What's new

John Woo's The Killer - Criterion DVD & "The White Ring" (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Hi - a quick question for those in the know...

I asked a friend to sell a copy of "The Killer" Criterion DVD on eBay for me. I picked it up at a used store, and already had my own copy, so thought I'd sell this one.

He just called me to say he'd had about 4 emails already, asking whether the disc had a "white ring."

I've just been checking eBay - sellers do mention it, but I didn't find a clear explanation of it. Looks like both versions are valid, but the white ring may be a first pressing? It seems to be desirable.

This is actually the first I've heard about this. Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks for any help, as always...

Bleddyn

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Legit copies (as far as I know, though I may be mistaken, there was only one pressing by Criterion) have a white frosted ring round the centre of the disc. It's the quickest and easiest way to tell if it's the real deal or not, hence the various e-mails you've been getting on the topic.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Thanks for your feedback Jon.

On another board, there are people who think there are legitimate copies with both rings. However, the white ring seems to be the favoured version and so its what people are going for.

I compared my copy at home (white ring) with the version I'm selling (non-white ring) and found them to be identical in every way, from the pressing plant's coding on the inner ring to the printing of the cover and inserts. I find it very hard to believe that this could be a boot.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Legit copies (as far as I know, though I may be mistaken, there was only one pressing by Criterion) have a white frosted ring round the centre of the disc. It's the quickest and easiest way to tell if it's the real deal or not, hence the various e-mails you've been getting on the topic.
Huh, my copy is a legit and it doesn't have the white ring, so the lack of the whtie ring doesn't automatically equal bootleg.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Well, I cancelled my auction on eBay. Why, you ask? Well, my friend tried to help last night, by adding "explanatory" text to the auction. The thing is, he was tired, and...

With his blessing, here for your entertainment is what he wrote. If you can get through this with a straight face, you're a stronger man than I....

I HAVE EXAMINED THE DISK AND SEE NO WHITE RING IN THE MIDDLE. IT IS SERIAL NUMBERED AND HAS A VERY INTERESTING INSERT CONTAINING COMMENTARY WRITTEN BY DAVID CHUTE. I DO NOT KNOW WHO HE IS BUT IT GOES INTO HOW THE MOVIE WAS MADE ETC. I HAVE RESEARCHED THE RING PHENOMINON AND IT SEEMS THERE IS A PREMIUM PLACED ON SUCH DISKS. I CANNOT TELL IF THE RING IS THERE. I DO NOT SEE ONE BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE DISK AND INSERT IN THE BOX AND CANNOT ADD IT SO I WILL BE HAPPY TO EMAIL IT TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES. I DO NOT CLAIM THIS IS A COLLECTABLE IT IS AN OUT OF PRINT FILM THAT IS FUN TO WATCH.

:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks