-

Photo
- - - - -

any Smallville Season 1 reviews yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   hong_suy

hong_suy

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 10:30 AM

With the release date less than a week away, I was wondering if there were any DVD reviews for the series out there anywhere..

Thanks for reading.

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 11:16 AM

The second review says the DVDs include "Dolby Stereo" soundtracks. That would suck if we only get 2.0 mixes, considering the pilot DVD had 5.1 and the R2 Season 1 set is rumored to be getting the same.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   hong_suy

hong_suy

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure it is only a 2.0 dolby surround mix although some retailers suggest 5.1. I guess I'll find out in a week or so as my copy shipped a few hours ago to my suprise..

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 01:52 PM

They may be using the 5.1 remix from the Canadian DVD on the first two episodes then the original 2.0 surround on the rest.
My Collection

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 04:34 PM

So, Smallville fans, I started watching the show in the second season, so I've seen only small bits of season one.

Is the first season as good or nearly as good the second? I'm pretty sure I'll be buying this soon.

Also, are these DVD-18 discs?

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:23 PM

The first season suffers from a serious case of "Monster-of-the-week-itis" like buffy and angel. They took way too long inttroducing his powers, to the point where you don't need to have seen episodes 4-10 to enjoy the series. However, there is character work done in each that starts to add little lairs and details to the series. there are only one or two that approach the quality of season 2, however.

I would say if you are a big enough fan to pay the retail price for the box set, then you won't be disappointed b/c the last few eps are very good, even though the middle half of the eps contained in it are weak.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:44 PM

The first half of Season 1 was pretty weak, but I did enjoy that creepy finale to the episode with the old psychic lady and Lex Luthor.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 11:25 AM

I actually quit watching the show as the first half of the first season was all someone getting exposed to kryponite, goign crazy, getting powers and trying to kill someone. Usually Lana. My parents convinced me to pick it back up though and I've been happy with it since.
My Collection

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 09:38 AM

In case anyone is interested, Warner Bros. used the same style of packaging they use for the Babylon 5 sets and not the style they use for the Friends/ER sets.

Which means I'm waiting for my replacement set to arrive to see if I can ever build a complete set of unscratched discs.

How hard is it to get these discs locked onto the hubs and keep them there? The number of loose discs I encounter is insane. It's been my experience that the B5/Smallville and non-slim case Fox sets are the worst offenders.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   BrandonJF

BrandonJF

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted September 19 2003 - 10:40 AM

Also, just to confirm, the audio is 2.0 all the way. Even the first two episodes, which were 5.1 on the Canadian disc, are 2.0 in this season set.

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:17 AM

I just got done watching the first season on DVD, and it completely exceeded my expectations in every way. Anyone know what the WB's plans are for releasing the second season? That finale cliffhanger left me anxiously awaiting the second season, and I hope it isn't too long before I can own it.

Posted Image

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:26 AM

I'm hoping it won't be too long either. It could be next year to time in with the premiere of the fourth season, based on the release date of this set, but that's wishful thinking at best.

As for extras, I hope that they really go to town with the extras in the next set. Porting everything over from the single-disc release was not too thrilling an idea for me, since the only new extras this time around were the "Smallville Sizzes" spot and the "Tarzan and Jane" and "Fearless" promos. I hope they put in more real meat the next time, particularly with more deleted scenes from episodes, production segments, B-roll behind-the-scenes footage from the sets, and episode trailers. I would especially love it if they would do a featurette on the making of the now-classic episode "Rosetta" and a special tribute to Christopher Reeve on the set. And having a web link to the Smallville Yearbook site would be good, too.

Next to the making of "Rosetta" and the Christopher Reeve tribute, I want to see them do all the episodes in Dolby 5.1 Digital sound! Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:43 AM

Geez, timed to the fourth season? I hope not. I wish there was a way they could release the second set early next year and the third set late next summer. That way, I would be all caught up and could watch season 4 live.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:16 AM

That way, I would be all caught up and could watch season 4 live.

I was hoping the same thing. My wish is that Season 2 would be released in December (similar to Alias) so that the third season could be released next September, and then I could finally start watching the eps as they air.

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 09:30 AM

Of course, I'm just taking a wild guess as to when the WB would release the Season 2 set, based on the release date of the first set. It really is in the WB's court as to when it comes out. I agree, Greg, I hope it's soon, in the early part of '04.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 30 2003 - 10:15 AM

I know it was just a guess, but it's painfully possible that you're right. Posted Image

Do you know WB's track record on TV box sets? I don't even know what shows they have released other than Smallville. I hope they release new seasons frequently. Come to think of it, I do think they've done the B5 sets in pretty short order. Of course, that's not a currently-airing show, which could make a difference.

As I said in the other thread, I plan to record season 3 so I can watch it as soon as I'm done with season 2. At least, that'll be the plan unless a quicker schedule is announced. I'd rather not watch VHS tapes if I can avoid it.

Edit: I also looked at the Friends release schedule, which has been a little erratic. I couldn't find out when the first season was released, but it was seven months from second to third, then three months to the fourth season, and now four months to the fifth season. Hopefully, Smallville will follow a similar pattern. Well, except that seven month gap. Posted Image

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 10:48 AM

The major difference between Friends and Smallville, though, is that one would think the purpose of releasing Smallville on DVD is at least partly to attract new viewers. A show like Friends was looking more to take advantage of fans who would buy it, whereas I'd guess Smallville hopes to increase its audience. That strategy paid off big time for 24, and this season Alias has tried the same. I say this because Smallville's audience is unlikely to increase from the DVD since I'd guess fans such as myself won't want to see the third without seeing the second. Unless they find a way to release the third season before the fourth starts next year, it's unlikely the DVDs will do much to increase the viewing audience.

Just my $0.02...

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,846 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 30 2003 - 11:00 AM

I think that's right. I'm mainly looking at it as a DVD-only show right now. I wish I could start in tomorrow, but I really only started watching with this set, and I can't just blow off a season. Posted Image

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted September 30 2003 - 01:58 PM

I finished the set Sunday night and now I'm totally addicted to the show. Fortunately, I had access to the entire second season on VHS, so I'm working my through those now. Hope they release the second season soon, though. I'd love to watch it in widescreen.