creative license when he appropriated folk beliefs in vampires when he wrote "Dracula". I think we all have our favorite little bits of "mythology" when it comes to werewolves and, in particular, vampires. But I think we need to be prepared to see some of these come and go if we're to continue getting movies involving these creatures. Besides, I think part of the fun of these movies is seeing what the film makers decided to go with (or not). I won't say what Underworld does with the "mythology", but there are elements which are retained, some that are discarded, and a whole bunch which are simply not referred to or dealt with.

Personally, I hope this movie does well because I'd like to see more of the story. Hopefully, some of you guys will go see it--I think it'd be fun to discuss some aspects of the story.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
There is a behind the scenes look and preview of Underworld, hosted by Kate Beckinsale, Scott Speedman and director Len Wiseman airing on the Sci-Fi channel this Thursday 9/18/03 at 9PM.

Eujin, I'm jealous. I have to wait until Friday. :frowning:

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Unlike most of these behind the scenes things that air before the opening weekend, I think I might actually watch this one. If I'm not mistaken, I think this is Wiseman's most directorial effort--pretty impressive for a first outing I think.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I saw Kate Beckinsale on some late night talk show last night (forgot the guys name) and WOW!!

That woman is BEAUTIFUL! Looked very different from all the commercials of the movie that ive seen.

She had long curly blonde hair and was just a knock out!

Cant wait for Friday!!

Todd K

Second Unit
Well, Eujin, I caught the preview last night as well and I would agree with your comments.

I enjoyed the movie. I went in with a little higher than normal expectations and I wasn't disappointed. There's a good backstory and the relationship between Michael and Selene wasn't the lovey-dovey type.

It has its own take on the vampire mythology. Sunlight can kill, but no mention is made of stakes through the heart or anything. I don't know anything about werewolves, but I thought silver was deadly to vampires as well, if driven through the heart.

The characters were pretty good -- many not necessarily good or evil.

The cast is also largely unknown to American audiences, which I really enjoyed. There's no cheesy humor, either.

I'll give it 3.5 out of 5, or maybe between 7 and 7.5 out of ten.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I saw Kate Beckinsale on some late night talk show last night (forgot the guys name) and WOW!!
That lucky bastard is Craig Kilborn. Of the major talk shows, he's most likely to have the hot actresses and models. If I had a show like his, I would do exactly the same thing :)

Good to hear the movie does not suck (although there might be some sucking in it?)

//Ken

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Underworld". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Underworld" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I'm one of those movie-goers who likes to pretend to be a snob and will normally try to avoid movies like this...

But a vampirial, gun-slinging Kate Beckinsale in tight leather?

I'M THERE!

:D

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I like how they didn't blow their load with the film too early and show the werewolves running around in the first 10 minutes. We saw some teasers, but not the whole thing.

Also opened up for a sequal pretty well.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I just saw this movie and absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed the backstory which explained the reasons for the war; but also wish they would of gave us more information about the werewolves and the origins of the vampires and werwolves. I did find it interesting that the werewolves were once slaves to the vampires. I also agree that the "romance" between Selene and Michael was kinda weak.

I had a long day, so I'll post more tomorrow. One last comment: that fight scene between Michael and Victor was totally kick ass! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I was worried with all of the negative reviews floating around but after just seeing I must say that I really got into this movie. Every little bit. The very first jump still gives me chills. I don't know why but that has to be one of the coolest shots, just how she lands and starts walking. Beautiful. Which leads me to my next point. Kate Beckinsale. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Her eyes, her hair, the few strands that kept covering her eyes, the leather. All :emoji_thumbsup: :D It is hard to believe that this is the same woman from Pearl Harbor. Very different look and part.

I agree the relationship was downplayed quite abit which probably hurt that connection in the long run, but that is a small fault.

The rest of the story and the back story of the characters was well thought out, especially when we have a change of heart for a couple of the key characters.

I thought the lichens looked kinda hokey in the trailers but other than when they are running on the walls they looked pretty good. They reminded me a lot of Altered Beast on Genesis.

Did the sound seem kinda hot or sloppy to anyone else? It may have just been the theatre I saw it in, but it sounded like it was constantly full of mids and highs, and little grounding bass. Don't get me wrong, there was some good bass in key scenes as well, but the overall movie felt like it was screaming at me the entire time.

I very much look forward to the sequel which I sure hope they do.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I thought you couldn't see vampires in mirrors?

I'm going to fight hard not to nitpick this one. I'll just say that this is a good but flawed movie. On the theater vs. rental scale, this is good enough for a theater viewing. I enjoyed myself overall and didn't regret the purchase.

(OK, one more general nitpick--I can't resist. I hate when movies define some rules then break them. That's all I'll say.)

(Grrr, must mention one more nitpick since I have less will power than the Trix bunny. That end scene where Kate kills her mentor
made me :rolleyes:so badly.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For X-Men fans, you have to wonder if maybe Nightcrawler was the product of a union between a vamp and a werewolf... Heh.

I didn't enjoy that acting from the guy (Shane Brolly) playing Kraven, they needed someone with more skill and intensity for that role.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I didn't enjoy that acting from the guy (Shane Brolly) playing Kraven, they needed someone with more skill and intensity for that role.
I totally agree. Evenry time he tried to act intense and angry, but I felt he just didn't pull it off, especially in comparisson to his counterpart Lucian, played by Michael Sheen, who did an excellent job.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I was really dissappointed by this. It just seemed to go on forever and ever, never stopping just...ugh. The trailer was so cool and the film is so dry...imagine that. I did like the 'Resident Evil 2' trailer before it though.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
While I enjoyed the movie, I'll be a happy camper if I never see Shane Brolly in another role. He was just horrible.

-Dave

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I just got back from the movie and was pleased. The movie seemed loud a lot of the time. My teenage nephew kept plugging his ears when things got loud. The movie was pretty good. I didn't care that they threw some of the mythology out the window. Also, it was weird never to see an ounce of daylight.

I didn't feel anything for the love story between Selene and Michael. They should have worked on that some more. Kate Beckinsale sure is nice to look at. I think Amelia died way too early. She looked great walking around on the train though. I would have liked to see her more. In the trailers, I actually thought Amelia was Selene.

I did like how they tied it all up at the end. I don't like the way Viktor died. There should have been another fight. Good action and not a bad storyline. There are much worse monster movies. Thumbs up from me.

I do have to mention that I met some of the cast at the San Diego ComicCon maybe 6 weeks ago. Here's a link to a picture:

http://groups.msn.com/jon619/miscell...oto&PhotoID=21

Ms. Beckinsale is pretty, but I think she laid the makeup on too thick IMO. Is the guy on the left Kraven?

Mickey P

Agent
I was going to go see this movie anyway, but after reading all these great comments, I cant wait now. I usually skip the first week or two a movie comes out because of the crowds, and I did skip the premiere week, but Im definately going this coming weekend!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks