Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Letter-Box Eliminator

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 12:49 PM

Saw this and thought I should share.Samsung Multiformat Progressive-Scan DVD Player/VCR Combo with Letter-Box Eliminator Posted Image

Now I just need to get ride of my 16x9 projector.
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.

THE LOFT

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 01:46 PM

[quote] EZ View letter-box eliminator allows you to drop ugly letter-box bars with 1 touch [quote] "Ugly"? Methinks a bunch of letters to Bust Buy asking them to remove this VERY subjective term are in order. It's the principle of the thing.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 02:53 PM

I think they could be on to something good with this! If the J6Ps buy this player, then we won't deal with complaints from them about black bars on widescreen DVDs! Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   AllanN

AllanN

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 02:53 AM

Does one of its special DVD formats include properly matting a 1.66:1 title to a 1.78:1 (16x9) anamorphic singal?[quote] I think they could be on to something good with this! If the J6Ps buy this player, then we won't deal with complaints from them about black bars on widescreen DVDs! [quote]
Yes, let J6P have there zoom and give us OAR software.
“Aquaba is over there, it’s only a matter of going.” –Lawrence "I am not now, nor have I ever been a psychologist" -Mumford
"...you can't control who gets hit or who doesn't, who falls our of a chopper or why. It ain't up to you. Its just war." -Hoot
"Fear is the path to the dark...

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 03:01 AM

They can have the zoom all that they want. Hell, even Disney says to use the zoom function with BatB. The notion that black bars unequivocally means "ugly" is very disturbing, though. Again, it's not the product. It's the principle. Posted Image

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,094 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 08:52 AM

I still don't get why they can't just enable the pan-and-scan flag, which all players can read, so at least they'll automatically crop the picture. I've seen it enabled on Elite's Drive-In Discs and a couple New Line screener discs.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 12:54 AM

Jesse, probably because the J6Ps would not know how to change their DVD player settings to 4:3 P&S.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Bill Slack

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 05:41 AM

THe P/S flag won't completely crop >1.78 movies either.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 12:54 PM

one very ignorant question what is a J6P? sorry for sounding so stupid
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 02:15 PM

J6P is shorthand for Joe Six Pack (or Jane Six Pack). This is basically a term that encompasses all ignorant people that prefer Pan and Scan over Widescreen. They are the people who shop at Wal-Mart and have very small TVs. Hope this helps. If someone wants to expand, then go right ahead.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 03:36 PM

I buy groceries at Wal Mart and have a 19-inch mono TVCR combo (small by HTF standards), but I do not think I quality as a J6P, just a college student on a tight budget. Posted Image

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,094 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 04:17 AM

I've bought 12-packs of soda at Wal-Mart along with my widescreen movies Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Topher

Topher

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 05:16 AM

I think offensive comments like you just made prove how ignorant you are my friend. Do you think you are somehow "better" than those who shop somewhere different of purchase differently than you? Don't automatically assume that all on this forum are rich, Ivy League graduates who enjoy discussing fine arts and the quirks and shortcomings of those "lesser" than yourself. :wink:
I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   David Susilo

David Susilo

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:48 PM

[quote] They are the people who shop at Wal-Mart and have very small TVs. [quote]
Okay, I guess my 46" HDTV viewed from a distance of 5 feet is considered "very small TV"

oh... and also my friend who drives a Lexus, own a mansion, HT setup with a 60" 4:3 Magnavox and exclusively buying Full-Frame DVD at HMV (he refuses to go to WalMart) by your definition is not a J6P.

ps: you never shopped at Wal-Mart? As a J6P, I envy you, the member of the elite crowd. Posted Image

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Topher

Topher

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted September 23 2003 - 02:13 AM

Posted Image
I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users