What's new

Cheaper yamaha dvd players (1 Viewer)

Christopher_R

Auditioning
How are some of the cheaper yamaha single disc dvd players? How do they compare in picture quality with other dvd players. I saw one at best buy, cant remember the model number for 150 dollars. Progressive scan.

Chad-St

Auditioning
After a month of dealing with progressive scan compatibility issues with the Denon DVD-910 and the Sony 34XBR800, all I wanted was a progressive scan player that actually worked. I read a good review on the Yamaha DV-S5650 so I started to search around for it. I ended up finding it at Best Buy about a month ago for $150 bucks, so I bought it. I have it hooked up to my Sony 34XBR800 TV and it looks great. I’ve watched about 20 movies on it and haven’t experienced any problems. One important thing for me was to have the coaxial digital output. That is one feature that is usually missing on the $150 and under DVD players. It can read MP3’s and Jpeg’s, which I tested out and it’s pretty cool. It says it can also read DVD+R/+RW/-R/-RW, but I haven’t tested that.

As far as the DV-S5650 comparing to other players, well, I’m not too sure. The more expensive players $300 and up will most likely have better technical specs, but how much better and will you even notice the difference? To me, the DV-S5650 looks great and sounds great and I think it’s an awesome player for $150 bucks. Plus, I been through two $300 Denon DVD-910’s with the “must have” Faroudja chip and they didn’t even work with my TV. So now I have a progressive scan player that actually works and I saved $150 bucks. Woohoo!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
and it converts PAL to NTSC. You can read my review on it
here

I wrote the wrong model number, though. I always get confused with Yamaha model numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks