-

Photo
- - - - -

Lost in Space: Season 1 Officially Announced - UPDATE & APOLOGY ADDED 10/8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#41 of 128 Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE:
Is it just me or is $80 a high asking price for 29 episodes of a half-hour show with VHS-quality picture? If they aren't spending much on this release, you think they could make it cheaper

Hi Dan,
It's an hour long showPosted Image
You know the price will be down to the fifty-nine dollar range. A miracle it's coming out to begin with! I'm happy.

#42 of 128 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 01:36 PM

Okay, I haven't actually seen the show since I was about 12. Guees I forgot how long it was. Quite reasonable price in line with the rest of Fox's shows then.
My Collection

#43 of 128 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 02:45 PM

But the point I raised earlier remains. If the first episodes released to the general public on VHS were derived from superior elements, what possible reason should I have for buying this set on DVD, considering that these episodes released to the general public are the best ones of the first season anyway? And do these less than stellar VHS masters not have the graphic on-screen "Don't miss next week's episode" or something like that that I was pleasantly surprised to see on these general release VHS copies?

Why Fox can't have the budget to do something just right, is beyond me. Using less than stellar elements when the better elements exist (and what does it say about the management when they forget about what they used for the other VHS releases?) and not fixing that problem is a disgrace.

#44 of 128 Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 03:23 PM

How can you be sure that the elements are "less than stellar"? Or are you just guessing?

I think it´s wiser to wait for the release and THEN judge.

I´m not good at guessing. If I were, I´ll prolly win the Lotto every week and then I would be at my yatch in some Caribbean shore, up to my armpits with gorgeous women and too busy to post here. Posted Image

#45 of 128 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 03:54 PM

"How can you be sure that the elements are "less than stellar"? Or are you just guessing?"

I'm going by the quote attributed to Kevin Burns earlier in this thread about the nature of the elements used for the general release VHS tapes which I think says plenty.

#46 of 128 Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 08 2003 - 11:59 PM

OF COURSE the image quality of a 1 inch tape isn´t that bad if compared with the original fine grain negative, but that doesn´t mean that it´s unwatchable. Kevin Burns said that his copies were "far superior", not that the old ones were "less than stellar".

#47 of 128 Steve_AS

Steve_AS

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted October 09 2003 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
But the point I raised earlier remains. If the first episodes released to the general public on VHS were derived from superior elements, what possible reason should I have for buying this set on DVD, considering that these episodes released to the general public are the best ones of the first season anyway?

I don't agree that they got all the best ones out in that series, but that's just a mileage variance between you and me. The other reason to get them would be that DVDs are better and more compact archival medium than VHS tape; they don't degrade on playback or with normal storage.

I agree, though, that I'd rather they'd gone back to master sources. What it says a about management is probably that the personnel in management has changed a bit since the VHS series was released a few years ago, which is not uncommon in the entertainment industry.

#48 of 128 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 01:36 AM

I have the Unaired Pilot and first few eps from Columbia House and the shows looked Pretty good. But I'm guessing that the increased resolution of DVD will show flaws where the VHS hid them. For the Price Fox is asking for this set, and for the case of longevity of the show I don't see where opting out cheap is the way to go. I will probably get this set as long as I can find a good deal, but Fox if you're reading this take note. There are so many box sets coming now that I have to be pretty choosey on what I buy. I simply cannot afford them all (thou I try) If you try to sleaze by with inferior goods my money can and will go elsewhere.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#49 of 128 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 979 posts

Posted October 10 2003 - 04:56 AM

...dont care when as long as it is coming.
great show.
"the beets in Beta boil better on the burner..."

or was it the BEANS in Beta?

#50 of 128 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 22 2003 - 10:09 PM

Just a quick note here: as was mentioned earlier in the thread, there was confusion because different Fox sources listed different dates for LiS-S1. Some said 1/6, others (including the press release) said 1/13.

I did a run-through this morning, and all Fox sources now agree on the 1/13 date.

I hope noone had any doubts left, but I thought I would just point out that this small matter had been cleared up. All the retailers I checked have changed over to a 1/13 date, except ironically for Amazon (who originally posted that date months and months ago but then was asked to take it down since it was premature). I'm sure Amazon will get caught up soon. But it's the 13th, have no doubts.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#51 of 128 paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 05 2004 - 10:03 AM

getting close.............
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#52 of 128 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 09:13 PM

Details of the UK version - due February 23rd - and some menu screen grabs are online here.

#53 of 128 David Allum

David Allum

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted January 07 2004 - 10:13 PM

Review up at The Digital Bits.

#54 of 128 Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,697 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted January 08 2004 - 03:26 AM

Looks like the image quality is just fine. This happens over and over again on this forum. Someone hears a rumor that a studio is using inferior elements for a release, and it turns out to be false.

Let's see, happened with Snow White, Beaty and the Beast, and now this. Just quit speculating, and wait for the DVD to come out before judging it.

#55 of 128 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,556 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
Looks like the image quality is just fine. This happens over and over again on this forum. Someone hears a rumor that a studio is using inferior elements for a release, and it turns out to be false.

From what I understand, the rumor was not false.

It's my understanding (and perhaps this can be
confirmed during the Fox chat) that Fox used the
original VHS masters rather than doing any additional
restoration. So, in that case if true, they were
from inferior elements.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#56 of 128 paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 08:49 AM

As Dr. Smith would say "The proof is in the pudding, dear boy"
compare these 3 dvd tv products ...look under the dvd features section:

gilligans island box
star trek tos episode
and lastly
lost in space season one box

kinda says it all, I'm sure they wont suck its just that they probably could look better. Yes I will be getting them (of course) and I suggest all fans get them. There will be no season 2 or 3 releases if 1 doesnt sell i'm sure. But they may yet remaster 2 and 3...who knows. But I'm still totally psyched about these finally coming out. I'm not hesitating one bit......
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#57 of 128 Edward Brand

Edward Brand

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted January 08 2004 - 07:29 PM

My copy should be here tomorrow. I will post my findings. That said, I have always thought the Columbia House transfers were quite nice. Having these same elements sans the limitations of the vhs format is just what the doctor ordered as far as I am concerned. Later.

#58 of 128 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 01:11 AM

One thing that struck me about the DVDs' image quality is that some scenes are really, really dark. One that comes to mind is the weightless scene in the first episode. I'm not sure if that was to hide the wires, which are nonetheless visible if you look for them, but I don't recall the scene being that dark previously. (I am going from memory, though. I have nothing for a physical comparison.) I actually thought a setting had gone out of whack on my TV set.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#59 of 128 Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 02:53 AM

I too have the Columbia House VHS transfers (I have Season 1, 2 and maybe some of 3).

These are really very nice for VHS - some of the best of old TV series' that I have. Since the DVD will certainly be better (even if only a little bit), they should make most fans very happy.

I'll probably get the new DVDs and sell the VHS on eBay just to make room on my shelves.

I'm also waiting for the Hogan's Heros DVDs since I have a lot of theose VHS's to move out.

Mike

#60 of 128 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted January 09 2004 - 04:10 AM

The Painnnn. The Painnnn!
I hope this isnt true. I'll find out next week.

Forum Nav Content I Follow