What's new

Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) Update: First "Two" films Releases (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I'm sure there's already an existing thread on this, but I came acorss the review on DVDfile of the upcoming Sherlock Holmes collection Vol 1, and was wondering if any one knows what the release pattern of this will be. I mean, I know there is a second set due in November, but what is the status of the rest of the Rathbone/Bruce cannon.

I appreciate all the feedback.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Dunno about the release schedule, but the lack of features surprised me. Didn't someone say there would be commentary?

Dan Ramer

Agent
When DVDfile requested the Sherlock Holmes Collection Number One set from MPI, they obliged us with the four films separately packaged, and I did not receive a Collection One slipcase that indicates the presence of supplements. Despite not finding the extras I expected based on prerelease information, I didn’t give it much thought. Studios frequently change specifications between announcement and release, and I’ve been sent screeners that were considerably different from the released DVD. For example, my screener of Lantana had a far longer featurette than was included on the commercial release.

I found only one audio track on each of the screeners I reviewed and I cannot find any references to extras on any of those discs (if I’ve overlooked them, I’d appreciate some kind reader guiding me to them). It seems possible that the supplements are included in the collection package only. I had assumed that what MPI sent was representative of the collection - not a very Holmsian deduction, I admit. I’ve reviewed over 450 DVDs and I try to be extremely careful and thorough, including trying to find any easter eggs, but as just another fallible reviewer, I do make mistakes. I appreciate having this oversight brought to my attention and will submit a revision to my review.

Dan

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had assumed that what MPI sent was representative of the collection - not a very Holmsian deduction
But a pretty fair one; if what they've sent you isn't representative of the collection then it's a terrible piece of PR on their part, and you can hardly be blamed if your review is incorrect.

Could you let us know what MPI say Dan?

---
So many films, so little time...

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, thanks for the explanation.

One point I'd appreciate clearing up. Your initial review stated no English subtitles/captions. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that MPI told me in an e-mail that English subtitles were going to be included.

I rely on them quite heavily so I'll be quite disappointed if they weren't. I have a hard time imagining a fairly major release not having them.

Many thanks in advance!

Dan Ramer

Agent
Paul,

Okay, now I'm embarrassed. After claiming to be careful, I find that I deleted the wrong line after applying my review template to the Microsoft Word file and didn’t catch it before submitting the Holmes collection review for publication. “No subtitles or Closed Captions are included” should have read “English subtitles are provided but no Closed Captions are included.” I guess that’s what happens when you have screeners waiting and feel the pressure of time. Sigh. Another correction is on its way to the site. :b

Dan

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for the clarification Dan.

Hey, we're all only human. Mistakes can and do happen. They're no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Keep up the great work.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's been an update at DVDfile and I think this explains what went wrong:

"The collection includes an audio commentary by author David Stuart Davies, a photo gallery, and a clutch of original movie posters. MPI is releasing the four films two ways, separately packaged, sans supplements, as well as with the extras, included only in the collection package."

---
So many films, so little time...

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Collection #3 will complete the trilogy of the Univeral releases. I've read elsewhere that the commentary for "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" will be recorded in December. That should put the two Foxes ("Hound" and "Adventures") into late first quarter for a release timeframe.

I'm hoping MPI will be getting this set out timely so that I can get my pre-order somewhat close to the 28th. I've been waiting for the restored versions to come to DVD for several years now.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Are you referring here to Collection #1 (to be released 10/28)?
Yes. This is easily my most anticipated DVD purchase of the year. I made the comment because I've been using DDD for pre-orders and my two most recent pre-orders have arrived over a week late. Normally I wouldn't care, but I've been salivating over this set ever since it was announced.

I just wish that this set and the Dick Van Dyke sets weren't released so close together. Unless someone has a really good opening week price on the Van Dyke sets, I may have to temporarily defer them to space out the impact on the bank account.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Unless someone has a really good opening week price on the Van Dyke sets, I may have to temporarily defer them to space out the impact on the bank account.
You do realize, Paul, that DVD Empire has mis-priced the MSRP on both Van Dykes, resulting in a much lower take-home price at the present time from them. If I were you, I'd Pre-Order these gems from Empire before they hike the $$$ (which I'll bet will happen on October 21-22).

Plus: Don't forget the $5.00 off coupon you can also attach to your V.Dyke order, to make it even a better deal and offset the $2.25 S&H that they now charge for bulkier boxed sets @ Empire. :)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I was searching through Critic's Choice Video when I noticed Sherlock Holmes titles that are unmistakenly the Basil Rathbone - Nigel Bruce series (titles like Pursuit To Algiers and Shelock Holmes in Washington). There was no details, only dates of Oct. 28 and Jan 27. Does anybody know the specifics of these re-releases? I will buy them the day they come out. These are great, but only if they look as good as the Key Video VHS or Laserdiscs, those were excellent transfers.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Answered my own question - MPI video is working with the UCLA film archives to restore the 12 Universal films. Unfortunately, the first two 20th century Fox films will not be part of the restore, but will be included last. This is great, you can buy each film separately or as 3 4-film sets. The sets will have bonus material, too.
Finally, something is being done right about this series. Some of the films in this group has been released in terrible form, the 4 that get pushed around in public domain are broken, edited, washed out.
I saw the original nitrate prints at the Stanford Theater. Incredible! such clarity compared to the VHS tapes.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Well David, I didn't take your advice about pre-ordering Van Dyke from DVD Empire, but I'm glad I didn't :)

The Best Buy deal on this is excellent and I will be picking up boxes 1 and 2 this week. One of the best TV shows ever.

It looks like I'm going to be waiting awhile on the Holmes set anyway. DDD tells me that altough they have the sets in, they won't be shipping me Volume 1 until the actual release date of 10/28 which means I'll be getting them the second week of November if I'm lucky.

I haven't heard the actual broadcast, but Leonard Maltin has plugged the Holmes set in one of his radio spots. I have a feeling that this will do quite well for MPI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks