Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Heads up on "Soap Season One"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:32 AM

I Bought "Soap Season One" today & I skimmed all three discs. For the most part, it's not bad; in fact, the first 15 episodes have the original expanded opening sequence not seen since the original Prime-time airings. HOWEVER, for some reason Columbia-Tristar used the early 1980s syndicated versions of episodes 16 & 17 (with the shortened recaps & the fadeout before the "Portrait Fight") & the picture quality on these two episodes is not as good as the other episodes. I dont think any actual episode content was cut, though. All of the other episodes before and after episodes 16 & 17 are fully uncut. Just wanted to let everyone know in advance

#2 of 25 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 11:42 AM

James - Do you think the original tapes of those two episodes were damaged or destroyed somehow?

Thanks for the heads-up, I still plan to have this ASAP. Posted Image

#3 of 25 James_Garner

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 12:26 PM

Quote:
James - Do you think the original tapes of those two episodes were damaged or destroyed somehow?

I have no idea. Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe someone who has the original Columbia House tapes might know.

#4 of 25 Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 02:22 PM

Just want to let everyone know that this set includes Chapter Stops something folks bitched about with The Jeffersons and Good Times.

#5 of 25 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,378 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the info...I've bought my copy but haven't broken the wrapper on it yet. Won't until the weekend, probably.

I imagine that the alternate versions of those two eps were due to damaged original elements. Columbia has done this before where necessary. Them's the breaks. It's good to know that you think the episode is complete, though. I never saw the eps enough times to have known the difference, personally. I'll enjoy what I've got, I'm sure.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 25 Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,762 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 08:24 AM

Quote:
I imagine that the alternate versions of those two eps were due to damaged original elements. Columbia has done this before where necessary. Them's the breaks.

That didn't happen with Season 2 of Sanford & Son. There's an old thread about it somewhere, but one of the episodes is a cut syndicated version. A longer version does exist because I had seen this episode on TV Land about a week before I watched the DVD. The TV Land version is indeed longer, but still shorter than it probably was in 1974 or so. In this instance, original elements apparently were available but Columbia just screwed up. Which Columbia release are you referring to?

Jeff

#7 of 25 RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 12:12 AM

I'm not going to bother getting Soap season one until season two is out.

CTHV bit me once on Larry Sanders, and I'm not keen to be bitten again.
Blücher!

#8 of 25 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 12:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to bother getting Soap season one until season two is out.

It's kind of a Catch-22. Unless enough people buy season 1, they won't release season 2.

With Larry Sanders, the reason people didn't buy it was because it was overpriced. They've come down in prices for current sets. Great set, wish others would have been released.

#9 of 25 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
It's kind of a Catch-22. Unless enough people buy season 1, they won't release season 2.

This is why season 2 of The Mary Tyler Moore Show doesn't exist. The Soap season 1 set is so cheap (seriously -- it's $20 for 20-some-odd episodes!) that I don't mind making the investment to help ensure a second season on DVD.

#10 of 25 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 06:47 AM

FWIW - Soap Season 1 is #29 on the Amazon best sellers list... (as of 12:30 9/18)

#11 of 25 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 18 2003 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

How do you know they're uncut?
What did you compare them to?

I think I can live with a shortened theme song on a couple of episodes, as long as none of the scenes are cut. I would have thought they'd put the summertime clip shows on seasons 1 2 (and 3 if there was a 3rd) since season four is going to be 1 hour episodes and will be long enough on its own.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#12 of 25 Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 05:50 PM

I've only seen Season 2 befor I got the box set but what I love is how sweet the show can be one second and then offensive the next. I don't think there has ever been a show like this again and TV really needs one.

My favorite moment:

Cop: Your a suspect.

Benson: Me? Why?

Cop: 2 reasons. One: Because your black.

Benson: Sounds fair.

They'd NEVER get away with a scene that brutally offensive and brutally honest again. I love this show!

#13 of 25 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted September 18 2003 - 06:53 PM

Watching it right now and loving it. Robert Guillaume and Billy Crystal especially shine; I can see how this show made the careers of both these actors.

I also wanted to note that the packaging and the disc art are gorgeous for a Columbia TriStar release.

#14 of 25 Pascal D

Pascal D

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted September 20 2003 - 06:34 AM

i order this last week .can't wait to watch it.

P.S. It's a blind purchase for me.I think i will love it Posted Image

I hope that they will release all 4 seasons though

#15 of 25 ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 09:21 AM

Episodes 16 and 17 are 2 and a half to three minutes shorter than all of the other episodes.

#16 of 25 Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Episodes 16 and 17 are 2 and a half to three minutes shorter than all of the other episodes.

So that begs the question: are we dealing with edited episodes or not? I can understand some shortfalls from the shortened intros and episode recaps, but 2.5 - 3 minutes sounds more like syndication cuts.

#17 of 25 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted September 21 2003 - 03:26 PM

They are syndication versions. I don't know whether the full episodes are lost -- I remember that The Comedy Network in Canada, which runs Soap uncut on Saturdays, was sent a few cut episodes (including the pilot, which is uncut on the DVD), but I don't remember whether these two were among them. It's a disappointment because one of those episodes is among my favorites (the William Daniels episode), but I don't know that there's anything to be done about it. Posted Image

#18 of 25 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,978 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 22 2003 - 02:32 AM

Once again, I have the Columbia house tapes and will document to them what has been cut.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#19 of 25 RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 01:24 AM

For what it's worth, I couldn't resist the $19.99 price tag at Costco. So feel free to ignore my earlier post. Posted Image
Blücher!

#20 of 25 Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted September 25 2003 - 04:49 PM

This thread brings up an interesting point. We've always heard that many motion pictures from before 1950 no longer exist and most early television that wasn't preserved on kinescope is long gone. Have we lost some recent television also?

"Soap" isn't all that old, but it appears that at least two complete episodes from the 1st season are gone. Was there truly only one complete episode of broadcast quality in existence?

Hypothetically speaking does this mean that other shows from the 70's that aren't often syndicated ("Cannon", "Barnaby Jones", etc.) could be lost forever or exist only in truncated prints if a single master was damaged?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the workings of the archiving of television shows can chime in. Please note that I am only talking about episodic television, not daily game shows or talk shows which were not well preserved even in the 70's.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow