-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

No buzz/reviews for the 9/30 Warner classics yet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 of 97 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 08:30 AM

i don't know about anyone else, but i think i'm more anxious for The Adventures Of Robin Hood than i am for Indiana jones (although i'm excited to be seeing that too of course).

when do you think we'll start seeing reviews on this and the other two?

#2 of 97 Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 09:10 AM

Quote:
i don't know about anyone else, but i think i'm more anxious for The Adventures Of Robin Hood than i am for Indiana jones

Me too Paul... I can assure you, I've ordered them for review (the whole Legends Set in fact)... as soon as I get them...

Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#3 of 97 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:09 AM

I believe websites are only allowed to post reviews of Warner discs a week or so before streetdates (presumably so as to keep them fresh in people's minds).

#4 of 97 Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:11 AM

WB is 14 days...
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#5 of 97 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:15 AM

Quote:
WB is 14 days...
So that's today. We should see some reviews very soon.

#6 of 97 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 10:15 AM

I am getting really pumped up about the release of these Legend DVDs, in particular Robin Hood

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#7 of 97 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted September 16 2003 - 03:39 PM

Robin Hood just arrived today - reviews should pop up in the next couple of days. Sierra Madre and Doodle Dandy are supposed to come in later this week...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#8 of 97 Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:48 AM

The Big Picture has some screenshots of Robin Hood up.

One word: WOW.

"By conservative estimate, the goddamned-ist thing ever seen." - James Agee on Bill and Coo (1948)

#9 of 97 Bill Burns

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 04:35 AM

Don't forget that those who order all three by ordering the Warner Legends Boxed Set (rather than buying them individually) reportedly receive a bonus documentary only available in the box. Posted Image My order's been in a while now, but they won't arrive until a day or two after street.

Oh, yes: buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That should make up for some of its lack. Posted Image This is a tremendous release which, when combined with next month's double whammy of WB's Looney Tunes set and Lon Chaney Collection set, might well make them studio of the year in my book.

“That line was screwy.”

- Outtake
Warner Bros.' Breakdowns of 1938

#10 of 97 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:40 AM

I'm ready too, still drooling over the artwork. But I'm getting this as a birthday present so will have to wait another month to watch.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#11 of 97 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,465 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted September 17 2003 - 05:49 AM

Quote:
The Big Picture has some screenshots of Robin Hood up.

Posted Image
The 30th can not come soon enough!

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 97 ChristopherBlig

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator

• 205 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 09:48 AM

Here's an advanced take on The Adventures of Robin Hood
from Matt Brighton

"RUN AWAY!!!! RUN AWAY!!!!"
(Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

My DVD Collection
My DVD Collection Too The 29 Days of Oscar are at dvdauthority.com...thanks again to all

#13 of 97 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 12:12 PM

Quote:
Now I may catch some feedback for this, but I was really kind of let down. Now don’t get me wrong, for a movie of this age the picture does look stunning in all it’s full-frame glory, but I don’t feel that it packed the same punch that “Singin…” did.

that's kinda disappointing.
i probably shouldn't have built this one up in my head so much.
but i remember thinking that the copies of TAORH i've seen down the years looked in at least as good, if not better than SITR, so i was expecting the same hyper-tight registration.
the colors were always a knockout on this.

i checked out those screenshots over on the BP, but its hard to tell much.
it looks like there is a bit of color fringing going on, but who knows with all the comression used on the jpgs.

i know its only one review, but...

#14 of 97 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 12:35 PM

ROBIN HOOD has always had several problem spots in both picture and sound, particularly the scene where Robin meets Friar Tuck. There are several blurry shots there, and the sound gets very rough. This occurs on every version of ROBIN HOOD released to video(I've had 'em all), including the Criterion Laserdisc and the last MGM/UA disc. So there may be things that will never look perfect in this film, considering the source material. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for the reviewers disappointment.

Personally, I can't wait for the 30th. ROBIN HOOD, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and the Kino MAN WHO LAUGHS DVD. Gonna be a great DVD day!Posted Image

#15 of 97 Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:14 PM

Hee hee, that's just the beginning. If you guys only knew the classics Warner is releasing in 2004 -- all of the remaining Warner-owned Best Picture winners, among them Grand Hotel, The Great Ziegfeld, Mrs. Miniver, Mutiny on the Bounty, Around the World in 80 Days in 16:9 with the Entr'acte, Intermission, and Exit music. Also more Oscar-winning performances like Anastasia, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (16X9), etc.

2004 is definitely shaping up to be the "The Year of the Classics" for Warner.

#16 of 97 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,656 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:47 PM

What a week - these three PLUS Victory At Sea.....
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#17 of 97 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,211 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 02:53 PM

Brian, if Mutiny on the Bounty is really happening, that would be great. I'm very much looking forward to adding that one to my library. That is the Charles Laughton version you're talking about and not the Brando, right?

Neil

#18 of 97 Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 17 2003 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
That is the Charles Laughton version you're talking about and not the Brando, right?

Right, but according to the last Warner chat, they're working on the Marlon Brando version as well. I think they said they're trying to find the stereo tracks.

#19 of 97 Derek_McL

Derek_McL

Second Unit

• 316 posts

Posted September 17 2003 - 07:13 PM

That indeed sounds great Brian but some of those titles have never been mentioned before, the sceptic in me wonders if there are enough dates in the year for all the Best Picture winners, the Marx Brothers, the Hitchcocks, silents, Flynn, Cagney, Meet Me In St Louis, That's Entertainment and all the new stuff that's likely to come out,yet all of that was vaguely promised in the chat. If that all comes to pass it willl indeed be the year of the classics but on past form it looks like rather a lot of catalog material to expect in one year. Maybe I'm wrong I hope I am if you are in the know Brian are these still all lined up for 2004 or are some beginning to slide ?

#20 of 97 Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 17 2003 - 08:15 PM

Quote:
if you are in the know Brian are these still all lined up for 2004 or are some beginning to slide ?

I don't really know the release dates, but I'll speculate, due to the fact that all these Oscar-winners are being worked on at once, that they MAY be part of an Oscar tie-in early next year. However, that's pure speculation on my part. But I'm quite sure these are all first quarter releases for 2004.

I cannot imagine, at the stage they're currently at in the production process, that any of the titles I mentioned would be pushed to 2005. These are all WELL on their way to being completed. (Except the Brando "Mutiny" -- I don't know the status of that.)

Quote:
the sceptic in me wonders if there are enough dates in the year for all the Best Picture winners, the Marx Brothers, the Hitchcocks, silents, Flynn, Cagney, Meet Me In St Louis, That's Entertainment and all the new stuff that's likely to come out

These Oscar-winners will almost certainly be out before any Hitchcocks, Marx Brothers, or Meet Me in St. Louis. I am almost positive none of those things you mention are first quarter releases.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow